Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 67 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 58 ... LastLast

Thread: UFO Challenge of the Month 2012

Blog Entries
    I just found this thread, I hope it's not to late to join. I have about 28 projects ranging from small to double size quilts. Nothing older than 4 years old. (I haven't been quilting that long.) But, as you can see, I was a good starter, but not a great finisher. they are all in different stages of being finished. And I could definitely use the support to get these things done. And, I've also gone on a "fabic diet" to also motivate me to get things done and control needless spending. Of course, it's time better spent working on my projects at hand rather than planning to many projects ahead.

Oh, and I love Rainn's christmas stocking. It's adoable. And so is your grandson.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee

Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
    I just found this thread and read through it all. Over Christmas I told my DD that I wasn't starting any new quilts until I get some of my UFO's done. She peered over to her DH and said, "Did you get that on tape?" LOL With that in mind I about cutting the binding for a quilt that was started over 5 years ago, FMQ at the LQS last summer and finished yesterday. So am I in? you bet!
    I like your idea annesthreads on how to think about the UFO's.
    Sherry, what a beautiful sock for little Rainn. Were you stitching at the hospital while waiting to see him?
    Will take a pic of my quilt and post soon. Thanks for the inspiration to get them done!
    Thanks Oksewglad! We were lucky enough to spend all most all of the time we spent at the hospital with Rainn, so no sewing there...but I had gotten the stocking kit shortly after we found out they were pregnant and started working on it right away, but when things during pregnancy started to look less than good, I put it away for a while, I just couldn't bear to work on it; after he was born, I started again, but had to put it away for a while during August/September when things didn't look too promising. But then he really started to take off during October...and grandma needed to get busy since I had UFO'd it a couple of times! On December 10th, I was pretty sure that it was just going to be pieces and a promise on Christmas day.

I love the TicTacMo - I have some of those blocks made. I think I just may have to set them on point!
    Sherry

"Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be." Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Judith1005 View Post
    I just found this thread, I hope it's not to late to join. I have about 28 projects ranging from small to double size quilts. Nothing older than 4 years old. (I haven't been quilting that long.) But, as you can see, I was a good starter, but not a great finisher. they are all in different stages of being finished. And I could definitely use the support to get these things done. And, I've also gone on a "fabic diet" to also motivate me to get things done and control needless spending. Of course, it's time better spent working on my projects at hand rather than planning to many projects ahead.

Oh, and I love Rainn's christmas stocking. It's adoable. And so is your grandson.
    Thanks Judith! We think he's pretty adorable as well.
    I like to start things as well - do you like to try new techniques when you start something new? That is what I do...I think I like the process better than the product. I am trying to get myself to think that part of the process IS the product, and there is so much satisfaction when something is finished! Good luck!
    Sherry

"Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be." Abraham Lincoln

I work a lot like you. And I am a special ed school teacher so I am constantly working many more than 40 hours a week, and do books for my husband's trucking business. So sewing/quilting is my therapy. Im afraid that if I got too regimented I would not find sewing pleasant rather another thing I HAVE to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by annesthreads View Post
    This year I took part in a UFO challenge elsewhere that was very elaborately organised, and I don't think that actually helped me very much - it set me up to fail. I really like the easy-going approach here on the board. I've gathered up all my UFOs and put them in crates under my bed so that I'm not overwhelmed by the sight of them (about 17). Out of interest, I made a list of them just so I know what I've got. My method is going to be to pull one out at random and start working on it. If, as often happens, it comes to a temporary halt because I need fabric, batting or thread, I'll put it back until I can get to the quilt shop and pull another one out. I've decided not to try to do one a month, because if I fail early on, I'll get discouraged. I'm thinking that for me what might work best is simply to resolve to do some work on one of the UFOs every day that I can get to my sewing machine. That way I should at least make some progress and, who knows, may even finish some! And being able to come here and share how I'm doing will be a huge help.
    We all work differently - some people need to set themselves targets, some of us don't respond well to that approach. Some like to focus on one project, others like to have variety. This challenge is great, because we can all play to our own strengths and favourite working methods, and hopefully get some of those UFOs onto the finished list this next year!
    Happy New Year and Happy UFO Completion to all!

French seams are a piece of cake. put wrong sides of material together stitch a scant 1/4 to 3/8 inch seam then turn so right sides are together and stitch again making sure raw edges are encased in seam. I sometimes use a french seam technique then I want a good fringe by making my first seam deeper and leave a little of the raw edges outside of the second seam.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
    The more I try to get one odne, the behinder I get. Trying to do a heater core on truck so I DO NOT HAVE TO PAY THE $600 THEY WANT. Cant get dash past steering wheel so have to take that off. Was not looking forward to that. Have a plan though, go for it. After this I get to sew. Did Myster Quilt with About.COm and had to change out one of the borders. Wanted this to be for a swap but will have to see. I am using up one of my UFOs that I started a few years back so I am making one of the UFOs. Will post when done. I do mean done, will have quilted hopefully this week depending on how bad that child makes me work out. Yes, the diet is started along with the exercise routine. Love my daughter. She is keeping me to task and I need it. I have a ufo on the longarm now and I want to work on it tonight and I have another one in the process, all trimmed up and strips cut for the rails on the churn dash and ready to go. THen I do have my bag that needs to be done for daughter. I know why i did not finish it, how do you do french seams? That would make it look nice for finishing. Also, I have to find the wonderunder to make the pockets sturdier.

