Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
UFO Challenge of the Month 2012 >

UFO Challenge of the Month 2012

UFO Challenge of the Month 2012

Old 07-31-2012, 06:14 AM

You silly girl, trying to get me in a swap already. But I think I would participate in that swap again. i was able to finish four of them for that swap. It was fun seeing them come together. I still have one more quilt to make out of the same blocks I used on thomp116's quilt. I have all the blocks made up, just have to find the setting squares. Going to Buggy Barn on Saturday and hope to find something to go with them again. I also have log cabin blocks left over from Whigrose's and Tammoos's quilts. I am going to make another star setting and quilt it to put in show. That will be done here in August. So you know two of the ones I am working on. i am trying to finish up one more other 30s quilt that I started a couple of years ago for show as well. Yep, detail month for August.
Originally Posted by jillaine View Post
so if we repeated the quilt for quilters swap, you might participate? ;-)

Hey, how many UFOs did you remove from your list due to that swap? :-)
Old 07-31-2012, 07:00 AM

By mentioning left over blocks from other projects, QM is raising an issue I have a question about-- is leftover fabric from a project automatically a UFO? Just yesterday, I went through my sewing room and placed the leftovers from projects into their own ziploc bags. Are these now UFOs? Or are they something else?
Old 07-31-2012, 07:04 AM

Funny you should ask that because my daughter claims it is another project because i set it aside for a potential quilt. My answer to her was and still is, no it is not a UFO because I do not have all the pieces cut, no pattern in mind yet, and the rest of the fabric is not with it so can't be ready for a quilt so I proclaim that the leftover fabric from a project that is "organized" neatly in a baggie is not a UFO. There, hope that helps. Otherwise I would be in so much trouble.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:34 AM

Hi everyone.
I guess everyone is busy sewing.
It's too hot here to do much of anything.
Over the last week, I've cleaned out my sewing area.
I took a lot of breaks because of the heat.
Finally finished it yesterday.

I'll tell you...it was a real purging!
I threw away, gave away,sold.
I packaged up bags of felt, bundles of scrap batting and fabric and scrap pieces of muslin backing.
For the scrap pieces of my favorite fabrics, I cut them into strips.
I dumped old containers, old blades, dried-out fabric markers, twisted scissors, chipped rulers and a bunch of other stuff.
I went through my patterns and techniques I had printed from the internet and put a lot into paper recycling.
Also went through my mags and brought 2 bundles to the local library.

It feels like the first day of the school year when everything is fresh and there is such promise for future success.

I now have many empty drawers in my cabinets.

Of course, this will lead to new fabric buying but I've promised myself that I will only buy what I need for a project.
Like a new school year, we'll see how long the promise lasts!!

I have 3 bunches of strips....cut 1.5" ,2.0",and 2.5" wide.
Would like your suggestions on an EASY pattern (meaning a pattern that doesn't need a lot of concentration)

Looking forward to hearing from all of you and seeing more of your FOs.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:24 AM

Here is a quilt I finished Friday...didn't quite get done in July, but this is close enough for me. I also have another one that should be finished this afternoon (as long as I have enough fabric for the binding).

The 49ers quilt is for a friend's son...
Attached Thumbnails ricks-quilt-bottom.jpg   rick-close-up-blocks.jpg  
Old 08-05-2012, 04:29 AM

Ranger--sounds like you made GREAT progress!! Keep it up. I haven't been quilting for too long so at this point my scraps aren't out of control. I need to find a good way to sort them now, so that later they are more manageable.

Hope all have a great Sunday!
carrie
Old 08-05-2012, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by carriem View Post
Here is a quilt I finished Friday...didn't quite get done in July, but this is close enough for me. I also have another one that should be finished this afternoon (as long as I have enough fabric for the binding).

The 49ers quilt is for a friend's son...
Great job,carriem!
Ring the bell for you.
Looking at the alternate block in your quilt and was curious.......when doing the block, did you use a partial seam?
Old 08-05-2012, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

I find mine become true UFO and stay that way forever. I still have stuff in gallong ziplock bags from over 10 years ago.

Originally Posted by jillaine View Post
By mentioning left over blocks from other projects, QM is raising an issue I have a question about-- is leftover fabric from a project automatically a UFO? Just yesterday, I went through my sewing room and placed the leftovers from projects into their own ziploc bags. Are these now UFOs? Or are they something else?
Old 08-05-2012, 05:46 AM

No partial seams...you sew strip sets...the white and black is one and the other is black, red, black...then cut into sections and sew3 'rows' together. I used a moda marble and I think that hid the seams.

The pattern is called "Race Tracks". It was a 5 yard quilt that I added more fabric to so it would be a little wider.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:10 AM

Thanks.
So, the black,red, black have strips the same width and black/white has the white twice as wide as the black.
Am I 'seeing' that the right way?