Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 02-10-2018, 07:45 AM

waltonalice, They used to say, 'imitation is the best form of flattery' or something like that. Now, they say, 'copying is against the law' or something like that. Which is the kinder sentiment? People seem to have become more stingy. If they share, they attach lots of rules to what they share. Anyway, who is going to go into your house and look in your bedroom to see what you have sewn for yourself? lol It's the Quilt Shows that you have to careful about so that everything you show is legal.

Why do people use Pinterest? A lot of the time they do to save ideas, and make the ideas their own. Well, it's sweet to ask permission before taking an idea you have seen pictured-- but, frankly, these quilting units have been around for hundreds of years, and what someone thinks is original might have been done before.

Last edited by givio; 02-10-2018 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:26 AM

The only "public" thing I'd do is to show it at our local County Fair (mostly because there aren't as many handcrafts being shown there as there were 30 years ago; the first prize is, I think, $5), where the regulations are very clear: we must give complete credit for the pattern we've used (in this case Bonnie's pattern and I'd add the names of those whose borders I tried) and for anyone who may have quilted our creations. Other than that, it will be a wedding gift. Thank those who responded to the questions. I think that it's neat to note that all of you who answered so quickly have very creative and lovely adaptations of the original!
Old 02-10-2018, 10:54 AM

Well said Sewbiz. I look at it this way; if someone doesn't want something copied or repeated in someone else's project then they should not post a picture in the public domain. BTW, there is nothing new under the sun. That is what bugs me about the Modern quilt movement, no they did not come up with the concept.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:09 PM

I agree that we post here to share ideas and encourage each other, so I would not hesitate to use an idea that has been shared here.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:29 PM

CharmedMissouri... love how your quilt top finished up. I will probably add another border to mine as well to get the size I need. And, like you, all of Bonnie’s mysteries are a learning experience...techniques I won’t forget.

Everyone has done a fabulous job.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:07 PM

I post pictures of what I do specifically to help give others ideas. And if someone likes and wants to copy - Go For It!

I get so many ideas from what others do and show too - that is why this board is where I spend so much time.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:09 PM

I 'm still working slowly on my ORL quilt top nearly done, life has had many turns lately.
I'm so envious of all the lovely finished quilts shown. I think we all need a good pat on the back for the wonderful work we have put forth.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:50 AM

I am so impressed at the finished and nearly finished tops That have been posted recently! I’m still in turtle mode- now hav 40 blocks completed, but had to put it on hold in order to meet some deadlines...may get some more work done on it next month if things slow down around here.... I agree with what others have said about sharing ideas- that’s what I love about this board.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 02-12-2018 at 05:52 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:10 AM

Auntjo: Love it!
Kalama: You did amazing
CharmedinMO: Beautiful!
Rob: You will get there.

Waltonalice: Since it is for personal use only (wedding gift) you can do what you like with whatever is out there. If you claim the idea as your own or resale with your name only, then that is a copyright infringement. Give credit where due and you are good to go. This applies to quilt shows as well. There are lots of kits being entered in the larger quilt shows that have to be stated where they originated from. If you put just your name on it as an original design, it will be disqualified and that is a copyright infringement. Just my two cents to the subject.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:21 AM

Hello all ... slow poke checking in.

Everyone's finishes look fantastic!!

I finished my re-design in EQ. Swapped the shaded 4 patch units for an aqua/brown/brown/neutral 4 patch. I'm in the process of making these now.

I did go ahead and put three blocks together with my 4 patch units to see how they look and I like the look. Still not sure what color I will use for the cornerstone in the chevron sashing.

Have not even thought about borders yet, but I doubt I will use the aqua borders. Thinking neutral strings ..... and then finishing it with another border around it to bring it to generous Queen.