Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/)
-   -   Rest and Refreshing BOW Civil War Sampler Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltingboard-challenges-contests-f21/rest-refreshing-bow-civil-war-sampler-quilt-t287811.html)

Jane Quilter 08-29-2017 07:18 PM

teacher: love your block. The red is gorgeous! why did you go 2 clicks to the right?

sewbizgirl 08-30-2017 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 (Post 7896718)
Number 18 is finished! Yeah!

I love this block. I moved my needle 2 clicks to the right. It was big enough to trim slivers off and I am happy.

Connie

[ATTACH=CONFIG]579770[/ATTACH]

It's a gorgeous block, Connie! Everything is there... points, intersections, everything is so perfect. Good work.

Annaquilts 08-30-2017 05:52 AM

It looks gorgeous Connie! Very pretty colors and a good contrast.

lawsonmugs 08-30-2017 11:13 AM

Connie very nice work. Your block is very pretty.

retiredteacher09 08-30-2017 06:39 PM

Thank you for the compliments! Now I need to get busy on this week's clue since I didn't do it as we went along.

Jane Quilter: I moved my needle 2 clicks to the right for an even scantier seam with my 1/4" foot. Most of my other blocks came out an 1/8" or a tad more too small. I thought with this many seams I would try 2 clicks. I'm glad it worked.

Connie

Jane Quilter 08-30-2017 06:44 PM

What a good idea! Jane

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 (Post 7897436)
Thank you for the compliments! Now I need to get busy on this week's clue since I didn't do it as we went along.

Jane Quilter: I moved my needle 2 clicks to the right for an even scantier seam with my 1/4" foot. Most of my other blocks came out an 1/8" or a tad more too small. I thought with this many seams I would try 2 clicks. I'm glad it worked.

Connie

Jane Quilter 08-31-2017 04:51 PM

I didn't realize that this was going to be a twin sized quilt. Any creative ideas to add boarders to enlarge it to a queen size quilt. add pinwheels? add a braid? add flying geese? add 2.5" charms? add 5" charms? It already has a 16 block on point for a boarder. I guess this is the one time I wish I had an EQ7 software program.

Just Jan 08-31-2017 05:40 PM

4 Attachment(s)
What beautiful blocks being shown here! I haven't made the last block yet. I signed up for the new blocks but will probably just make half of them. I made another top for Gloria that to me looks more antique. I used blocks without white or cream. I also took the white blocks out of the first quilt and replaced them with darker blocks. I'm keeping that one for myself. Both are 60 x 60. I used the white blocks and some others for a small lap quilt. I set it together with almond sashing and will be adding a dark border. I also made a quilted tissue box cover to match for Gloria. I still have 13 blocks left so they may become another lap quilt or maybe pillows. The first two pix are not very good. (Bad light) The colors are much more crisp and pretty like in the last two pix. Not sure what I will be using for a dark border for the top in the 3rd pix.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]579844[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]579845[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]579846[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]579847[/ATTACH]

Jane Quilter 08-31-2017 06:44 PM

wow Jan, these are all gorgeous. You sure made a lot of blocks in many different colorways. One is more beautiful than the next. You should be very proud of such an accomplishment.....Jane

sewbizgirl 08-31-2017 07:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter (Post 7897942)
I didn't realize that this was going to be a twin sized quilt. Any creative ideas to add boarders to enlarge it to a queen size quilt. add pinwheels? add a braid? add flying geese? add 2.5" charms? add 5" charms? It already has a 16 block on point for a boarder. I guess this is the one time I wish I had an EQ7 software program.

Jane, take a look at the upcoming BOW and notice that she uses an "alternate block" in the setting... puss in the corner. Something like that will enlarge your quilt. You can do as many or as few as you like. I just did that on a stack and whack quilt I made for donation. I only had 16 4 patches and that would have made too small a quilt. So I added in 12 alternate blocks and then 4 of plain fabric in the 4 corners. On pointe setting and setting triangles, and the size came out so much better.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]579851[/ATTACH]

For a simpler alternate block, an hourglass in two colors works great too. You don't even have to set the blocks on pointe, they will just look like they are because of the hourglasses. Here is a Bonnie Hunter Chunky Churndash I made using hourglasses for alternate blocks. They make the block look like a diamond set on point, but it's really all an easy straight setting.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]579852[/ATTACH]