Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 11-26-2017, 03:38 AM

Regarding the obtaining of paint chips for the BH mysteries from Lowe's, I get one of each paint chip from Lowe's for Bonnie's mysteries, this is my third mystery, and I've even had help from the the gentlemen in that department in finding the colors (when they are not busy, of course). I have explained to them what I am using the chips for, they are so nice and I had quite a nice conversation with one of them who knew about the BH quilts from others who had come in for the chips. I think Lowe's would look at this as good advertising, and as for me, my trips to Lowe's always end up with buying something I need at the time. Someone had mentioned last year (and it may have been on some other Board) that their Lowe's charges for the chips, so I made sure I also asked the Paint Dept. about this, and he said that they never charge for the chips, they are free. This year, while there to get the chips, the same gentleman I talked to about the chips also sold me a piece of plexiglass, cut to size, which I will use for making a sandpaper board which holds fabric stable while you are tracing applique templates. He thought this was a novel idea, thanks to a Quilting Article I read on this Board. My sandpaper board will cost me only a few dollars rather than the $18.95 I had seen them selling for online. So I think, all in all, I they are happy to have us come into their stores as most usually, people will return to buy other merchandise when needed, just my humble opinion.

Last edited by ShirlR; 11-26-2017 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Explanation for post
Old 11-26-2017, 03:58 AM

Report from Battle Axe's trip to the quilt auction.

There are two quilt auctions and one quilt sale in my immediate area. The sale is now held in conjunction with the Shipshewana quilt show and seminars...And get this: Jinny Beyer will be there this year in June. This sale is held at the Honeyville Church about 8 miles from Shipshewana.

One of the quilt auctions is going great guns usually 300 items listed, but the other one (yesterday) had 99 items and just a handful did not sell. Most of the quilts were large 105 + x 110 +. They were well done, but nothing that would bring big money. I really feel sorry for the makers as I know they lost money.

The good ones (not tops but finished quilts) brought $225-$375. Highest one was $410.

He announced that there may not be an auction in March, where there usually was a March and a November. If they don't get enough quilts for March, they will hold them over for November. There were 27 bidding numbers given out. Two older men, looked like store owners, bought the majority.

I bought a marked whole cloth top for $25.00, Rose Bud pattern.

I come away from these events depressed. I work hard on my quilts, but I am so sorry that they are not worth more than what they will bring at auction.

The other auction in the area has a much bigger following and I have seen quilts sell for $1500.00 at that one, but that is the high and not the average. The average there is probably $400-$450.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:04 AM

I have finished up my blocks and did spin all the seams. That is actually kind of fun to do. I have never made a scrappy, so it is an interesting look, I tried to keep a lot of variety in the blocks but I am sure some of them ended up with the same fabrics. Do you all try to keep it as mixed up as you can?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584343[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20171126_083730-800x600.jpg  
Old 11-26-2017, 07:12 AM

tscweaves...sure is pretty. I see so many different fabrics....but the very same shade of aqua. How did you do that? or is that just your camera? either way, you've done a great job....I love it
Old 11-26-2017, 08:00 AM

These blocks are so cute! I am loving all the posts.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]584347[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2.2.jpg  
Old 11-26-2017, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
Report from Battle Axe's trip to the quilt auction.

There are two quilt auctions and one quilt sale in my immediate area. The sale is now held in conjunction with the Shipshewana quilt show and seminars...s
The good ones (not tops but finished quilts) brought $225-$375. Highest one was $410.

I come away from these events depressed. I work hard on my quilts, but I am so sorry that they are not worth more than what they will bring at auction.
Battle, in the late 80's early 90's when we had an elephant-sized satellite dish there was one channel that sold nothing but quilts. vintage and antique. Anyone else remember that?

I thought I was cutting acres of strips and when I ran out of strips I had only 18 nine patches made! New day, lots more strips cut
Old 11-26-2017, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

Battle Axe, thanks for that report on the auction. It is depressing to see all that work go for so cheap. And if the two older men were indeed shop owners, you know they will be reselling for so much more. That's why I love to give my quilts to charity. Then, the value of them is limitless. They provide love and moral support to the people who get them, and you can't put a price on that!

Love the pretty little blocks you ladies are showing. Hope to get to mine today, now that the last house guests have left. Theresa, re: your question about mixing up the scrappies: Yes, you do your best to keep it mixed up, but in the end when you see the final layout of blocks, you will have a chance to arrange and rearrange the blocks for a pleasing layout of scrappy wonder.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:11 AM

Here's my step 1 along with my color choices. Bonnie used a neutral, two medium hues and one dark hue which is her contrasting color. I'm working totally from stash and don't have that combination. My final decision is to use a neutral, two dark hues and a medium hue for contrast. We'll see how that plays out.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 11-26-2017, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

Great colors, QRF!
Old 11-26-2017, 09:03 AM

Marcia, thanks so much for sharing about the auctions! I don't get out much and have never been to a quilt show or auction, so it is always enjoyable to read about them.

Theresa, your 9-patches are lovely. That really is a beautiful shade of aqua.

Looking great, Pagzz!

I love your fabrics, quiltsRfun. It will be so interesting to see how that plays out. You adventuresome quilters give us a lot of excitement during the mystery, LOL!