Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilt Challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by Chele
    Oh, and I don't know that this will encourage or discourage people, but let's donate these somehow. Or keep them. Entirely up to the individual, but I think I would more motivated if my scrap quilt went to build a charity or put a smile on a family member. If you really love it though, please keep it! I'm easy! :D Just have fun! Great idea, Wendy! Recycling is so 2008!
    I think that is a great idea! My twin is so clever!

I will donate mine to a children's cancer hospital. Maybe St. Jude., but that means I would have to keep the quilt small (lap size)

There is a really good hospice here in town, so I could donate there too.

It will be interesting to see where everyone wants their quilt to go, or stay!

Thanks Chele!

ME TOO. bY THEN i SHOULD HAVE ENOUGH SCRAPS..haven't quilted that long. Sounds like fun and good for the pocketbook. i have spent more money than i should on fabric and it still amazes me that i never have the fabric i need when i go to make something!

I found this scrappy bom that is just starting this month. http://www.claudiasquiltshoppe.com/freebom.htm It will be a wonderful way to use up scraps. Oh and by the way I am in on this too! Great idea Wendy!

Debbie

Chele,
    I love your idea! You know though that mine will go to the injured military, right? Not a problem, is it?

Some of the military go to different military hospitals all around the US at major base hospitals. No one would have to send it overseas if they didn't want. But I'm not twisting fingers...I just love the idea of donating quilts, our love of fabric, and the opportunity to touch another life. That's so cool, Chele!

Hugs,
    Sharon

The first quilt I made and it had to have a 3 inch RED border (not my choice) donation to the RCMP in Kelowna, BC. The cruisers there had 2 quilts in each car for use at roadside accidents etc. This quilt was half scrappy and half background fabric that I purchased.

I spent a few afternoons with quilters learning how to piece and assemble various blocks and this was the first project they picked for me.

Since then I have finished 7 other quilts but this is my only scrappy quilt so far, but not the last!

I agree that these projects are great for donation. We also donated to Hospice and Neonatal units at the hospital. We sent about 80 quilts with Doctors without borders and that was a great way to use up all those kids prints that we end up with.

Andi[img][/img]
    Attached Images Attached Images

lin
    That's really pretty Andi. Red border and all!! :)

Blog Entries
    Very pretty quilt Andi, good job! :D :D :D

I love the quilt.
    Judy

I think this will be a great challenge. With all the wonderful ideas for donations, many deserving people will be touched by our creativity and skills.

As for donating or giving to a family member etc. That is what I do all the time. I have yet to make one and keep it. Some day perhapes. :lol: As a matter of fact a lady at my church has a friend who quilts and when she heard that I did she wanted to bring her by to see them and was disappointed that I didn't have any of them. Her friends keeps a lot of what she makes from what she said. :?

Hi, we want pictures please. it sounds sooo pretty. :wink: :D

It seems I am constantly making scrap quilts but my scraps still don't even have a dent in them when I finish....I have THREE huge totes full of scraps! I need to make some more I guess so count me in on this one.

Thanks folks for the kind words..now I will show you the one I did for me!!!! Also I found a really cool pattern online for easy quilts that make up in a couple of hours and they are perfect for donation. You cut 3 quilt tops at once from 3 different fabric patterns and then the fabrics are mixed and matched. we did that for a quilting weekend mini retreat and it was great fun to see what everyone came up with!
    Here is mine:

This is one of the 3 baby quilts called a super 9 patch
    Name:  Attachment-55192.jpe
Views: 134
Size:  39.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Like your thoughts Mimi Sharon on donation to the soldiers, also I'm thinking in the lines of our paramedics for children in car accidents, they are now giving each child a teddy bear. I think a nice blankie would be perfect for them too.

I agree with the donations for children at accident sites

Are we allowed to buy sashing, and backing? If we are I'm in. I've aready started cutting one out. I plan to sew in all by hand.

Ideally, everything would be from scrap or your stash, but there are no rules here!

Especially if you are going to donate your finished quilt, or make it a gift!

I just wanted to see how many of us could make one without cost, or a minimum of cost.

I expect that most will need to buy thread, or batting, or whatever for theirs and whatever you do is okay.

But for backing ideas, please take a peek at quiltville.com ! You might find something you like for yours that will be free!

Does it have to be a bed size quilt. Would 4 lap quilts qualify? Is it OK to buy batting?

I completed a lap quilt yesterday, entirely from my stash, and you can't tell anything is missing. Regarding scrap piles, I keep my scraps in one of the largest Rubermaid tubs, and it's running over.

Quote Originally Posted by Country Quilter
    It seems I am constantly making scrap quilts but my scraps still don't even have a dent in them when I finish....I have THREE huge totes full of scraps! I need to make some more I guess so count me in on this one.
    Send one tote to Patrice, one tote to me.

We will do it justice.

tim in san jose

Blog Entries
    :mrgreen:

Thats a great idea! Lets all make scrap quilts and post the pictures say next November and then donate them to soldiers or St. Judes' hospital or battered women shelter or something along those lines. I'm in! I keep every little scrap and string. Use the smallest pieces to stuff the pin cushions that I make. I love you guys!

Count me in for the stash challenge. I'm sure that my husband will say a resounding "AMEN". I'm afraid that I'll have to stop going to garage sales, though. That's where I find my best bargains. Very little of my stash was purchased at a store.

Great idea!!! Although I have only been actively quilting for a year, I keep looking at my ever-growing mountain of scraps and wondering to myself "what am I supposed to do with those?" I'm sort of a pack rat and refuse to throw out usable fabric. I'll start thinking on a pattern. What fun!!!

count me in

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy2bts
    I found this scrappy bom that is just starting this month. http://www.claudiasquiltshoppe.com/freebom.htm It will be a wonderful way to use up scraps. Oh and by the way I am in on this too! Great idea Wendy!

Debbie
    I quilt with 5 experienced quilters once a week. I've learned so much from them & they are always looking for new ideas. So I told them about the challenge & now all 6 of us are EACH going to make a charity quilt. We are going to do the Simply Scrappy Treasure BOM mentioned above. 2 of the gals are using Thimbleberry scraps, 1 is doing denim, 1 is doing 30's prints, 1 is doing misc scraps & I'm doing batik scraps. Should be fun to see how the same pattern turns out 6 different ways. Everyone already has their Oct. & Nov. blocks done & we're working on Dec. What a GREAT idea.[i] Thanks for the challenge Wendy & the pattern site Debbie!

Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast