Quilt Challenge!

Old 03-28-2010, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
Originally Posted by KatFish
As a new quilter, I have only managed to produce a large shoe box of scraps, after making 19 quilts. I'm SOOOO disapointed in myself. So far my way of dealing with any left over fabric is to make a matching pillow case or pillow to match my quilt. Any strips i have are joined to my growing chinese coin quilt and any blocks are added to my growing Grandmas flower garden quilt. How do I make sure I produce more scrap fabric in the future?
It really sounds like you are already using your scraps! If you just put them in a box instead of CCQ and GFG, you would probably have some more scraps. But personally, I like the way you are doing it, and think I will do the same. Only I won't be making a GFG. Been there......
And at 19 quilts, I wouldn't consider you to be a new quilter. I'll bet you know your way around more than one block! Have you posted any of your quilts? I'd like to see them.
At any rate, I wouldn't worry about not making enough scraps. It's a headache to figure out what to do with them and I don't want to just toss them. So I usually cut them into the largest square they will make, and then the 2nd largest, and 3rd largest, and so on. Then stack them with the other squares of the same size. I have also rectangles and triangles, and strips that are wof. I have made a couple of quilts from this and really enjoy the challenge of putting it all together!.It's supposed to be fun, so don't fret if you don't have scraps!
I think that will be my new motto! LOL
YTQ
Thanks for the tip on cuting scrap fabric. I needed some new ways to figure out what to do with the scraps. I'm working on my third GFGQ, as it works well to get rid of even the small pieces of fabric, but I have to say I would like some new ideas. I have not got any pictures to show as I don't have a digital camera as of yet.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:22 PM

yourstrulyquilt-----LMBO..You are so silly :lol:
Old 03-28-2010, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
We are no more codependent than any other support group we're just more encouraging. LOL We're always here to say "Go for it. You can do it." Run into problems? We'll help you out. Storage problems? We'll come up the solution.
Need a fabric, or a pattern, we'll help you find it. Need help with a quilt? We're here to give opinions and advice.
Just need to vent about something? We'll listen, we're here to listen and send comfort and prayers. All in all you just can't find a better support group than this. Codependent? Enablers? You betcha and proud of it. After all, there's far worse things to be. LOVE THIS GROUP!!!
AMEN TO THAT
Old 03-28-2010, 07:58 PM

Hit the garage sales and thrift stores. And maybe your husbands closet. Rummage sales are good too. You be surprised how much material you can get from a large shirt. Then----- you will have all kinds of scraps to work with. A lot of quilt show sell bags of scraps for very little money. So go get them scraps girlie!
Old 03-29-2010, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by POosterman
Hit the garage sales and thrift stores. And maybe your husbands closet. Rummage sales are good too. You be surprised how much material you can get from a large shirt. Then----- you will have all kinds of scraps to work with. A lot of quilt show sell bags of scraps for very little money. So go get them scraps girlie!
I recently made 7 quilts from 15 shirts sized 3XXX and 73 yards of muslin. My Uncle Gary passed away and my Aunt asked me to make 7 quilts for the family. I can't say they were all spectacular, but the family was very happy to have them.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by KatFish
Originally Posted by POosterman
I recently made 7 quilts from 15 shirts sized 3XXX and 73 yards of muslin. My Uncle Gary passed away and my Aunt asked me to make 7 quilts for the family. I can't say they were all spectacular, but the family was very happy to have them.
How special! And truly a labor of love. I am sure your family truly appreciates what you did for them in making these quilts.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:16 AM

In a similar manner I used well worn dresses - a friend's grandmother passed away and she brought me two suitcases full of dresses and asked if I could make 7 quilts for family members. I, of course, ended up sending most of the dresses to Good Will because I didn't need them, but the family loved the ones I made - I included on the labels a photo of Grandmother and information from her obituary which my friend suggested.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:46 AM

Hi, I'm in also. I have been quilting for 5 years and have a LARGE supply of scraps. I have made a lot of scrap quilts and find that the more you make, the more scraps you have! Also, I usually use scraps on the back of my quilts. I start with a large piece for the middle and then piece large squares to make it the right size. I think it works great and I don't have to go out and buy several yards of fabric.

Happy quilting everyone.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:51 AM

great idea!!
Old 04-01-2010, 09:35 AM

I was thinking about that! I just might try it.