A Quilting Life BOM

Old 03-30-2021, 04:14 PM

I have my machine back and am getting caught up. Here are my first two blocks for my larger versions. The first is an Art Gallery bundle, and the second is, I think, a Bonnie and Camille.

I'm not loving the cluttered look of lots of different neutrals, and am beginning to wish I had purchased some yardage for a consistent background throughout, but it seems late to do that now. I was trying to stick with my bundle fabric for my pinwheels in the second group, but I think I should have gone out of the bundle for something with better contrast. This is definitely a learning experience for me.

Attached Thumbnails img_6463_fotor2.jpg   img_6466_fotor2.jpg  
Old 03-30-2021, 04:59 PM
DJ

Thanks for the compliments on my March block!

joe'smo ~ You have some lovely blocks, too. Yes, this BOM is a learning experience for me, too. I'm not sure what all the blocks will look like together.

Recently I spearheaded the creation of a memorial quilt. I provided all the participants with a "focus" fabric and asked them to make a block using that fabric. I then combined all the blocks into a lap quilt to give to the family. The blocks were so diverse, I had no idea how I would get them to look like a cohesive, beautiful quilt. I thought the focus fabric would keep the color scheme harmonized, but I was wrong. At least the colors didn't harmonize in my eyes. I was finally able to pick a sashing fabric that really seemed to bring it all together.

For this A Quilting Life BOM, I picked a focus fabric and various other coordinating fabrics from my stash. I think I have the perfect sashing fabric picked out that will unify the blocks. I'm not used to doing sampler quilts or scrappy, so this seems to challenge me.

I can't wait till tomorrow for the new block! I was so impatient for the last one that I was disappointed it wasn't ready for download as soon as I got up in the morning. I'm on the West coast, so it seemed to me that it was very late. LOL
Old 03-31-2021, 03:26 AM

Yay joe’smom...I’m delighted to hear you’ve got your machine back and able to sew again. 🤗 Your blocks look great and how ambitious of you to do two.

DJ, part of the fun is not knowing how it’s going to turn out but it is a nice way to improve our piecing skills...at least mine anyway.
That’s terrific that you have found a sashing that coordinates with your blocks. I can’t wait to see how it will all come together.

Old 03-31-2021, 06:34 AM
DJ

Originally Posted by DJ View Post
I can't wait till tomorrow for the new block! I was so impatient for the last one that I was disappointed it wasn't ready for download as soon as I got up in the morning. I'm on the West coast, so it seemed to me that it was very late. LOL
Oh no! I truly am over-anxious. It's not due till TOMORROW. One more day to wait!
Old 04-01-2021, 05:51 AM
DJ

I think the one I was impatient for was the other BOM, actually.

This month's is Flying Dutchman which I love. Wish I could work on it today, but it's not in the cards. We're opening our lake place for the season over the weekend. I think I'll select fabrics (maybe get them cut, too) and take them along to make it there.
Old 04-04-2021, 08:01 PM

Caught up with month 3. First photo are the 6".

Attached Thumbnails img_6476_fotor2.jpg   img_6479_fotor2.jpg   img_6481_fotor2.jpg  
Old 04-18-2021, 05:50 AM
DJ

joe'smom ~ Nice work. I love your fabrics!

Here's my April block plus showing all 4 with my proposed sashing.
Attached Thumbnails 25591.jpeg   25576.jpeg  
Old 04-18-2021, 01:10 PM

Fabulous April block, DJ! They all look so good together, nice and crisp with the clean background. I think that sashing works well.
Old 04-20-2021, 03:18 AM

Joe’smom, I am envious of your ambition in doing several BOMs and such wonderful fabric choices for each.

DJ, I love your colors and I think your proposed sashing would be perfect. Your blocks are looking fabulous.

I used VQW to catchup on my two BOMs.
Attached Thumbnails b18297f1-a21b-427d-ae5c-00e1a70ad50c.jpeg  
Old 05-06-2021, 10:38 AM

jmoore, your April block looks wonderful!

I have not gotten to my April blocks, as I'm absorbed in planning my Harriet's Journey, but I do hope to get back to them. Here is the link for this month:

https://www.aquiltinglife.com/2021/0...may-2021.html/