Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Jen Kingwell blocks and finished quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/jen-kingwell-blocks-finished-quilts-t297401.html)

Teen 01-27-2019 08:50 AM

I'm sure it will be beautiful, Anael. I finished border 2 with the setting triangles and now sewing all the blocks together for border 4. All that is left is sewing the hexi's for border 1 and 3. I'm close. I did the freezer paper and starch method on hexi's just to try a different method of applique...it worked well and there is no stiff stabilizer to contend with but takes longer to do...

Anael 01-27-2019 09:26 AM

You're more confident than I am :)
Freezer paper and starch method: you iron on freezer paper, starch the fabric, iron the seams and remove the freezer paper? Or starch the fabric first before ironing on the paper?

Teen 01-27-2019 09:37 AM

Freezer paper first, starch as you turn edge...I used a Q-Tip but others use small brushes. I didn't have one accessible and Q-tip worked. I thought about using the paper pieces for hexi's and glue but you still have to starch good before pulling out paper pieces. I am all about quick techniques... Lol

Anael 01-27-2019 10:46 AM

So you pull the paper out before sewing the hexi's down I guess? Otherwise you sew the paper to the fabric and can't get it out anymore.
Do you make your own starch?

sewingitalltogether 01-27-2019 11:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]607501[/ATTACH]
Sure wish I knew how to turn my pictures. Here is the top right hand of the quilt. Section 2. The top part of it, not the whole section 2.
I didn't like the 12" block JK had. So, I found one in Block Base that is very close. It's called Dove in the Window from the Kansas City Star 1939. Has a few names. This block was a handful! I did cut off a few points. I'm not winning any awards for this quilt. My sister calls it my acceptable allowance of mistakes. Also added the purple flower block below it and the Churn Dash to the right. I can already see areas that I want to rip out and replace. Still digging through my pile of scraps piled up on the floor. Good Grief. But I am glad to be using all those scraps.
Looks to be horribly cold this. Week. This quilt has definitely gotten me out of my recliner and into my sewing room for a good 5 hours a day. I'm not fast, just persistent.

Teen 01-28-2019 03:26 PM

Looking great, sewingitalltogether! Your improvisation is working out super. I like the dove block...those Y-seams are a bit challenging. The pattern can, also, be challenging. Just take one block at a time as you are doing.

Anael...yes, remove freezer paper before sewing..otherwise, you'll have a real mess on your hands..lol.. For starch, I just used Best Press....worked great...

I was able to a sew a bit again today and sewed border 1 on to center. Had to miter corners and found a super easy method. Turned out really nice. Next border is ready to go on and has Y-seams at the corner....tackling that tomorrow as I wait to hear news of sister in surgery. My anxiety has been thru the roof. Our house is back on the market....had 2 buyers yesterday so we'll see how fast we can make this happen.

Anael 01-28-2019 10:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You sure you want to tackle the Yseams while waiting? For me that would be a recipe to disaster.

For your sister. I know it's early, here it's 8 am. I will burn a candle for her all day, can't to it tonight as I won't be home.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]607589[/ATTACH]

Anael 01-29-2019 12:11 AM

Teen, my dear friend, hang in there. I can't say it will be ok but you will get through this somehow.

Blue Bell 01-29-2019 07:58 AM

Teen, Hugs and healing thoughts for your sister.

Anael 01-29-2019 09:05 AM

The second border of BD is finished. Now to finish all the large blocks of the 3rd and final border. This afternoon I went for a ride and tonight I have a meeting so no sewing. Maybe tomorrow.
Picture tomorrow!

Teen.........you're hanging in there?