Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Rest and Refreshing BOW Civil War Sampler Quilt >

Rest and Refreshing BOW Civil War Sampler Quilt

Rest and Refreshing BOW Civil War Sampler Quilt

Old 09-13-2017, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Thanks for the idea. I see you are in Florida, are you OK?? We just had a big misty rain here in Northern Indiana and according to the radar it was an outer band from Irma.
Yes, just lost a bit of fencing in my back yard. Got power back on last evening. We were lucky here, for as bad as it hit Miami and others. I'm 25 miles north of Orlando and 25 miles west of Daytona, in Lake Helen; which is very close to DeLand, if you look on the map. DeLand has Stetson U and several other notable places. Lake Helen is a lovely little old town with lots of historic homes and about as close and you can get to Mayberry RFD! We have a grade school, a post office, a bar, many churches, a fire station, a police station, a Handy Way, a little ice cream shop, a pizza shop and a little lake for fishing and picnicking. (We even had a cop here at one time that we nicknamed Barney.) All my neighbors pitched in and helped me out both before and after the storm. Two got groceries for me, two others cleared my outdoor furniture before the storm and cleared debris after, and one brought me supper they cooked on their BBQ grill while the power was out! You can't beat neighbors like that!

Last edited by Just Jan; 09-13-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

That's so true. People can be so sweet and helpful. It's really just a few bad ones but they get remembered the most and shown on T.V. . I live about 5 miles from town and our town is way smaller than yours. 1 post office 1 convience store and 1 hair dresser,several churches. That's it. Town is about 1/2 a block long. lol And I live way out in the country from there. lol. Love it too.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:16 PM

Sewww glad you are back to some form of normal. Hope all the rest get there soon.

Marcia
Old 09-13-2017, 06:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Just Jan View Post
Marcia, How about making a scrappy Spider Web quilt with your scraps? (No pun intended.) Just use solid for the background and you can add more leftover scraps from something else if you want it larger. Would be gorgeous for a lap quilt and they are such fun to make. They are especially easy peasy with Wacky Web Triangle Papers from Missouri Star Quilt Co. Spiderweb's one of my favs when I want to de-stress and use up scraps. Even tiny scraps work at the corners. MSQC has tutorialds on both Spider Web and Periwinkle quilts. But I have to warn you, I find the Spiderweb addictive! I have 18 blocks made and want to make 2 more blocks (8 sections more) for a lap quilt 48 x 60 plus borders (or maybe just binding.) I ordered the mini templates and papers, too, but they have not arrived yet. I will probably use them for a Periwinkle quilt, using leftover Civil War fabrics from this BOW. Here are 6 of my Spiderweb blocks laid out on the back of another lap quilt. The green is just that quilt back showing around them and has nothing to do with these blocks.) Anyway this is an idea for using your beautiful green and purple scraps.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]580452[/ATTACH]
Love your scrappy spider. I have been meaning to make one for years but never got to it. Maybe one day. In the mean time I'll enjoy looking at yours and others.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
It's done. I had to make some adjustments because of my 4 x 4's being too big. I added a purple inner border and then had to put in 4 spacers, but I did get the 4 x 4's turned correctly. Now to start on the civil war fabric one.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]580334[/ATTACH]
Sew pretty Battleax! Very elegant and feminine. You did an amazing job. Any ideas how you plan to quilt it?
Old 09-15-2017, 02:46 AM

Right now I'm into pantographs. I have a complicated leaf one I have not tried. Maybe that.

Marcia
Old 09-16-2017, 06:57 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]580688[/ATTACH]This is the latest rendition. I had a charm pack of Kansas trouble which matched the fabrics much better than what I had picked out before. Would you point them toward the quilt or away from it??

Marcia
Attached Thumbnails 20170916_205657_001_resized.jpg  
Old 09-16-2017, 07:03 PM
Power Poster

Oh, you are really getting it done with those tops! Love this one. I think I'd put the border triangles just the way you have them... but I haven't seen them the other way, LOL.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:15 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]580689[/ATTACH]I wasn't wearing my glasses and did not want to post the same one twice. But now am wearing glasses and this is the one with the points toward the quilt. Once I decide which way to put this, I will be very close to finishing....and I am almost out of that background material. Somehow I managed to use up 5 yards.

Marcia
Attached Thumbnails 20170916_205744_resized.jpg  
Old 09-17-2017, 05:50 AM

Very nice! If you're taking votes, I vote for the triangles pointing out. More soothing to the eye! Jan