Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Rest and Refreshing BOW Civil War Sampler Quilt >

Rest and Refreshing BOW Civil War Sampler Quilt

Rest and Refreshing BOW Civil War Sampler Quilt

Old 07-31-2017, 08:16 PM

All these blocks are gorgeous. Just Jan seems to be out in front. Great to have a leader!
Old 07-31-2017, 08:18 PM

Everyone else seems to be catching up. They look great.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:44 PM
Power Poster

Barb, Connie and Mary... awesome blocks! Even tho we have already done some of those earlier ones, it's still fun to see them again, done your way. Don't worry about catching up, just enjoy the process and go at your own pace.

I'm having fun making the Pony Club blocks, over in the Pony Club thread. Right Jan, they are 8", whereas the 30's and the Bible blocks are only 6". I did the 30's book with the Farmer's Wife group, and have all the beautiful blocks. I just haven't joined them yet.

For the Pony Club quilt, I read a bunch of the letters the kids wrote about their ponies, back in 1915, and looked at the pictures of the blocks in the book. It helped me get a clearer idea of what kinds of fabrics to put together. Once I had enough to start working with, I started making the blocks. I probably have about a dozen or so done.

If anyone is interested, get the book and jump on in with me! If you'd rather wait til the R&R quilt is finished, I'll still be making blocks and showing them over there.
The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued

The ladies who are still chatting in that group have made the first Farmer's Wife quilt, the Pony Club quilt, and then the 1930's quilt, all together!
Old 07-31-2017, 10:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Boston Mom View Post
This block is very pretty, I can't seem to get blocks down very good ... so I stay clear! I am still new to quilting but I sure love doing it. I do a lot of panels as my focal point. Boston Mom
Boston Mom, the way to get better at piecing blocks is to practice. Doing these blocks is a great way to learn many piecing techniques. You'll be surprised at yourself after you've made a few.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
Here's block #2 Woven Time. This has been hard for me because I had no civil war fabrics and there aren't many available where I shop...Wal Mart and Hobby Lobby mostly. So I am making do.
Barb, there are many great mail order places to order them from. Right now, Piecing the Past is having this sale on fabrics:

http://store.piecingthepastquilts.co...4&parent_ids=0
Old 07-31-2017, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
I really wish I had made more effort to get started when everyone else did. I don't like this trying to catch up. And I haven't even thought about all those border blocks. "boo hiss" Here's Block #3 Wedding Ring.
I was a late starter, too. I think there were quite a few of us. I'm not making the border blocks. I just want these pretty blocks for the fun of making them and they will probably end up in two or three couch quilts. You could use less blocks and use solid blocks in between, set them on point, and still end up with a lovely quilt! Sounds like you are stressing out over this. Stop beating yourself up and just have fun! Your block is very pretty and you did a great job making it. Janet
Old 08-01-2017, 04:35 AM

Thanks for the tip on fabric sales and the encouragement. History....I am a total procrastinator. I put the stress on myself because I just don't get things done when I should. I know I either need to do something or want to do something and I still put everything first and then decide "DO IT NOW". That's where my stress comes from. I'll calm down after I get more blocks made. I love the wonderful people on this board. "Hugs"
Old 08-01-2017, 04:52 AM

Barb in Louisiana: I forgot about the border blocks. Once the blocks are all made, I will decide if I will make them or do something like Just Jan. Maybe I will just do plain borders. Time will tell.

The designer, Debbie MacInnis, is planning a fall quilt block along. Sign ups will start on September 1st and the blocks will start later in September. I found this information along with a picture on her Facebook group page. I have been downloading her summer block along also but I haven't started it yet.

Connie

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 08-01-2017 at 05:07 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:29 AM

And HUGS to you Barb in Louisiana for helping me with EQ7. I think I am closer to figuring out what I want to do. This board is just the greatest!!
Old 08-01-2017, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

Really nice blocks everyone. I'm also doing the summer picnic bow . These have been the most fun quilts to make. The groups on here have been helpful and fun. Isn't that what it is all about. Enjoy and relax. Hugs to all of you.