Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 22 of 67 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 32 ... LastLast

Thread: UFO Challenge of the Month 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Fraew View Post
    Finally finshed my January UFO top...ready for the LAQ (that's finished for me) and in the mail tomorrow.

It started as Summer in the Park and finished as who knows what. Did I say finished? Yes, I did! Woo hoo!
    Nice contrast. Lovely colors.Wow! Finished also. Perfect!
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Blog Entries

February's UFO Project, now a WIP!

I started this project in the 90s (Bargello in the Round I think).
    I bought a fancy new tool (wedge ruler), cut and pieced strips and went to it.
    The circle went together pretty quickly.
    Then, I had to deal with the circle hole in the middle...and I wasn't happy with the result.
    And...I didn't really want a round quilt but how in the world does someone new to quilting make a nice square quilt from a circle?

Instant UFO!

Thanks to this board and all you lovely people, I discovered Bella Bella Quilts by Norah McMeeking. Written well after I gave up on this by the way.

And now...let's get 'er done! Stay tuned!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

Fraew, your work is incredible. Great use of color in both of them. Congrads on the Jan & Feb finish!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Bev and Emma!
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski

Your Welcome.
    Bev

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherryquilts View Post
    I need to stop procrastinating and get a photo posted. I finished a quick purple flannel and recycled denim rag quilt that had been cut out for a couple of years. When I make rag quilts I like to clip the seams as I sew; it is way to hard on my hands to do it all at the end.
    So purple for a Viking's fan? G
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Blog Entries
    Well, for February, I finally quilted and got binding on a mystery quilt that needed done. I did not get photos of it yet, will work on that. Also, I finished my chicken swap quilt, fully quilted, binding on and sewn down, with the buttons on eyes and so forth. It is 100% done. Husband said that for a chicken quilt, he thought was pretty quilt, and he does not like chickens. Made me feel good. I finished the Valentine top, quilted, finishing binding today. It is ready. A day late and dollar short, but done. I took out the wilderness blocks and they are on the wall. Told husband is his quilt, arrange them and I will ge them sewn down. I pulled all the fabric out of the stash and scraps. Will put borders on and get ready. I also loaded another orphan top. It is an applique one. If you have one of those in your UFO pile, get it done. Rhonda is having a contest for applique quilts. Would be worth it to finish. It may take a while to quilt, but good practice for me. I know what I want to do on it, just a lot of starts and stops.

Great round bargello. It will be nice to see it finished. On a program from Carol Doak, on smaller blocks, she has you take and fold the circle into fourths, half then half, take that measurement on the curved edge, use the outside measurements, cut you corner fabric out and set it. Now I know yours is much larger, but would not hurt to practice with a piece of muslin or somehting yucky or paper for that matter to get the right dimention and then use that as a template for your good fabric and see if that does not work to square up.

Lovely window string quilt. Congratulations on GETTING R DONE!!!!!
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the tips QuilterMomma...I will give it a try as you suggested and yes, definately practice on yucky first.
    Fraew

Blog Entries
    Ok, I know this is not the UFO, but finished one so did not become an UFO. here is my valentine quilt from the swap we just had. Not the greatest photo, but works. Name:  valentine Quilt.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  247.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
    Ok, I know this is not the UFO, but finished one so did not become an UFO. here is my valentine quilt from the swap we just had. Not the greatest photo, but works. Name:  valentine Quilt.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  247.0 KB
    It definitely goes here 'cause now it's not a UFO! Way ta go!!
    Bev

Blog Entries
    It even has the binding done. That is what normally hangs me up.

Blog Entries
    VickiM, Nice finish! Love the color pallet on the first one. The daisy one is so Cheery.

SherryQuilts, I love the denim quilt. And I love the idea that it has some flannel on the back.

Fraew, YOU finished!! I love love love your summer in the park quilt. Awesome finish. And can't wait to see what you do with the bargello in the round. Another beautiful start.

QuilterMomma, I just love what you did with your Valentine blocks. And it's all finished and bound. Woot Woot!! No UFO.

Mine has oficially gone on my UFO list for now. I have a few other things to finish first. A charity quilt...My fall quilt...and...and BABY stuff has moved to the head of the list. I just found out I'm going to be a grandma.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee

Quote Originally Posted by Judith1005 View Post
    I just found out I'm going to be a grandma.
    Ain't nothin' better'n grandkids!
    Bev

Congratulations Judith!!

