Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Rest and Refreshing BOW Civil War Sampler Quilt

Beautiful blocks being shown. Anna, love the fabric selection you chose...so pretty.

Went to the quilt store today and bought some Moda fabric for the blocks I will be making. I may have to put the baby quilt I am working on now on hold so I can get my block made. Hopefully I will get to it tomorrow.

Jan

Annaquilts, Will you need four times the blocks to get to that size? I've always enjoyed a color scheme of purples/plums with greens. Your blocks are lovely together. I'd be tempted to just keep going. But sampler quilts are nice too. I like the challenge of making all different blocks.

That is a pretty block Sewbizgirl. I signed up, printed out the pattern and picked out my fabric for the first block but I have yet to get it cut and sewn. You'd think it would be easy to just get one block done----I can't seem to find enough time in the day. This BOW sure looks fun and I thought I could use up some of my CW fabric which is my goal. I even have a little folder with see thru protective pages so I could keep everything in one place!!

I do not think I need four of each but plan to make one to four of each. I so think I will change some things too. I do plan to make all same blocks or variants. It will be fun to do this together. I have not yet figured out how many blocks I need but if I decide to skip making a border, it will be a good number.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    That is a pretty block Sewbizgirl. I signed up, printed out the pattern and picked out my fabric for the first block but I have yet to get it cut and sewn. You'd think it would be easy to just get one block done----I can't seem to find enough time in the day. This BOW sure looks fun and I thought I could use up some of my CW fabric which is my goal. I even have a little folder with see thru protective pages so I could keep everything in one place!!
    Thanks, Jordan. Sometimes its cumbersome to get all the fabrics out and make just one block. Took me several days to get going, but now I can't wait for the next one to come out.

Just caught myself looking at CW fabric online but I need to STOP THAT and stick to using up some of what I already have.

If anyone is looking for fabric, our semi-local "Stitch N Frame" shop in Vicksburg MS has a huge selection of CW fabrics (of course!) and has them on sale right now. $7.90 a yard and you can buy as little as 1/4 yard. They also ship to Canada and international, if you are willing to pay for it. I don't know how long they will have them on sale...
    https://www.stitch-n-frame.net/produ...reproductions/ (no affiliation).
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 19 Album of Blocks I Made for Others https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19825.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Super Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    Great blocks each and every one of them!! Love seeing what fabrics everyone is using .
    ​Christine

SBG, A nice link! The shopping cart didn't work for me, I was trying to load it up with neutrals, probably just as well! I tried to put stuff in a wish list and couldn't figure that out either. Plus, the site worked so slowly that it was easy to give up and go back to ebay. lol I usually don't go for fabric that's more than $5/yd.

But with this quilt project, I like how she has more of a scrappy look for her background neutrals... If I resist buying, then I'll just use my neutrals that are not CW. I just sort of dislike making an effort with the CW look, only to mess it up with fabric that doesn't seem right to me. If you don't sew it the way you think it seems right, then you usually end up never really liking the result.
    Last edited by givio; 04-30-2017 at 08:36 AM.

OK sewbizgirl there is hope for me getting the first block done then My daughter and 3 granddaughters live with me and I sew on the dining room table so my time is also limited like when they are in school. I am determined to get this done. Thanks for the encouragement.

Blog Entries
    Finished Block #1 , #2 come out on Monday and I am ready. Had trouble finding "pink" civil war fabric per the pattern:

Block of the week

Finally got my first block done-
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jane Quilter, Your pinks look great! Today I got around to reading the 'particulars' file that I downloaded, then realized that the pattern calls for neutral, pink, red, light and dark blue, and light and dark brown. I have lots of gray, black, and green. lol I might not stick to the colors exactly.

Blog Entries
    looking at the pattern, i think this is the only pink in all the blocks.
    Last edited by Jane Quilter; 04-30-2017 at 02:10 PM.

Love that block, Jane. The pinks are awesome.

Givio, I also tried to buy some fabric from Stitch N Frame and their checkout is messed up. Hope they get it fixed next week, before the fabric goes off sale.

Jordan, I sew on my dining room table too... in fact I've taken over the WHOLE dining room for my quilting nook! We have a smaller table in the kitchen that hubby and I usually eat on.
    Boom 19 Album of Blocks I Made for Others https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19825.html

It seems to me that 3 of the blocks will have pink, but my monitor color might be wrong. The fabric list says, 1/4 yard total of pink, of 4 or 5 different prints. So we used 2 pink prints on the first block...

I posted a picture of my first quilt block for the BOW but I think I posted it in the wrong place. Sorry! I was so frustrated by the time I got a picture to post that I had a headache. I just don't understand these computers and had to have my daughter help me. Guess I started my own thread.

Blog Entries
    I stand corrected.....Thanks Givio! I'll keep digging for pink repros..........

Quote Originally Posted by givio View Post
    It seems to me that 3 of the blocks will have pink, but my monitor color might be wrong. The fabric list says, 1/4 yard total of pink, of 4 or 5 different prints. So we used 2 pink prints on the first block...

Jane Quilter, I'm pretty sure that digging at my house is not going to get any more pinks than I've already found. It's highly likely I'll use some greens. I like them. :-)

Jordan, I saw your block-- looking good! Sorry about your posting frustration. I certainly had all sorts of troubles until someone suggested to me to not to use the little tree icon (that indicates it inserts an image), and just use the blue 'go advanced' button. That solved picture posting problems for me. Did you try that?
    Here's Jordan's block from the other thread. I increased the size a little to see the print, and that's what made it blurry--

Love your colors

Very nice block. I enjoy the colors you chose.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Jordan, I just downloaded the second block today. I haven't made the first yet. Yours is really nice. Good job.
    Mary

Here is my photo of the second block - Woven time.

Blog Entries
    so beautiful, dottyd

Blog Entries
    Name:  20170429_130206.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  1.34 MB

Here are my two renditions of block # 1. I used civil war fabrics and then some left over Fresh Lilacs for the purple one. I don't do things right the first time, so I must make another one. She gives you the instructions and then the block is just one page and it refers to the instructions which you were to print out and put in a notebook. I find that my design wall helps a great deal. I'm having a great learning time with this.....after taking a break from En Provence which is not going well.

Marcia
    Last edited by Battle Axe; 05-02-2017 at 02:45 AM. Reason: spelling

Just beautiful, DottyD!

And both of yours are so lovely too, Battle Axe!

I love being able to share and see what everyone is putting together for their blocks. I hope to get to mine later today.

Blog Entries
    I love your Christmas fabric block.

Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast