Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Newbies challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/newbies-challenge-t38362.html)

pottsella 03-15-2011 03:52 PM

I googled sewing rooms/orginazation and found a ton of sewing room pics with great ideas on how to organize your fabric and countless other innovative ideas. Try it!

cozycrafter 03-15-2011 04:31 PM

It would be great to have a go to person for my many questions. I have been sewing for years, but I am new to the quilting world. I have seen so many amazing quilts. I have become hooked. I would love to have your help. Thank You Pam,,,Cozy Crafter

Havplenty 03-15-2011 04:33 PM

I think this is a great idea. I would love to have a mentor. I want to learn free motion quilting FMQ) and I am thinking about taking a class on long arm quilting. I am not intimidated tackling quilt patterns that interest me (thanks to thread nippers and seam rippers) but I want to get the skill of FMQ under my belt.

I am drawn to art quilts and very colorful contemporary ones, not so much the traditional ones unless I can put a contemporary and update spin to them Will someone be my mentor?

Moommist13344 03-16-2011 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by coyotebait
This Newbie challenge is a great idea... I'm a total Newbie, so new that last night I cut my first every 5"x5" square. Today I have cut 27 more. LOL... So I can use all the help without being made to feel stupid. Thank you for helping any and all NEWBIE's like me.

I'd be most happy to be your mentor, Coyotebait!.. if you don't already have one.

quiltmouse 03-16-2011 07:01 AM

Well, I am a newbie, here & technically, in quilting.

I would like both a momma & a daughter.

Work full time, so would only be available evenings/wknds for incoming & outgoing assistance.

NanaSews 03-17-2011 03:45 PM

I'm a newbie & looking for a mentor!!

QuiltnNan 03-18-2011 06:20 AM

My machine does not drop the feed dogs, either. The first [and only] time I tried fm on that machine, I just reduced the tension of the presser foot. It seemed to work just fine, as opposed to my working just fine... LOL. I was trying stippling for the first time and thought that it had to be a specific pattern to it and sewing lines must not cross. I have since learned that you can make your own design and the quilt police will not arrive if you cross the line :)

CIGAINEROJD 03-18-2011 06:51 AM

Anyone from TExas or Arkansas want to adopt me please?

quiltmouse 03-18-2011 07:03 AM

DeAnna, what is your skill level?

I lived in Texas 6 years & I live in Kansas (sorry, no AR) ;) :mrgreen:

Moommist13344 03-18-2011 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
My machine does not drop the feed dogs, either. The first [and only] time I tried fm on that machine, I just reduced the tension of the presser foot. It seemed to work just fine, as opposed to my working just fine... LOL. I was trying stippling for the first time and thought that it had to be a specific pattern to it and sewing lines must not cross. I have since learned that you can make your own design and the quilt police will not arrive if you cross the line :)

Nancy, You can always use the masking tape... just tape over the feed dogs and fm away.. or you can purchase this teflon sheet - that lays across the feed dogs and lets you move your quilt more freely, too. It is called Supreme Slider. developed by " Pat LaPierre". I purchased my online but you may be able to get it at your LQS
xoxoxo