Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrappy Irish Chain Sew-Along

Quote Originally Posted by SewSweetBee View Post
    Hi! I'm very new here and a new quilter. Is there a diagram somewhere that I've missed? Thanks!
    Here is a written tutorial on how to make it with 2.5" charm squares. https://www.patchworkposse.com/doubl...n-quilt-block/ . Most patterns I found with a quick Google search seem to use 2.5" strips instead of individual charm squares.

This link shows a pretty clear diagram of the two alternating blocks, just not scrappy. https://www.generations-quilt-patter...t-pattern.html .

The Double Irish Chain is such a lovely quilt! I would love to join in, but have far too much on my plate right now. I'm watching from the fence though!
    Last edited by NZquilter; 05-15-2019 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Added Another Link
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

This pattern is really neat! Just in the "Settings" at the top of the page put in your block size wanted (in this case 10") and how many blocks you want going across and down and it automatically calculates how many squares you need to cut and how wide! http://www.myquiltgenie.com/index.ph...sh_chain_quilt . I'm bookmarking this for future use!
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

SewSweetBee -

Welcome to our Sew-Along! Are you looking for step-by-step instructions? Maybe this might help.

For the scrappy block, using 2 1/2" squares, sew 2 strip sets of 5 scrappy squares each.

Next, referencing the diagram, sew 2 strip sets as follows:

(ss = scrappy square) (bg = background)

ss/ss/bg/ss/ss

Finally, sew 1 strip set as follows:

bg/ss/ss/ss/bg

Each of these strip sets should be 2 1/2" x 10 1/2". Sew strip sets according to the diagram.

For our background block, sew 1 SS to each end of the 2 1/2" x 6 1/2" background strip. Sew 2 of these per block. Next, sew one strip on each long side of the background fabric rectangle (6 1/2" x 10 1/2"). Reference the diagram.

Hope that helps!
    Jane

NZQuilter -

Thanks for the links however they both use different techniques. I chose to 'streamline' the process with the background blocks.
    Jane

Love that this ‘sew along’ lends itself to the individual’s choice of colors, design and block construction with no timeline or pressure! My kind of friendly challenge as I have a full plate of quilts to make on a deadline.

This will be my no-rush-have-some-fun-on-the-side project and it will put a little dent in my fabric pile! I’ve been looking through Pinterest and like the scrappy double Irish chain with scrappy star blocks in the center of each background block. Have plenty of scraps but need to decide on the background fabric.

Thank you Jane for calling this sew-along together! I surely won’t be the first to the finish line but hope to make a few blocks here and there!

Christine

Count me in! I’ve got an Accuquilt Go and I’m not afraid to use it! Lol 2 1/2” squares coming up.

NZQuilter, thanks for posting those links! The articles at Generations gave me lots of ideas.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I don't have time right now to sew along but I will be following and anxious to sew the finished quilts. I love the Irish Chain quilt pattern and I have been in some 2 1/2" square swaps so I have quite a collection. This is the perfect quilt for using them.

I went through my scraps last night and cut a bunch of 2 1/2" squares. I have a ton more scraps to go through. I have not decided on my background color yet.

I'm not participating because I just sent away all my 2.5" squares and strips, but I sent that person a link to this project.

I love sew alongs and I'll be lurking in the background. I want to see pictures!

I dont have enough scraps....would you guys be okay if l used a couple of strip packs???

Use whatever you have. This is for you. we aren't swapping blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by edensgaite View Post
    I dont have enough scraps....would you guys be okay if l used a couple of strip packs???
    So glad to have you in our Sew Along! Please feel free to use whatever fabric(s) you like! This is your project. Use whatever you like.
    Jane

I kind of like the look of the bright scrappy colors with a black background. I am thinking about doing mine that way.

I just cleared off all the stuff on my dining room table, aka my work table, and took all my sewing stuff to stash in other rooms. We are having company come in tomorrow, and then I'm giving my daughter a "Meet the Baby" party on Saturday. On the one hand, it's nice to have the clutter cleared away, and on the other hand, it's kind of disconcerting that I can't sew right now, no matter what. I hope I can find everything and put it all back in it's working place once the weekend fun is over.
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html

Sewbiz - Enjoy your fun-filled weekend - sewing will be there when you're done

I saw a few stunners on Pinterest with black (and navy blue) background - the bright colors just pop! Sure would be beautiful but I'd like a light and bright all-season quilt this time around.. so I'll probably stick with white or maybe a low volume neutral/white print.. I'm trying to only use what I have which means I'll end up using white (have a bolt of Kona Snow White). I'm pondering using a constant for the center chain block vs all scrappy - played around in EQ8 and came up with this.. color isn't truly scrappy/random as I just duplicated the block but it gives an idea of a constant center color.. what do you think? Decided against a star center on the background blocks so I can practice some fun quilting motifs

Name:  Scrappy DIC with blue.JPG
Views: 265
Size:  91.4 KB

Yes, it's a biggie - I'm making it for our king and would like to bust through my scraps

Finishing up a few quilts and will play with some scrappies soon! Looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up!
    Last edited by TheMerkleFamily; 05-17-2019 at 05:34 AM.
    Christine
    In my dream world.... fabric is free and quilting makes you thin!

I like it with the center chain constant, Christine!

Center squares the same color look great. Ive been kicking around getting an eq8....is it user friendly?

Thanks, I think I've decided to go with the same color center square!

As for whether EQ8 is user friendly - I purchased the EQ8 workbook and simply dedicated the time to go through each chapter and I'm navigating through the program pretty well. It also takes practice so I've designed tons of blocks and then a custom quilt and each time I'm much more confident. It took me about 10 minutes to make the Irish Chain layout but that isn't a very intricate design. If you wish to design blocks and/or quilts yourself it's an absolute must IMHO.

There's a great thread on this forum dedicated to EQ7/8 with tons of great dialogue, tips, etc... Good luck!

https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f...e-t295451.html

Quote Originally Posted by edensgaite View Post
    Center squares the same color look great. Ive been kicking around getting an eq8....is it user friendly?
    Christine
    In my dream world.... fabric is free and quilting makes you thin!

Here are my first 2 blocks:

Name:  Irish chain blocks.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  177.3 KB
    Jane

My BFF's daughter is due in September and this will be for their new baby. They have requested 'gender neutral' and are going with green & yellow.
    Jane

I think I'll join you. Will use 30's reproductions.

Yippee!! We'll be diving into our 30's together. I have too many containers with 30's fabric. Need to use some of these lovelies!
    Jane

Jclinganrey -- Love the fabric!!!!!! I can't wait to see more!

That's beautiful, jclinganrey. And definitely nice for a boy or a girl. The 30's prints are so sweet.

I finished my Hugs and Kisses, so I can have this on one machine while I FMQ on another. Well, as soon as I figure out the bobbin problem on machine #1. This quilt will be for me - my first.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast