Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Splendid Sampler 2

I think I'm going to use paper piecing for the pieced ring, and then use the appliquick method to turn under the seam allowance and then hand stitch it on. And maybe try the tin foil method to make the inner circle. Will be fun to try some new methods and see how it works.

I don't think I've used freezer paper for any applique so far.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

here is my second block. Still don't much care for hand applique.

My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Here is my second block. I used EPP and then machined down whole unit. This weeks block was ok but I preferred making last week’s.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It took me awhile to find where this thread had gone to. Lol. I am participating in this block of the week. I am using a collection of Thimbleberries fabrics I had leftover from my farmers wife quilt. I’m looking forward to seeing everyone’s blocks. I am having trouble attaching my pictures. I will try to get that figured out and post them.

Here is my Block #1

Here is block #2

Bcsews they look great!

bcsews- those turned out really nice! I'm not real happy with the colors in mine, but I'm going to stick with scraps. And when the blocks are done, I can move them around until I like what I've got. If I end up with something that really sticks out, I'll redo it at that time.

Block 3 is out today ladies! Not sure what I think of the clamshell look yet. I was hopeful my for some FPP today but maybe next week...

https://www.thesplendidsampler.com/2...len-stubbings/

Blog Entries
    My 1st two Name:  9FD6EB47-1D2D-4AD1-BB3B-1A7032E92A7E.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  1.05 MBName:  F170BC9E-6299-4295-8F99-246372246C32.jpeg
Views: 217
Size:  1.07 MBI have a box of Cotton and Steel random Fatquarters. Using them so this quilt will be a surprise tome too. Will see if the FQ will make it thru the whole quilt.
    I am following my retirement plan, I Quilt.

I made 4 wall hangings from the first book, changing colors when I got bored. I surprised myself by accomplishing some of the really tricky ones! I'm doing these in black and white w some color. However the 3rd block screams to me to be a small wall hanging. I've never done clamshells, but I think of it as close to EPP. Posting photos is a pain, especially since I now use my Iphone. Thanks to you who do show your work.
    Dotty in NYC

I love the centre of your block 2 giquilt.

Dotcomdtcm I know it is difficult to post from iphone sometimes (I post mine from iPhone) but it would be great to see a pic of several of your blocks together maybe?

Blog Entries
    Rjlinkletter,
    hello from Nashville, Tennessee, USA. Since I’m using a Mystery box of several lines from Cotton & Steel I have been delighted to find some cute prints. This particular one was a little bigger than the original circle, but I wanted to get the full effect of the view finder. I remember playing with one as a child. As we did not have TV, it was a wonderful, magical toy.

Loving everyone’s blocks.
    I am following my retirement plan, I Quilt.

Here is my block 3. I’m not massively pleased with it and think it will end up being a redo as I started my clamshells too high up. I might be able to fiddle with the seam allowances though when joining so we shall see.

What do you think of this week’s block? I’m disappointed it is another appliqué. I also think it is a bit child like so I am probably going to do an alternative block instead.

I think I'm pulling the plug on this one. I've looked at the 1st sampler and way too many blocks that I just don't care for and this sampler seems to be running very similar in theme. I've got plenty of other samplers I'm excited to get working on.

What other samplers are you looking at Macy?

All are very pretty. I prefer the strip blocks.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

RJL, I've got the "nearly insane" and "dear Jane" patterns, along with a few others. I'm considering the 100 modern blocks by Tula Pink.

I love working on a project with others and sharing online, so really wanted to like this one.

I wanted to like it too. I am going to see what this week’s is like and then make a decision. I also like to share each week....

This collection keeps me on my toes. I have soaked my fabric in diluted starch so it dries like paper. I smooth out the damp fabric on the bathroom tiles. (footnote Anita Grossman Solomon) Having trouble posting pics but I will try
    again. I'm also doing the Summer Sampler2018 via Fresh Lemon Quilts. More challenges. Good for the rapidly aging brain!
    Dotty in NYC

I haven’t posted here before, due to being on a long motorcycle trip to Alabama the last 2 weeks. I really liked the first block with the strip sets (or ‘strata’ as I’ve heard them called) but not the others so much. Like others here, I wanted to like all the blocks but hand work is not my thing. I’ll keep checking the blocks as they are published, and choose only those I want to do. That’s my quilting mind-set: only make blocks I like using fabric that I like. Life’s too short to struggle with sewing projects that don’t appeal to me.

I am a new poster here also.

I have been saving the weekly blocks and hope to actually complete some soon. I am a hand quilter who is learning to quilt by machine and these quilt along challenges appear to be a great way to learn some new techniques!

I have a hand quilting project that needs to be finished for a quilt show so I won’t be posting a completed block for awhile!

I have persevered and have caught up but swapped out 2 of the blocks for ones from SS1 as I have the book but only made a few of those blocks.

I am caught up on the blocks but have been having the same thoughts as some of you about pulling out. I don’t mind hand work but the blocks so far have had a lot of it an I’m not sure I want to continue. Here’s a picture of my completed blocks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast