Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrappy Irish Chain Sew-Along

Yes, very pretty, jclinganrey. I think that will make a precious baby quilt and I see you're also carrying a constant green in the center chain. This will be fun to see blocks as they are posted and the unique color choices everyone makes. Great start!
    Christine
    In my dream world.... fabric is free and quilting makes you thin!

This would make a great leader/ender project for those who do them.

SewSweetBee - Look @ this post from Bonnie Hunter's website. Scroll down to the 3rd quilt, a scrappy double Irish chain. https://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005...-and-hows.html

She did hers as a leader/ender w/ 2" blocks. If you are using 2.5" blocks, disregard the measurements she gives and use the ones Jane gave in post #20 above. (Alternatively, if you have 2" blocks, you could follow Bonnie's.)

The reason I'm giving the link is that she explains that she is using 4 4-patch blocks, then what she refers to as "connectors" - 2 piece units with the light being the same as you are using in your alternate block and placed as Jane shows in post 20.

I don't know if I am helping you or making it more confusing... There are lots of very kind and helpful people here, so jump in and if you need help, just post. You'll get all the help you need here!

I broke the units from Bonnie Hunter's website up to make them easier to visualize. Wow, forgive my scribbly lines! I need a ruler to draw with, lol.

The 4 4-patches are outlined in royal blue. The connectors are outlined in light blue. The center square is outlined in orange. Make sure that your connectors have that constant light in each of the outside positions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Jane, your baby quilt will be delightful in the green/yellow combination. I may do the same as Christine and go with a specific fabric for the diagonal chain in my 25 piece blocks. I’m still on the fence about my background fabric but have started cutting 2.5 inch squares. I agree this will be a great ender/leader project.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I think I'll join along. Though I am thinking of doing it all using 2.5" squares, and dividing them into light/dark and a color for the center chain. I used up a lot of neutral scraps on other projects so won't use any on this one. I know I have a lot of reds set aside as I did another scrap project with no reds.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Where is it?

I've not used leaders/enders when piecing.. I don't notice any negative issues while piecing on my Juki straight stitch - such as bunched fabrics or thread nests - perhaps the auto thread cutter also makes it less obvious to need leaders/enders? Do you ladies use them for other reasons I may not be considering?

Macybaby, I bet your full-color scrappy will be wonderful - are you including any of those pretty Kaffe fabrics from the recent Boom?

JMoore - I keep thinking about your beautiful Arkansas Crossroads quilt you shared awhile ago - I hope I have the pattern name right. I quite admired that quilt and thought it would be a great way to use up leftover fabrics, too! Maybe it would be a nice future sew-along option?

I have two quilts to finish up and then I'll be cutting up a storm!
    Christine

Thanks all! I'm plugging away....
    Jane

I have half of the background block finished, cut them all but not all are assembled. I just had to do one of the scrappy blocks. This afternoon I did a pile of chained 2.5 squares for the scrappy blocks and have 150 pairs which will get me to about half of the total square that I need. Time to put them together and see show it all shakes out. Thank you, Peace and Joy, for the photo. I like making the four patches better than the rows of 2.5's like I did for the first block.

Don't want to scare anyone away but the Full size quilt will use.....924 2.5" squares if I calculated correctly! I am thrilled. Hope to use up my collection! Yes, I am part of the 2.5 " Birthday Swap group from here on the QB and only have to cut some blue from another scrape pile. I used most of my blues on another quilt.

Happy Scrappy to your all!
    Last edited by WMUTeach; 05-19-2019 at 04:23 PM.

Super Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    WMUTeach great start. Love thinking that it will use that many 2.5" squares as they do seem to multiply. Haven't started yet have to get my nieces wedding quilt top together so I can get it to my longarmer this week so I can get it back and get the binding on before July 4th. Then on to this pattern.
    ​Christine

Blog Entries
    Christine, yes...an Arkansas Crossroads quilt would also make a great sew along and wonderful way to use up scraps.

WMUTeach, when you mention how many 2.5 inch squares are needed, it seems a little daunting but I just cut 400 2” squares and 160 3-1/2” squares this weekend for a Doug Leko quilt I’m working on and that’s only the beginning. LOL

Name:  Irish Chain Scraps 1 resized.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  104.6 KB
    Name:  Irish Chain Blocks 1 resized.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  80.3 KB

Waiting for fabric to arrive so that I may finish two quilts - in the meantime, I've decided to cut scraps and make a test block.. there will be plenty of color!
    Last edited by TheMerkleFamily; 05-20-2019 at 07:01 AM.
    Christine

TheMerkleFamily I wish I was that organized with my squares. I cut them and they all go into a bin.

TheMerkleFamily-You are right-your quilt is going to be colorful and it will be so pretty with all of those scraps. Love the way you have all of your squares so organized. Please keep sharing your progress.

Beautiful colors, Christine!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thank you SBG. I was just poking around the birthday candy swap thread (I have little squares on the mind) and saw your fantastic blue quilt - It sure is pretty!
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    Beautiful colors, Christine!

Thanks, Christine! I went through my squares boxes and found I have so many that are children’s or novelty. So I’m going to make one with those squares.
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html

With the new grands you can never make/have too many children's quilts Looking forward to pics!

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    Thanks, Christine! I went through my squares boxes and found I have so many that are childrenís or novelty. So Iím going to make one with those squares.
    Christine

I finally got to sew today and made 8 of these blocks. I have hundreds of these squares already cut, from trades, the Birthday swap, and cutting my scraps as I go along. I have three boxes full of these! All I have to cut are the white parts.

So, this is going to be an I Spy Irish Chain quilt for a child. I will probably donate it. I actually have enough little squares to make several!

Name:  IMG_5174.JPG
Views: 395
Size:  161.6 KB

Wow, SBG, any child will love it! Imagine the hours of fun it will bring, starting at each tiny charm!
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Yes, I hope so! It might make a good naptime quilt.

Blog Entries
    Enjoy seeing what everyone is up to so far.

Christine, your quilt is going to be bright and delightful...I like the dark print you are using for the chain. I’m thinking of a similar layout but with red.

SBG, your I spy idea is awesome and you are always so thoughtful with your donations...you are an inspiration. I wish I had more time to quilt so that I would be able to donate more often.

TheMerkleFamily, that pile of candy is soooo pretty! What beautiful colors. That will be gorgeous.

SBG, your Ispy is adorable!

JMoore, looking forward to seeing your red center chain
    Christine

Love the pictures! Not participating but enjoying the journey vicariously.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast