Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
UFO Challenge of the Month 2011 >

UFO Challenge of the Month 2011

UFO Challenge of the Month 2011

Old 01-11-2011, 09:49 PM

I am ready for this challenge. I start my 7 days off this morning and hoping to have my sewing room completly organized by sunday so I can start machine quilting my last two days off. Than on my next 7 days off Jan 26th thru 31st. I should be able to get one UFO done. I really want to get my UFO's and stash a little under control this year. My goal is to be able to fit all my fabric in one room. This excludes the batting since I buy it by the bolts and it has to be stored in spare bedroom closet.You all are such an inspiration to me.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:12 AM

I've been so good, have sent one finished top to the LA for quilting, too big for me and my little domestic machine, and today spent all day at hospital while DH had hand surgery, so took along DGD's big bed quilt, and have almost completed all the handquilting. Forgot how therapeutic hand quilting really is.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:34 AM

I'll participate too, but don't think I can get one finished by the end of this month. Maybe in another month or two, since it's piece the whole side of a king duvet. The other side got pieced last year but the blocks aren't sewn together yet.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by biscuitqueen
WOW that is a beautifl potholder
That's too pretty to use as a potholder. It should be displayed on the wall!
Old 01-12-2011, 05:57 AM

I'm in , I have 3 to finish and one to start. So count in.
I like this idea it will help me me focus.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:14 AM

I'll give it a shot, I just need to stop going to the fabric store. Where I buy more fabric and sign up for more classes. So far No classes and only 2yrds of fabric. :?:
Old 01-12-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by CBAKER
I'll give it a shot, I just need to stop going to the fabric store. Where I buy more fabric and sign up for more classes. So far No classes and only 2yrds of fabric. :?:
After nearly twenty years of being fascinated by quilting and practicing this fine mode of creativity, I have a boat load of supplies including a fabric store (almost) of fabric and darn near that many years worth of most quilting magazines and books! Oh! Let me tell you about the books!
About two weeks, while perusing through a box of magazines to see what to share and what to put back into storage (for someday) the truth of the craft dawned on me:
The patterns were all about the same. The most difference came in the lines of fabric being highlighted.
Unless I need to spend twenty five dollars (today, how much tomorrow?) to learn a new technique, I have purchased my last book or magazine.
If I absolutely HAVE to spend some money on quilting, I head to the thrift store and purchase a bunch of good quality shirts, blouses, skirts, dresses, curtains - - whatever fabric that is of good quality and suitable for quilts.
Some of us will always purchase fabric for simply one project at a time - - these might be considered the conservatives of the bunch ... if you don't have a plan for scraps, you had best find one:
http://www.quiltville.com
If you only have two yards of fabric, do you really have any Un-Finished Objects? You may be well ahead of the quilting game:thumbup: .. if so, good for you.
Most of us have quilt tops that we have never matched to a back or even considered how to quilt it - - unfinished.
Many of us have pieces of quilts waiting to be turned into quilt tops ... hence, the reason for this thread ...
I can almost guarantee that if you hang around with us very long, we will not be picking up your good habits, but your sewing area WILL begin to look like ours! (just something to think about <g>) <wave>
Old 01-12-2011, 12:17 PM

I had read this thread earlier but never officially joined so......I'm here and ready to go! So far I have my first UFO top almost completely done. My idea of a UFO finished for now will have to be having the top done. My husband has been without a job for quite a while now so I am waiting until he has one before I buy backing and batting.

Anyways, I am working on finishing the "My Blue Heaven" from Quiltville. I didn't realize it would be big enough to cover my bed when finished! Oh well, I'll keep plugging away.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:51 PM

You keep plugging away and keep the faith. was there, I was out of work for over 6 months almost lost everything, but I kept the faith.
Never thought that a nurse educator could be with out work but it happen.
I'll be praying that your husband find work very soon..
Old 01-12-2011, 01:17 PM

thank you! we are trying to keep the faith. at least now he's getting interviews. holidays were a little rough, but we all learned the importance of family more than gifts. we aren't alone in this, our friends have been keeping us going. i've decided that the quilt i'm working on now is my prayer quilt because i've prayed so much while sewing it. i hope it will always serve as a reminder that this is when God was carrying us!

the sewing is a huge stress relief so it's keeping me going. and now i'm forced to use some of those scraps and material that i've been saving for some day. i did have to break down and buy more thread though. thank heaven's for joann's half off sales!