Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 20 of 67 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 30 ... LastLast

Thread: UFO Challenge of the Month 2012

Finally - #1 finished!

I finally completed my first UFO for this challenge. These four placemats were started four years ago. I completed and gifted the matching table runner at that time.

My sister will receive these for Christmas in 2012.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Oh how nice. Love those placemats. Ok, now that I hit my goal for January, 10 projects done, I am off to February. My goal will be to get 10 done as well at the least. This way by end of year I should have all my UFOs completed. Then i can start some new stuff. The only flaw in my plan is that I keep adding in extra things to do to keep up with the present, like extra swaps. I need to figure a way to incorporate the new things from the old things. Any ideas? out of my UFOs, there are only three things for my house, the rest are whatevers. Takes the drive out of it ya think?
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Blog Entries
    Rita....love those placemats. What did the table runner look like?

QuilterMomma....sounds like maybe the whatevers could be used for some of your swaps!
    Kris

Blog Entries
    Rita, I like the placemats.
    The background color is beautiful.

I've started working on another UFO.
    It's a top that needed quilting. I sandwiched it last week.
    Since it was a stormy day here today, I sat and quilted for 3 hours with just a few short breaks.
    I have over 1/2 the top quilted. I may get this one finished tomorrow...at least the quilting part of it.
    ranger
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Life...you muddle your way through it and then you die!

Huge welcome hugggggggsssssssssss NotByTheBook!! Happy to have you with us. This is a wonderful supportive and motivational group here so you are in the right place. Working with our hands definitely helps to heal our hearts and we are here to encourage you and support you as you move on in your life.
    We'd love to hear what project you are going to tackle and see pics before and after.
    Today I worked on my Feb. project and got two of the corner units sewn together. Yayyyyyy, a little head start is always good. Here is a pic of what I am doing just now: Marine's Memories
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thomp116 View Post
    QuilterMomma....sounds like maybe the whatevers could be used for some of your swaps!
    If they are finished quilts, purses, pot holders, ball men, and the like, there are now swaps for these. The scraps, yes for a few of the swaps going on right now. I just have to make the time to do the swaps. I used two of the kits for the Q4Q swap and have them ready to go. Had to redo one of them because not right color pallette. Have that top to quilt this month. We will see. I guess I can save them all up and in November when the craft sale is on, I will sell them there. It is hard to make a sale because no one wants to pay the price of even making a quilt. I add up the costs and then put that price on it and they just do not sell. Come on now, for a nicely quilted quilt that is even made with a pattern of bargello, does not sell for $50 that is lap sized. What do you do. The ball men should sell this year. I am going to make some of them snowmen, santas, pumpkins, turkeys, and then just fun guys and gals. Will see I guess. Would just give them away, but husband might have a fit over that one. He is generous, but when you give something away that cost you $200 to make, he questions you. All for the Lord I tell him.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
    If they are finished quilts, purses, pot holders, ball men, and the like, there are now swaps for these. The scraps, yes for a few of the swaps going on right now. I just have to make the time to do the swaps. I used two of the kits for the Q4Q swap and have them ready to go. Had to redo one of them because not right color pallette. Have that top to quilt this month. We will see. I guess I can save them all up and in November when the craft sale is on, I will sell them there. It is hard to make a sale because no one wants to pay the price of even making a quilt. I add up the costs and then put that price on it and they just do not sell. Come on now, for a nicely quilted quilt that is even made with a pattern of bargello, does not sell for $50 that is lap sized. What do you do. The ball men should sell this year. I am going to make some of them snowmen, santas, pumpkins, turkeys, and then just fun guys and gals. Will see I guess. Would just give them away, but husband might have a fit over that one. He is generous, but when you give something away that cost you $200 to make, he questions you. All for the Lord I tell him.
    What are the ball men?
    Kris

Blog Entries
    At our office we have a baseball field by us and they hit their balls into our yard, yes break windows and such. They do not come over and ask for them back so we keep them. I have a large box full. One day I decided to use up some of those scraps i have been collecting. Well, I made it into a pin cushion with a face. He holds a needle sharpening strawberry and wears a hat of some sorts. I made one into a clown and an angel. They are cute. I don't have a photo at the office here anymore to show you, but I have posted him on the board under ballman. I count this as one project even though there are about 30 of them to do. It was fun making up my own pattern.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
    At our office we have a baseball field by us and they hit their balls into our yard, yes break windows and such. They do not come over and ask for them back so we keep them. I have a large box full. One day I decided to use up some of those scraps i have been collecting. Well, I made it into a pin cushion with a face. He holds a needle sharpening strawberry and wears a hat of some sorts. I made one into a clown and an angel. They are cute. I don't have a photo at the office here anymore to show you, but I have posted him on the board under ballman. I count this as one project even though there are about 30 of them to do. It was fun making up my own pattern.
    I think I remember seeing that awhile back now that you mention posting a picture. You need some Steeler ones!
    Kris

Sorry for your loss NotByThe Book. I agree that sewing, quilting and crafting really helps with the healing. And that this is a very supportive and encouraging group. Hope we see pics soon.
    Quiltermomma, I'm glad you explained ball men. Sound really cute. It's too bad that people aren't aware of the cost of materials and the time involved.
    I've decided that this year, I'm going to stay away from block exchanges and such. I have 3 potential quilts waitng to be put together from block swaps and I am doing a (2012) BD block exchange so that will make 4. The blocks are beautiful but I just can't seem to visualize how to put them together.
    Happy February everyone.
    Every day's a blessing.

