Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 14 of 67 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 24 64 ... LastLast

Thread: UFO Challenge of the Month 2012

Yesterday I finished my denim rag quilt that I started back in 2010. All it needs is washing. 1 down - 7 to go.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
    Okay, I'm in trouble. a couple beautiful flannel rag quilts have been posted in the past week. I want so badly to start mine. Ladies; please talk me down. This is exactly how it starts. I think, "I'll only do a few of these blocks, just to take a break from what I am working on." Tada, another UFO.
    Emma...I know just what you are feeling.
    I am trying to get the quilting finished on my Forest Bricks top.
    Then I decided that I want to do a sampler.
    I am no inspiration to you because I cut out the pieces for 6 blocks of a sampler.

On the plus side...I put aside the cut pieces and I'm still slogging away at the quilting on Forest Bricks.

Isn't this just how we get to have so many UFOs!!
    ranger
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Life...you muddle your way through it and then you die!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy1 View Post
    I am finally starting my UFO that I hope to have the spokes completed by the end of the month and the whole quilt done by the end of February. I started this quilt in 2010 and got tired of getting up and down up and down. It is a paper piecing Venice Rose using freezer paper. All the fabric is cut and numbered - all I need to do is sew, tack and cut over and over again. I started working on it today, the first spoke took me 2 hours, the second only an hour. I shall get it done. Posted is the first 1/4 of the spokes that I completed before I stopped for over a year. I will post again when it is a full circle sewed together.
    Murphy, love your pattern and the colors are so rich-looking.....beautiful .
    Please finish it, as I would love to see it completed.
    Would like to know where you got the pattern.
    Then again...if I get the pattern, I'll probably wind up with another UFO!
    Still, I would like to have the pattern for inspiration.......he-he!
    ranger
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blog Entries
    I don't know very many of us who have that self control. I get bored easily and need several things going at once.
    I don't think it has as much to do with self control, but neccessity. I've always loved sewing, but with working outside the home that included extensive traveling, if I was going to get any satifaction in my love of sewing, I had to finish the project I was working on with the time I had to donate to the project. Since I was in sales and marketing, unhappiness with myself did not help my attitude in my work. So, a habit was formed and I still have it! Enjoying this retirement!
    Last edited by bubble951; 01-18-2012 at 05:48 AM.

When I posted I knew you guys would understand the lure of a new project. Strangely enough the responses gave me laugh and put me back on track.
    Ranger: I am afraid you and I are kindred spirits. Quiltermomma is here for you. I would try to help but I would probably just ask where you got the pattern.

Blog Entries
    This quilt is from Bella Bella Quilts by Norah McMeeking. If you google Venice Rose there will be lots of this quilt. Her book uses the titles of Italy for inspiration. There are 40 spokes, I have 12 done. I shall work, work, work today. Thanks for the encouragement.
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Murphy, love your pattern and the colors are so rich-looking.....beautiful .
    Please finish it, as I would love to see it completed.
    Would like to know where you got the pattern.
    Then again...if I get the pattern, I'll probably wind up with another UFO!
    Still, I would like to have the pattern for inspiration.......he-he!
    Murphy1
    For our wonderful Golden Retriever adopted in March of 2010.

Blog Entries
    Murphy, thanks for the info.
    ranger

Sign me up I need to get busy and finish lots and lots of UFO's.
    Robbi

Dear "short and sweet" WOW! WOW! I'm really impressed with your organizing!! You go, girl!! All my stash in is plastic totes in the attic and in the closet. Problem is - "out of sight, out of mind." You are doing good!

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy1 View Post
    I am finally starting my UFO that I hope to have the spokes completed by the end of the month and the whole quilt done by the end of February. I started this quilt in 2010 and got tired of getting up and down up and down. It is a paper piecing Venice Rose using freezer paper. All the fabric is cut and numbered - all I need to do is sew, tack and cut over and over again. I started working on it today, the first spoke took me 2 hours, the second only an hour. I shall get it done. Posted is the first 1/4 of the spokes that I completed before I stopped for over a year. I will post again when it is a full circle sewed together.
    Love those colors. I hear you about getting up and down with paper piecing, but I told myself it kept me from getting a stiff neck as I stretched each time I got up to go to the ironing board. Keep at it and I for one, am looking forward to seeing the finished product.
    Kathleen

Live today as if it may be your last, for who knows...

