UFO Challenge for 2021

Old 01-13-2021, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rff1010 View Post
Help! Please send motivation and or inspiration lest I UFO again.

Rule 1 for Quilts of Valor- if you are trying to honor someone's sacrifice don't give them something that looks like @$$.

I had alot of red white and blue scraps leftover from another project so I decided to try a QOV project. My odd sized pieces I crumb-ed together. I had some blue and white 4 patch with red surrounds I had orphaned from something else. I had some other blue white HSTs that i also surrounded to match style and size of the 4 patchs. I made some white w blue "spot in the middle" from some accidentally cut strips. So I had about equal number of 6.5 crumb blocks and organized blocks. The plan was to alternate so I would have strong red and white lines and crumbs in between.

It looked like hell. I spent 2 hours laying out, arranging, rearranging, taking pictures. I just wanted to cry because it was just so disappointing. I finally abandoned the crumb blocks and got to.something...tolerable....but just barely and I'm not really proud of it.

So I'm looking for some sympathy. Suggestions. Stories perhaps of your own struggles with crumbs, scraps.

(I'm trying to attach pictures as I know that will give more perspective on my tale of woe)
Sometimes RW&B can be just too intense. I would suggest bringing in gold, goldenrod or a butter scotch color to soften the impact of RW&B. Wish we had a photo. Do you need help with photos? I can send directions of what works for me. PM me. Then we can all give you way too many ideas of what to do!
Old 01-15-2021, 07:10 PM

Still can't figure out pictures....sigh...it was easier on my old phone.

I decided to pack up and put away the blocks. Distance brings perspective. I'll finish the 2 projects on the table right now and then take them out again.

Sometimes you need to cut yourself some slack.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

Managed to get a lot done today. Baby quilts that needed either quilting and binding or just bindings— Done—
Attached Thumbnails 2841cb57-50d2-4821-b3e2-bb396ee256bb.jpeg   cfdc13fe-67cd-43ea-b96f-b2871773747f.jpeg   f0ae1ed6-be0d-42fc-bc67-c6a9f907f810.jpeg   e4cfa55f-9fbc-48f7-95e5-fcae63a12b8f.jpeg   9741631c-0bc2-41fa-8220-c989b1d48e0a.jpeg  

Old 01-16-2021, 06:19 PM

Wow, 5 finishes! I am so impressed. I finally got myself to add the binding on a UFO from last summer today. It has been sitting looking at me for the past 3 weeks. I have about 1/3 of it stitched done on the back. I hand stitch. More tomorrow!
Old 01-16-2021, 07:33 PM

ckcowl: Awesome finishes!

WMUTeach: Exciting to be that close to your UFO being finished.

I got sidetracked this afternoon with my sewing after my niece texted that 2 of her nieces and 2 of her nephews were playing basketball tonight. It took me a while to figure out how to watch online but I was able to see parts of all of their games. It's hard to watch 2 games at a time on 2 different devices. LOL! I found out that one of the broadcasting services replays all of the games so I can watch them later.

Last edited by retiredteacher09; 01-16-2021 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:46 AM

Wow Ckcowl- congratulations on all five finishes!

Rob
Old 01-17-2021, 07:03 AM

5 finishes, CK! You are a powerhouse. K is trying some ruler quilting on our current UFO. It will take a while before it's finished. 8 days after our last snow, it will be 70 tomorrow so I'm going to ride. I have just under 2000 miles so far on my motorcycle for my riding group's year (Nov 1-Oct 31) so I need to get my knees in the breeze! My goal for this year is 10,000 miles. My group has a contest every year, & I've only managed 10K once.
I'm going out of town to help my daughter recover from surgery this Friday so I won't be sewing for several days. If K can complete her ruler quilting we may have another UFO to add to the Jan count

Last edited by Conchalea; 01-17-2021 at 07:06 AM. Reason: More information
Old 01-17-2021, 03:31 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the kudos, it’s nice to feel like I’m productive again, my 8 months of Therapy and recovery from my Traumatic brain injury I didn’t accomplish much- then getting back to work was a slow process too. 16 months after the accident and I am feeling almost back on track and definitely motivated.
I will have a couple mid week days this week ( they are the best for me getting things done) and I have a twin size quilt with the binding hand stitching about 2/3 done- going to get that done and load up a quilt to get quilted. Have to look at that list to see which one I should load. I really want to spend a day decluttering more and organizing my scraps- I have to add the top & bottom borders on the 2020 Temperature Quilt then I can fold that up & set it aside for a little while ( I don’t have backing/ batting for it- it wound up much bigger than I thought it would be) I do have to keep it close though- it’s for my daughter’s birthday in March.
as I settle into a more ( regular) work schedule I should be able to continue to make a good dent in those ufos.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:25 PM

Fantastic finishes, Ckcowl... and, I would love to see your temperature quilt even if it’s not quilted. I’ve been looking forward to seeing it..

I prepped my BH mystery quilt and it’s ready for LA’er. I didn’t make the whole pattern so mine came out to 72” sq. Every bit of it was stash except backing. I almost completely depleted a couple of stash scrap colors used, which is great. I’m kitting up a scrappy using my gazillion 2 1/2” squares for a leader/ended project. I’m not very disciplined in leader/Enders (I forget!). Fingers crossed!
Old 01-17-2021, 06:30 PM

I think I'll try krisb's method from last year & have people PM me as they finish a UFO. Put your name & how many UFOs for the current month & I'll try to keep count. With everyone's help, we can keep our tally during 2021.