Blog Entries
    You are so right thomp116 I bet those would go over well if I made them little football guys with team colors. They do not have to be pincushions then they could be just for fun. I like that idea. Will definitely be cheering for the Giants over the Patriots this weekend. Would love to see Giants smack down the Patriots again!

So goals for February anyone?

Blog Entries
    I need to finish my Fall quilt and my Valentine swap blocks. I had to put them both aside and only work on them sparingly. I'm in the process of moving(unexpectedly). So, once that's squared away, I can devote time to those and my swap blocks. And I want to finish the fall quilt and valentine quilt by the end of the month.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee

Finished UFO for January, 10 placemats I had attached the binding before surgery and finished hand sewing it down to the back. On to Feb
    After 2 years with the same signature I have been requested to remove it. Bye

Blog Entries
    That was smart thinking brushandthimble. You did good girl. Hope the healing is going quickly and you are up and running agiain.

Notbythebook - I'm so glad that you're back in the swing of things!
    Quiltermomma - My goals for Feb. are (1) to practice some FMQ on a small piece with the wool batting so that I can get rid of the eyelashes & (2) FMQ my DGS's Solar System Quilt. (3) Stay up with the PC blocks. (4) Make a 6 hour Quilt for my Apprentice. She is leaving to go live with her fiance in Austin. I'll put one strip on it a day. Her baby is due in July so I'll be able to finish this one. Her leaving will give me 3 or 4 more afternoons to work on my owne things.
    Judith1005 - So sorry you have to stop & move. That's the way life is, right when you start to develop a rhythm something comes along & changes it.
    brushandthimble - You thought that out wonderfully.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Blog Entries
    I got my chicken swap quilt quilted last night. Now to get it trimmed and the binding on. Now where did I put that binding? I make the binding for these quilts and am misplacing it. Frustrating.

Blog Entries
    Dubib - Please make sure you post a picture of the solar sysem quilt. My friend is going to make one and would like another idea!

QuilterMomma - You are so right - Go Giants!

As for February.....I am working on my Bonnie Hunter 'Roll, Roll, Cotton Boll.' Will probably do some quilting this month, too. I have lots of tops waiting to be quilted and finished.
    Kris

This is not a great pict but here it is. The stars are appliquilted. I glued 'em on then when the quilt was sandwhiched & I had SID between the blocks I then top stitched the stars down through all 3 layers. The Solar System blocks are the ones that I'm trying to FMQ swirls on. 2 blocks are quilted then 2 other blocks had to be frog stitched. (rip it... rip it... ripp it....) You can see the press & seal on some of the blocks where I'm planning to do the swirls!

Name:  Star quilt.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  37.7 KB

The stars are Candle Quilter Stars. I made these 1/2" bigger & turned 'em down 1/4" all around.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...r-t118617.html
    Bev

dublb: Love your quilt! The pieced and solid blocks really compliment each other!

Quote Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
    dublb: Love your quilt! The pieced and solid blocks really compliment each other!
    Thank You! Now if I can just get those swirls done. I could've hand quilted it much faster!
    Bev

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dublb View Post
    This is not a great pict but here it is. The stars are appliquilted. I glued 'em on then when the quilt was sandwhiched & I had SID between the blocks I then top stitched the stars down through all 3 layers. The Solar System blocks are the ones that I'm trying to FMQ swirls on. 2 blocks are quilted then 2 other blocks had to be frog stitched. (rip it... rip it... ripp it....) You can see the press & seal on some of the blocks where I'm planning to do the swirls!

Name:  Star quilt.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  37.7 KB

The stars are Candle Quilter Stars. I made these 1/2" bigger & turned 'em down 1/4" all around.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...r-t118617.html

I like your solar system quilt.
    I did one last year using an Attic Window block.

I am curious about the Press & Seal.
    How do you use it?
    And does it stay on well while you're quilting?
    ranger
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Life...you muddle your way through it and then you die!

Blog Entries
    Looking good dublb! Am curious about the PNS too.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the picture, dubib. Love the star idea!
    Kris

OK, my first QB act. UFO's are me. One this month, huh . . . I'll do it. Thanks for the encouragement. I was reading (? somewhere?) that when we don't finish things, it teaches us we can't. I want to learn i can. Will be back within the month with a picture.

How I use Press & Seal. First I cut a piece of Press & Seal to fit my block. It was too thin so I put another small piece with it. Then I put this piece onto the paper that I was copying swirls from & traced it with a Sharpie marker. I had ta make a few adjustments so that it flowed & fit on the square. Third I put the press & seal onto the block I want ta quilt. Those pieces in the picture have been on the quilt for 4 months so they are staying. I'll have ta smooth 'em out when I start quilting again, 'cause some of the edges are coming up. After it is quilted and it's time to take it off, it tears better than paper. Some of the tight corners are a little hard ta come off but I then use tweezers. Clear as mud?
    Bev

Page 20 of 67 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 30 ... LastLast