Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Newbies challenge (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/newbies-challenge-t38362.html)

JNCT14 05-10-2010 10:31 AM

Agreed and here is the challenge to the newbies - let's see your work!!! I have been talking to a couple of people on the freezer paper method for hand applique and would love some input on what worked and what didn't

Dawnfire 05-11-2010 12:10 AM

Jolo, I'd love for you to adopt me. I will send you a PM.

I feel loved!

sabcoke 05-12-2010 05:56 PM

I have been quilting about a year. Have made 8 quilts. I know there are short cuts for cutting triangles and angles plus I have never appliqued or paper pieced. Would love to learn anything you have to share. I am working on a quilt at this time. Have to lay it out and sew it together but would like to make a quilt with circles or applique.
I appreciate any help you can give.

blueribbontoes 05-13-2010 06:52 AM

OMG! I forgot to mail my adopted daughter her package! I found it behind a shelf! Eeek! If you are my newbie, PLEASE PM me your address asap!!

amma 05-13-2010 05:49 PM

I haven't heard from tkhooper in a while, I am wondering if she got sick or something. She has been keeping track of the adoptions list. Hopefully we hear from her soon :D

crawford1219 05-15-2010 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I haven't heard from tkhooper in a while, I am wondering if she got sick or something. She has been keeping track of the adoptions list. Hopefully we hear from her soon :D

I would like to be adopted if any mentors are available-how do I go about getting on a list?
Thanks!!

shirleyt 05-17-2010 07:39 AM

I have been piecesing for 27 years . would help with questions . would like to be your helper. pm me
shirleyt

livenlearn124 05-17-2010 10:34 AM

<raising hand> Newbie up for adoption!
My Mother and Grandmother were both quilters.

My first quilting project was 20 years ago. I started on a KING SIZE (what was I thinking!) log cabin quilt. I never finished hand quilting it. It is still in a box in the attic. I have never started another quilt.

Now I have a 22 yr old daughter who has asked me to teach her to quilt. I know the very basics and have some of my Mother's items that she used, and alot of blocks that she had made but never put in a quilt. I'd like to eventually use the blocks Momma had made and make a quilt.

In the meantime, my daughter will be coming home for 10 days the first part of June and I'd like to have a simple project for her to work on, but something that would be useful. Any suggestions on which block would be SIMPLE or where I should get her started?

Thank you for your suggestions! I could certainly use them.

cag1949 05-17-2010 02:44 PM

I'm also a newbie and would love to be adopted!! Have been lurking and reading for a couple of months now and am a terrible "I'll start tomorrow" type--have been doing this for 5 yrs. now, ever since I became disabled to where I can't work. Made a log cabin quilt for my dad 30 yrs ago and it wasn't really quilted. Only am interested in machine quilting-just an ordinary machine. Have sooo many want to makes so I am having a long list!!! Eventually would like to learn PP but not right now!

jolo 05-17-2010 02:55 PM

There are so many patterns on the intenet for free download. If you dont know any fabric shops just use your search engine that you like and put in free quilt patterns. Hundred will come up. Pick one that is easy. Like a 9 patch or just blocks put together in rows of a pleasing variety of colors. Or patch work they are all available. If you have
EQ 5, 6, or soon to be available 7, there are block patterns on these. Of course if she needs to to learn how to use the machine you will have to start with that.