Everyones work looks great. I have got to get off of this couch and get to work. Got stuck with a stomach bug and it's making me fall behind.
    Brooke

Blog Entries
    Congrats Judith!
    Fraew

Blog Entries

Another one down.

I have another finish. Onaemtnest's turtles. (made as a special request from a board member.) You know, that saying when you fill your plate with too much food...."Your eyes are bigger then your stomach". Well, I think I did that with the turtles. I have 3 more little ones that just need their shells attached. And four bigger ones that are just a fraction of the way finished. But, I do have one completely finished. Mailed off and received. These really are the cutest things. And after the initial first one, very easy. But, they are more time consuming then I thought they would be.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Thank you so much everybody. And, I'm going to keep fitting in at least one UFO a month. Because I still have a few things to finished. Things I want to finish.! Besides, I love coming here to see all the pretty finished projects. My projects are simple. (that's how I quilt right now) But yours are sew inspiring. And as my quilting skills grow....I am inspired to try new things. Funny, finding out I'm going to be a grandma...I'm just giddy, happy, all smiles. And, hopefully that will show in my quilting as well.

Fraew: That is very beautiful. That will be a real conversation piece. I love how it circles
    Mary

Judith: Thoses are so cute and useful also. Really like it.
    Mary

Those are darling!!
    Bev

Quote Originally Posted by dublb View Post
    Wow you are fast! Two quilts quilted in one day! Awesome quilts!
    Thanks...I decided to just SITD on both of them...they are both lapquilts, so not bad to do. I use 4 oz. poly batting, so they don't need real close quilting...& they stay soft & cuddly. I like my quilts with not a great amount of close quilting so they stay softer...plus I do all this on my Janome 6600. Would love a longarm, but no room.

Sherry, I love your rag quilt...you're right, clipping at the end kills your hands. I made a queen size a few years ago & I remember that clipping!

Quote Originally Posted by VickiM View Post
    Thanks...I decided to just SITD on both of them...they are both lapquilts, so not bad to do. I use 4 oz. poly batting, so they don't need real close quilting...& they stay soft & cuddly. I like my quilts with not a great amount of close quilting so they stay softer...plus I do all this on my Janome 6600. Would love a longarm, but no room.
    I'd love a longarm also....maybe some day. You did good!
    Bev

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VickiM View Post
    Well, January came & went & I got no UFO's done...so I decided to jump right in & get things going this month. I have several quilt tops that just need quilting & binding. I have to be in the mood to do the quilting, so when I get into that mood, I lay sheets all over the room to get ready for the spray baste (it still gets everywhere) & it will stay like this for a week or two till I get the tops all ready for the quilting process. So yesterday I got 2 quilt tops ready & today I quilted & bound them. So January & February UFO's are taken care of! (Happy dance...) Actually, killed 3 birds with 1 stone on this one...the finished quilts for this challenge, a scrappy quilt for the scrappy challenge on the board, & the UFO challenge for the quilt guild I'm in. Anyway, here are the 2 totally finished quilts. I did the tops while visiting my daughter in N.C. for 3 weeks in May '11. I made about a half dozen tops during that time as I sew while she's at work. The scrappy one is the leader/ender scrap quilt (& stash). The daisy one was a spur of the moment buy...saw the blue, yellow, & pink daisy fabric (I think it was at her Hancocks fabrics), so found a couple other fabrics to go with it, shopped in her quiltbooks to find a pattern I liked (forget what it's called and by who), and made the top. Finishing, I shopped my stash. So, my UFO's will begin by getting all those finished.
    I like the fabrics in your quilts, especially that daisy one..
    You really got busy! Congrats on the finishes.

I have several tops done and, like you, I have to be in the mood for quilting. It's my least favorite part of the process and I have to push myself to do it.
    This thread on UFOs helps keep me motivated.
    ranger
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Life...you muddle your way through it and then you die!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherryquilts View Post
    I need to stop procrastinating and get a photo posted. I finished a quick purple flannel and recycled denim rag quilt that had been cut out for a couple of years. When I make rag quilts I like to clip the seams as I sew; it is way to hard on my hands to do it all at the end.
    Nice cozy quilt.
    Congrats on the finish.
    That's a good idea...to clip as you go.
    ranger
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Life...you muddle your way through it and then you die!

Page 22 of 67 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 32 ... LastLast