Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Rest and Refreshing BOW Civil War Sampler Quilt >

Rest and Refreshing BOW Civil War Sampler Quilt

Rest and Refreshing BOW Civil War Sampler Quilt

Old 06-29-2017, 08:55 PM
Power Poster

That's another pretty one, too!

At the rate you make the blocks, you won't have any problem making up the 5 blocks, Jan. Give your poor cut finger time to heal.

Once I cut the tip of my pinky clean offwith my rotary cutter. My fingertip was lying there on the table, looking at me. I was able to get it to graft back on and heal nicely, but I think I put it on upside down, because now there is a funny lump there. (This sounds like a tale, but it's all really true!)
Old 06-30-2017, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post

At the rate you make the blocks, you won't have any problem making up the 5 blocks, Jan. Give your poor cut finger time to heal.

Once I cut the tip of my pinky clean offwith my rotary cutter. My fingertip was lying there on the table, looking at me. I was able to get it to graft back on and heal nicely, but I think I put it on upside down, because now there is a funny lump there. (This sounds like a tale, but it's all really true!)
Not a tale, I believe you Sewbizgirl. The exact thing happened to my daughter, i scooped her up and took it to the ER. They tried not to laugh, but would not sew it back on. She has 1 finger a little shorter than it should be. LOL
Old 06-30-2017, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Just Jan View Post
Thanks. I just finished my Arizona block for my other project. Then guess what... I cut my finger! Its sore and hurting so I will not be making any more blocks for a few days. I still need to make 5 blocks to get caught up in this R&R. Had figured to make them this weekend. Will see how fast my finger heals! Anyway, here is another of my 12" Civil War blocks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]575506[/ATTACH]
I like these new 12" CW blocks. Is this a BOM? Would you share where you are getting them from?
Old 06-30-2017, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

The pain was nearly unbearable. I had to sit on the floor to keep from passing out. The only other times I had that much pain was when I had a wisdom tooth cut off my jawbone, and when I broke a toe. But I stuck the tip back on and kept it tightly wrapped. I used xeroform gauze (gauze infused with vaseline and iodine) and it really helped the healing. In a few days the color came back to that piece, and so I knew the blood flow had reconnected. Now you would never know anything had happened, except for a slightly odd shape to my finger. Frankensteinish...
Old 06-30-2017, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post

How awful for you! My mom used to say, "Don't eat the cow, then choke on its tail!" That's me... Keep Going! Quitting sewing is not an option! I do need to rest it, but I have this quilting addiction. I have decided to see how much I can accomplish with sewing on UFOs and try to avoid the cutter for a day or two.

BARB IN LA I am just getting the patterns randomly from what I see on the internet or in my old magazines. I just figure them out from there. I'm working on three lap quilts that start with a panel and I'm piecing 8 blocks to add to each. I'm cutting enough for three blocks alike each time, but just sewing one block. I have the panel on my design wall and when I sew a block I add it to the wall to decide if I like it. Here is the devil block that made me cut my finger. Its block 5 of 8. I forget the name...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]575522[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails sam_0274.jpg  
Old 06-30-2017, 06:07 AM

Another UFO I'm sewing on today is a replica of a vintage quilt I bought at a flea market. The name of the blocks is The Radio Windmill from 1941. The vintage quilt on my bed is full/double. The picture of the blocks are my blocks that I am setting together today. It will be twin size for my daybed. I used bright white for the horizontal sashing but I think I will probably use beige instead of yellow for the vertical sashing (unless I decide on light country blue to match my room.) Using only fabrics from my stash so not sure if I have enough blue. If not, beige wins! Enjoy looking. (Oh, I almost forgot to say, I joined the VWQ someone mentioned.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]575523[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]575524[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]575525[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails vintage-quilt.jpg   finished-blocks.jpg   twin.jpg  
Old 06-30-2017, 06:08 AM

Thanks Jan for the response so quickly. I like the blocks you are choosing. Thanks for sharing your blocks and thoughts with the rest of us. Hope your finger heals quickly.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
Thanks Jan for the response so quickly. I like the blocks you are choosing. Thanks for sharing your blocks and thoughts with the rest of us. Hope your finger heals quickly.
Thanks. I had ordered more CW fabrics from two vendors and wouldn't ya know... both arrived today! I'm chomping at the bit to cut some blocks from them! But, that's out of the question for a couple days until my finger heals a little!
Old 06-30-2017, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

Thanks. I had ordered more CW fabrics from two vendors and wouldn't ya know... both arrived today! I'm chomping at the bit to cut some blocks from them! But, that's out of the question for a couple days until my finger heals a little!
Fun, fun, fun! Maybe you can pat your new eye candy with your good hand. These stories about cut fingers make my stomach churn. I hope everything will heal up fine and soon.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:21 PM
Power Poster

Here is the devil block that made me cut my finger. Its block 5 of 8. I forget the name...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]575522[/ATTACH]
That's 54-40 or Fight... One of my favorites!