Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 01-05-2018, 06:42 AM

SewBizGirl - Wow is right! Beautiful quilt top - love the striking color And thank you for your feedback regarding up-sizing. Yes, I'm a newbie having just bought my Juki 2200 (mini) in July and only have a few smaller quilts under my belt. If I appear to have any skills its truly because I read and try to follow all the great advice shared here. I've re-measured and, at minimum, I'd like to up-size to 90" x 90" knowing it will be a monster. Will ponder for a bit before moving forward. Thank you, again, for your thoughts I always appreciate your feedback!
Christine
Old 01-05-2018, 06:42 AM

I've been working on my second alternate - it's half the blocks with Kassaundra's idea of swapping darks/lights. I'm keeping Bonnie's setting for it, but will do something a bit different for the setting trianlges.

I have the blocks sewn and have been attaching sashing. I prefer to attach it to the blocks and sew the blocks together, but that takes a bit of planning since it's not the same for every block.

I still have not decided what to do with my main set, but those blocks are all assembled so any changes would just be to the sashing. At least by waiting on that set, I'm getting a chance to see a lot more ideas.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:47 AM

Krisb , that's a whole new look! I love your rich colors.

Kristi, a beautiful block! Your tangerines look wonderful.

Bravo, sewbizgirl, that is beautiful. I can't wait to see what you do with borders.

I finished my original clue 3s yesterday, but didn't sew end to end as I'm not sure now how they will be used. I mastered the quick method for the parallelograms, so the neutral batch should not take nearly as long to make.

NZquilter, thanks for the great idea about using clue 7 as leader/ender!!
Old 01-05-2018, 06:49 AM

For the setting triangles using a shaded 4 patch, draw it out with the two overlapping triangles that result, and those are your pieces - two apposing rectangles with one end cut at a diagonal, and a smaller triangle in between. This should work very well for scrappy as it will give three aqua pieces instead of two for that spot.

To sew, you sew one rectangle to the square, and one to the triangle, then you have one straight seam that joins these to together (and I'd spin that center point too).

Did anyone else notice that spinning the seams on the original 9 patch had no affect on other piecing? So all that huff early on about it was irrelevant to the final outcome.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:59 AM

Christine - I think your blocks look wonderful. I love the fabric you subbed for Bonnie's brown.
Joe's Mom - I am intrigued by your alternating sashing idea.
Krisb - your alternate sashing looks great.
kristijoy - I agree with your DH - Wow!
Sewbizgirl - the straight set looks great and makes a totally different secondary pattern.
Kassaundra - looking forward to seeing your progress.
Macybaby - yes I noticed the spun 9-patch seams turned out to be a great idea and not the disaster some feared.
Sorry if I left anyone out - everyone's quilts are looking so good.

After playing around with pieces I've decided to go with Bonnie's original layout and fight Lump-zilla where the Geese meet the Corners. In the back of my head I am toying with the idea of making another quilt in an alternate colorway & if I do I've made notes on the directions to press the "brown" geese towards the geese units.

Nothing really sewn together yet but I got the pieces on my design wall and I think I found a setting triangle solution I like. I don't know why my first thought was to use hourglass blocks since they are no where else in the quilt but the LEFT setting triangle uses hourglasses and the RIGHT setting triangle uses geese units.

On the one hand, with spun hourglass seams they nest perfectly with the Shaded 4-patch (Cat's Cradle) blocks and, for me anyway, are easier than making Geese units.

On the other hand, I think the Geese do a better job finishing the design and I guess since I would have to make them especially for the setting units I could press the brown geese so they nest better.

I am undecided. Opinions? I have a lot of units to sew before I have to decide -- but only enough parts for a square quilt - about 61" square. Generally not a fan of square quilts but 61" is a pretty good size -- any thoughts on that? I am reluctant to make parts for another 7 blocks to get a rectangle, especially since I plan to make parts for the setting triangles.... ugh... enough whining... er... um...not whining... just contemplating/babbling out loud... back to sewing!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586621[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails post2.jpg  
Old 01-05-2018, 08:41 AM

Double slow snail here. I started late. I have my flying geese sewn, nine patches, and working on the corner blocks now. If hubby lets me, will get them done tonight so I can get them assembled this weekend. Loving all of your settings so I can get an idea of what I want to do. I have not made the sashing pieces, not sure I like them. Once I get block made, we shall see. I am a visual for sure.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:01 AM

AmyBible - I really like your idea of adding either hourglass or add'l geese to reduce the aqua setting triangle. I keep looking back and forth and think both are great options - geese seem to continue the pattern and may blend better when framing the entire quilt? But then the hourglass just adds pizzazz. Both look great. Let us know what you decide!

Christine
Old 01-05-2018, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
For the setting triangles using a shaded 4 patch, draw it out with the two overlapping triangles that result, and those are your pieces - two apposing rectangles with one end cut at a diagonal, and a smaller triangle in between. This should work very well for scrappy as it will give three aqua pieces instead of two for that spot.

To sew, you sew one rectangle to the square, and one to the triangle, then you have one straight seam that joins these to together (and I'd spin that center point too).

Did anyone else notice that spinning the seams on the original 9 patch had no affect on other piecing? So all that huff early on about it was irrelevant to the final outcome.
Thanks for this tip! I like the idea of carrying on the pattern into the setting triangles. It makes it look more finished and less like everything is floating.

My husband said the quilt looks more like the "Island on Ringo Lake" because of the lack of blue!

Yes, I noticed that about the nine patch seams too!
Old 01-05-2018, 11:46 AM

Both the flying geese and the hour glass units look good, but I prefer the flying geese.

I had not noticed the 9 patch seams not mattering, b/c I didn't put mine together the "right" way, but I do remember all the hoopla about it, the QP got after me on the FB page b/c I posted a picture of my seams spun.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
Turtle report: Still chugging along, have 19 blocks done. They look nice when assembled, pressed and trimmed! I'm sticking with the original design. Glad to have a thread to keep me motivated. You gals are the best!
You are doing great! I don’t think you can call yourself a turtle anymore...