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing the UFO's--will be a treat to see that lovely swirl when finished.
    I'm like so many of us--so many ideas started. Rag quilt--have one started another UFO to finish!! I haven't dared count mine, but have 2 done so far.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

I'm finally able to sew again after my knee arthroscopy so I'm working on the t-shirt quilt first. I really want to get this one finished. Next I will finish the Marine's quilt. I have the squares for the t-shirt quilt all done and today I cut the sashings and borders and made the strip sets for the scrappy borders. That's about all my knee could take for one day. But I am thrilled to be able to do that much!
    Last edited by wildyard; 01-18-2012 at 09:54 PM.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Wildyard: Glad you talked about your tshirt because that is all I have to do with mine. After reading your reply I thought, Hey, that is really I have to do. I just have to sash and border. The "hard" part is done - got the t-shirt squares done so I don't know why I have put that one down on the list. I am going to have to move that to the top. Thanks!

I'm in! Got several in various stages that have been set aside. One just need binding, so that will be my first. Plan to work on it tomorrow at our "sit and sew".

If you have ordered a kit way back when and not got around to starting it, does it count as a UFO?

Blog Entries
    Yes, it does because it was the intent on making the quilt.
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Blog Entries
    Ladies, be sure to vote on the Purse challenge!!
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Blog Entries
    We must keep plugging away, but alas I ponied up to the FWPonyClub sew along on the board. I'm entering a little late as they started first week of Jan, but hope the sew along keeps me on track.
    Linda--glad to hear you are back sewing again, hope your "time off" allowed you to do some other quilt related things.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

progress on t-shirt quilt

Well, first of all, I think that the rule is, if you consider it a UFO, then it counts. There are no other rules about it so far as I know.
    I thought I'd take a break to rest my knee and show you all where I am on the quilt. I am ready to add the outer borders but here is how it looks so far:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Blog Entries
    Those primary colors sure spiced up your quilt, Linda!!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Blog Entries
    Linda, that looks great!!
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee

Thanks for the kind words! I now have the outside borders sewn on and am debating adding a 2.5" scrappy border from all the fabrics that frame the tshirt squares.
    This would never be my choice of colors but I know the person I am making it for is going to love it. And that is what matters!
    Linda Wedge White

Wildyard- That's the happiest T-shirt quilt I've ever seen!
    Oksewglad- Your're right about the PC cutting into time with my UFO's, yet seeing everyone's getting done is keeping me on track w/my DGSon's quilt. So I'm working on the PC quilt, my cousins quilt, & my DGSon's quilt. Ya'll are keeping me on track! Thanks!
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Blog Entries

How does something become a UFO? Starting to wonder how anything gets finished!!!

I started this "quick" and "easy" project in November to celebrate completing a UFO. 1 off the list, 1 on the list I thought.

Pattern: Summer in the Park; Missouri Star Quilt Co. video tutorial using "only" a jelly roll paired with a light fabric. Sew into tubes and rotary cut...easy right?

Strip sewing was easy. Rotary cutting was easy. Pressing...painful. Squaring them up...painful. Matching the points almost caused a heart attack! And then...I laid the pattern out on the floor and could barely even see it! What to do? What to do? Pack it up, that's what = UFO

I know, try some sashing. Shop, shop, shop some more and purchase fabulous sashing. No time to work on that now. Pack it up.

Now what for borders? Shop, shop, shop and order coordinating paisley print ...that looks hideous with the rest of it. Ugh! Pack it up.

Backing? I know. Use hideous paisley that didn't work for borders! Check.

If I could just figure out those borders, this will still be the fastest top I have ever completed!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

Quote Originally Posted by sylviak View Post
    If you have ordered a kit way back when and not got around to starting it, does it count as a UFO?
    If it does, I'll have to add about 2 dozen more to my UFO list
    I do sort of count them as WIPs since I did really plan to make them when I purchased the kits.

Today I got some more done on my Sis's BD quilt. This looked like such a straightforward quilt when I started. It's taking so much more than I expected time wise. I satin stirched around 31 one inch squares today and have 31 to go. Not hard - just tedious. The rest should go at a faster pace, I hope.
    Every day's a blessing.

Page 14 of 67 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 24 64 ... LastLast