Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Rest and Refreshing BOW Civil War Sampler Quilt >

Rest and Refreshing BOW Civil War Sampler Quilt

Rest and Refreshing BOW Civil War Sampler Quilt

Old 07-08-2017, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by lawsonmugs View Post
Very cool Jan. I knew you could catch up quickly. lol
Thanks! Ta Daaa Drum roll... Here it is... # 11 Stars in Flight. The fabric in the center star points is different from the other blue, but they look the same in this pix.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576087[/ATTACH]

Just knocked my iron off and broke it. Any suggestions or comments on a favorite iron to buy? The only things I know for sure are that I want an iron that doesn't leak and I heard the Oliso iron doesn't hold up well. Even had a supplier refuse to sell me one... They say the spring goes bad that causes it to pop back up. But that was several years ago so maybe they are improved by now. Janet
Attached Thumbnails r-r-11-stars-flight.jpg  

Last edited by Just Jan; 07-08-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

Ohhhh sooo pretty. Glad you got caught up. Now can we see a picture of all of them together????
Old 07-08-2017, 12:03 PM

JustJan, I recently bought the Panasonic cordless iron. I love it! The freedom of not dragging a cord is great. It is not a pop up iron, but it does have an auto-shut off after ten minutes. Since I've been known to leave my sewing area for hours, forgetting to turn off my old iron, I really like that feature. If I am sewing more than ten minutes, I simply press the button for heating again, and there's no problem there.

I like that it has the square base that I'm used to, for sitting it on my ironing board if I want, while opening up seams with both hands. I saw a double pointed cordless iron that had a good review, but it's not what I want.

Mine holds it's heat for as long as I would need it for anything I'd be ironing. When you put it on the base it quickly returns to the heat you set it for. Sliding it into the base is not difficult or annoying like I thought it might be before I bought it. I saw another iron that stood up straight on it's base, which I thought might be easier to return to its base for recharging, but, as I remember, it came only in 220 volts.

The cord rolls sweetly into the base, and pulls out freely for the length I need. The base is near to the size of the iron, so it's not bulky and fits exactly to the right of my machine on my cabinet. The cover clamps on and off the base easily, and keeps the dust off it, which I like as I leave my iron out all the time. Anyone going to a guild would love case with its compact portability.

I've always preferred a stainless sole over the Teflon kind, and like that it has that feature.

If you are keen on multiple heat settings-- it has only three. I had often used the hottest 'linen' setting on my old iron, which did cause me to scorch my cottons occasionally, but I loved the tight, crisp press it gave. This is the only drawback I find with my new iron. It's hottest is 'cotton.' I find it's really hot enough though. :-) The trade off in heat settings in order to have cordless is worth it to me.

I have not tried the steam because I always dry iron, so I don't know how effective it is. There are certainly lots of holes in the sole plate, and there is also an option for direct squirting. The way of filling the water reservoir is really cool. It's see through plastic, so you can see how much water is in it. It snaps off of the iron very well-- you simply remove it and take it to where you can pour in your water, which seems very clean and convenient.

It has a good weight, not too light or cheap feeling, and not too heavy or clunky feeling. It all seems very well engineered, and well built.
Attached Thumbnails panasonic-cordles-iron.jpg   panasonic-cordles-iron2.jpg  
Old 07-08-2017, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the info, Givio. I don't know why I mentioned about leaking, because I don't use steam since I started using Best Press! But... Oh my gosh... my sewing machine is not aqua to match! Just kidding, but I do like how yours looks together! Looks like a nice iron.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by lawsonmugs View Post
Ohhhh sooo pretty. Glad you got caught up. Now can we see a picture of all of them together????
Here's the best pix I can get right now. My design wall is full so I laid them out on my bed. They are in order by colors. I see 3 blocks each of primarily butterscotch, brown, red and 2 blues with the blue fabrics laid out for our next block. How's that for being caught up... even the next fabrics selected. I ordered some Civil War fabrics in greens. They should arrive next week and I'm so anxious to see them! Will be using them and probably more darker browns. Thanks for looking. Janet

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576100[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]576102[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails r-r-1-11-b-1-.jpg   r-r-1-11-b-2-.jpg  
Old 07-08-2017, 04:37 PM
Power Poster

Nice Jan, and now you have officially passed me up! I'm waiting on more browns (which didn't show up today as they were supposed to!) so I haven't done my block 11. Will have that fabric on Monday so I can do 11 and 12 together.

Givio, I really like the idea of a cordless iron! I hate wrangling that cord. I just buy the El Cheapo irons because I actually don't like the auto shutoff feature. I may sew along all day and it makes me mad to find a cool iron when I pick it up. Hope I don't burn down the house!
Old 07-08-2017, 05:55 PM

SBG, I'm looking forward to your browns. :-)

All, Thanks for all the pictures, everyone! We've had a lot of them this week. So fun to see what everyone is up to. :-)
Old 07-08-2017, 09:24 PM

[QUOTE=sewbizgirl;7860217]Nice Jan, and now you have officially passed me up! I'm waiting on more browns (which didn't show up today as they were supposed to!) so I haven't done my block 11. Will have that fabric on Monday so I can do 11 and 12 together.]

Well I guess the race is on then. If you do two blocks on Monday you will pass me up! I have Chemo and will get home late, so probably will not sew until at least Tuesday. I thought about you when I checked my mail today. Wondered if your browns came. I'm waiting for my greens to come. Don't need them yet, but want to fondle the fabric!
Old 07-09-2017, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

Very pretty Just jan. I love seeing the quilts come together now that we have many blocks made. Thanks for taking the pictures and posting them. Hope everyone enjoys their Sunday.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Just Jan View Post

Well I guess the race is on then. If you do two blocks on Monday you will pass me up! I have Chemo and will get home late, so probably will not sew until at least Tuesday. I thought about you when I checked my mail today. Wondered if your browns came. I'm waiting for my greens to come. Don't need them yet, but want to fondle the fabric!
I may not sew til Tuesday, either. I hope the chemo goes well and that you tolerate it well too. Prayers for that situation, Janet.