Blog Entries
    do u have a picture of it?
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyQuiltLady View Post
    French seams are a piece of cake. put wrong sides of material together stitch a scant 1/4 to 3/8 inch seam then turn so right sides are together and stitch again making sure raw edges are encased in seam. I sometimes use a french seam technique then I want a good fringe by making my first seam deeper and leave a little of the raw edges outside of the second seam.
    Live, Laugh & Love, for tomorrow may never come.
    Veronica

Well my first project for the new year is going to be the mystery Orca quilt. Sure isn't old (just started in Nov.) but I want to make sure it doesn't get shoved into the back of a closet never to be seen again. As soon as I have the top pieced I will post pictures.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info on French Seams. I did not get to store yesterday to get some so will do today hopefully after work depending on traffic. Did get all the blocks sewn for the churn dash and I like how they look. Why I did not finish it before? I guess it was all the extra trimming down of the blocks to make them 5". Got the binding on a table runner finally and finished the binding on a quilt that was a Funky Dog Swap block exchange. It is now hanging completed on my wall. Love it because I made a tribute block to my little poodle I lost nearly three years ago (still miss her much) and there she is to look at each time I go up and down the stairs. That makes this challenge even better. I did not think to take a photo and post it for you to see. I will get it done tonight and post tomorrow. I should have the table runner done as well today during my lunch. how nice to finish two projects even though the main ones I wanted to get done are still in the work.
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Blog Entries
    Working on my first UFO for 2012...Bird Haven by A Graceful Stitch was a 9 month BOM last year. I worked on it as a QAYG project and finally got the border on after Thanksgiving, I think. Have two more squares, the border and the binding...think I will get finished today or tomorrow. Already anxious to start on the next one.

Blog Entries
    Here is a finished ufo. My tablerunner that was put away and forgotten about. Name:  IMG_0970.JPG
Views: 262
Size:  167.9 KBName:  IMG_0971.JPG
Views: 268
Size:  312.3 KB

I love it! What a fun tablerunner.
    Join the JUNE Pincushion & Needlecase swap:http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...t-t247379.html

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries A. A. Milne

Blog Entries
    Made my own pattern on it. Got stuck for time on quilting and of course binding then got new longarm and wanted to try feathers. Worked.

Ok, now for a dilema. How about some suggestions for kinds of blocks to finish this medalion quilt for my daughter. I have fabric in the yellow, purple, and green shades. I need to make elongated with a little more on sides. need a block or do you think either of the ones posted will work? I thought maybe one of them would work for the top and then make a flower or star for sides? need some direction.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I really like the block on the right(the lighter green). I think it is beautiful and like the idea of the flowers on the side as well.
    Brooke

Made my own pattern on it. Got stuck for time on quilting and of course binding then got new longarm and wanted to try feathers. Worked.

Ok, now for a dilema. How about some suggestions for kinds of blocks to finish this medalion quilt for my daughter. I have fabric in the yellow, purple, and green shades. I need to make elongated with a little more on sides. need a block or do you think either of the ones posted will work? I thought maybe one of them would work for the top and then make a flower or star for sides? need some direction.
    When I first looked at it I thought a round of flower appliques would be perfect for the next thing. I like both of the blocks so that would be a really tough choice and I might figure out a way to use both.

Quote Originally Posted by Short an Sweet View Post
    do u have a picture of it?
    I'm sorry I don't. I promise it isn't difficult. If I get a chance this weekend I make a sample showing steps and post it for you. My hubby I think you all put DD for husband, not sure what all the abbreviations mean yet, just informed me he has kindly planned my weekend. Grrrrr. I never seem to get one to myself to sew. Either he plans my time or the kids come home. I'm ready to move and not leave a forwarding address. Lol think it would work?

Ohh beautiful! I have to admit I'm jealous you're getting do much done but dollop happy for you! I really like the one on the right side. The dark green is rich and luxurious but I have always been drawn to the darker richer colors.

Blog Entries

Very Pretty!!

beautiful feathers! I love your fall fabric choices!!
    Here is a finished ufo. My tablerunner that was put away and forgotten about. Name:  IMG_0970.JPG
Views: 262
Size:  167.9 KBName:  IMG_0971.JPG
Views: 268
Size:  312.3 KB

Blog Entries
    I'm torn quiltermomma, I love both blocks. Initially I thought the light green on the left. But, I keep coming back to look at the blocks and now I think the dkr green blocks on the right would be a beautiful finish. I hope you choose soon. I can't wait to see what you pick. It's a beautiful design.

Blog Entries
    crazyquiltlady, here is a link to all the acronyms. Hope this helps

.http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...rs-t84708.html

DD= Dear Daughter
    DH= Dear Husband

And that link has tons of abbreviations on it.
    I'm sorry I don't. I promise it isn't difficult. If I get a chance this weekend I make a sample showing steps and post it for you. My hubby I think you all put DD for husband, not sure what all the abbreviations mean yet, just informed me he has kindly planned my weekend. Grrrrr. I never seem to get one to myself to sew. Either he plans my time or the kids come home. I'm ready to move and not leave a forwarding address. Lol think it would work?

how about the lighter green block in the exact corner and one of the darker block on each side of it,,,,,,,(around the corners) and then applique sides and top? Beautiful quilt!!!

If they are like my family, they would hunt you down like a dog and bring you home again. Isn't being wanted and needed wonderful? yeah right.....

Blog Entries
    it was just too funny - i clicked on this link and the picture of your grandson came up. My first thought - "I sure can't do that for a challange".
    Sally Dolin
    Rock Island, IL

Blog Entries
    Please count me in also!

First Jan 2012 finished. Baby Steeler quilt.

Blog Entries
    Yay DebraK! Congrats.
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

Page 8 of 67 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 58 ... LastLast