Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 12-03-2017, 02:51 PM

Last year Bonnie gave us the last clue AND the reveal at the same time. We had tons of work dumped on on us, but I was glad because I tweaked the last clue by replacing it with another unit, finishing the quilt differently than Bonnie's. So it worked out for me.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:56 PM

So glad your wound is healing nicely, Sewbiz! I've never tried to put the sliver of skin back on to heal. Kitchen knives get me all the time, but so far no rotary cutters-- fingers cross! (I'll speak too soon and it'll happen today!)
Old 12-03-2017, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
Last year Bonnie gave us the last clue AND the reveal at the same time. We had tons of work dumped on on us, but I was glad because I tweaked the last clue by replacing it with another unit, finishing the quilt differently than Bonnie's. So it worked out for me.
Mysteries generally work like this--big work at the reveal.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:13 PM

I finished making the rest of the FG after getting home from church and lunch today. But as I was cleaning up the piles of fabric that were kinda thrown together as I cut strips off them, I discovered a couple more of the melon fabric that I had pulled to use and then missed them. I think I will make some more up using this found fabric and do away with some of the lighter ones that I have made. I have too many light ones anyway.

Sewbizgirl, glad your finger is healing nicely. Don't know how many more times the skin will reattach itself to the same finger though! LOL

Love seeing all the blocks. I'll try to get a picture of mine tomorrow.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:42 PM

I was able to get all of my clue 1 & 2 units done over the weekend - retreats are great for that!
Regarding the requests to refrain from sharing quantities and sizes - those are the backbones of the pattern Bonnie plans to sell - and misinformation is rampant online.
Going to the source is the best way to get the actual instructions.

So many of the people on the FB group do not know who Bonnie is or where to find her blog, they just found a great group of quilters, so lots of confusion and well-meaning folks trying to direct the newbies while following the rules as well as the folks who just want to share what they (think they) know to be helpful. I feel sorry for her moderators during MQ time - it is a circus over there! LOL
Old 12-03-2017, 07:01 PM
Power Poster

Kalama love the shirting quilt you are working on!
Sewbizgirl glad to see your finger healing so beautifully!
Love seeing the progress of clue 1 and 2.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:02 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584776[/ATTACH]
Someday I will learn to count. I made 8 extra of clue 1 and 45 extra of clue 2. I don't use my die cutter for most quilts, but it is soooo helpful when cutting a lot of the same pieces. It took me about an hour to cut out all of my geese, and that included ironing and folding 22 fabrics.
Attached Thumbnails img_2856.jpg  
Old 12-03-2017, 07:18 PM

Popping in tonight to catch up! I love your quilt Kalama. I love leaders and enders! I found though that I really prefer leader and enders that are simple squares or rectangles. Then I can pop it into the machine without too much fuss. Right now I'm working on a simple 4 patch block made with 2 1/2 inch strips.

Here's my start on the geese. I used Kimberly Einmo's ruler which worked like a charm. It cuts geese and triangles from strips (no waste). I knew I was going to need to do a bunch to really have it down. I'm pleased that these are coming out rather nicely with only a sliver trim needed! The colors are pretty yummy too!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584777[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20171203_160659-small.jpg  
Old 12-03-2017, 07:20 PM

Love your colors Sewbiz
Old 12-03-2017, 07:29 PM

Done with my 100 flying geese. My original intention color-wise was gray,aqua and yellow. Turned out that I did not have a good range of tones in my yellow fabric so I went with pink instead. For someone that does not like pink, I have a lot of pink fabric

I also really like polka dots - can you tell?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584778[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails clue2.jpg  

Last edited by lmanna; 12-03-2017 at 07:32 PM.