Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Air fryer advice >

Air fryer advice

Air fryer advice

Old 07-02-2020, 12:17 PM

You all are being so helpful! I have another question please. Although a small one would be sufficient most of the time, I would like a larger capacity on occasion. My question is whether cooking small amounts in a large fryer still gets good results. What has been your experience?
Old 07-02-2020, 12:27 PM

Yes, the more room between items, the faster and crisper mine cooks. I also love it because it doesn't heat up the kitchen in the summer like turning on the oven heats.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:40 PM

I have a friend who just loves her air fryer. She has a rare medical condition and her medications give her a very restricted diet. One of her few joys of allowed foods was french fries, but when she had her gall bladder taken out, she just couldn't tolerate any fat at all. Tada, enter air fryer. As she says, iced tea and french fries may not sound like a banquet, but even less so without the fries.

She has a large family sized unit but is very happy when she makes a single serving. Well... maybe on my low carb diet more than a single serving, but less than a party of five!
Old 07-02-2020, 03:41 PM
Power Poster

I got mine from Walmart. It cooks good but convenient to get out and use often. I need to strive to use it more often. It is a Farbarware. Easy to clean and cheaper than most. My Grandson uses theirs real often for french fries, toasted ravioli and tatar tots and pizza rolls. He is tall and 18.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by SunQuilts View Post
I am considering the purchase of an air fryer. If you own one, will you share your thoughts? Brand, ease of use (and cleaning!), cooking results, etc. Best size for two adults. TIA
I have had a Cosori Air Fryer for quite a few months now. I love it. I thought I would never want an air fryer but decided to try one after following Brandi of staysnatched.com. I have the 5.6 size. I would not want one any smaller and it is just the two of us. I have done Cornish hens, a small baking chicken, and use it especially because I like roasted vegetables. I would not want to give it up now. So easy to use and to clean.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:33 PM

I have the NuWave oven which is probably the original air-fryer and I love it! I want it to die so I can get a new multipurpose air fryer but while this works I will still use it. (The NuWave will cook meat from frozen which I am not sure the new ones do.) But 2 words of advice - get the largest one you can afford because you can cook a little in a large one but you can't cook an lot in a small one. And buy the Evo sprayer - you can spritz on 1/4 teaspoon of oil on certain foods and you would swear they were deep fried.
I like to cook fish in it because it does not make the house smell. I can cook my french fries with the fish or other food. And I recently learned the joy of french bread pizza in the oven and it is done in 9 minutes. A friend asked me if I ever reheated pizza in it and = it worked great for that too. (No mushy crust.) She has one too. The negative is the size - but they came out with another one that cooks in 2 directions.
Old 07-03-2020, 02:08 AM
Evy

I bought a "cheapie" at the Dollar Store just to see if I liked it. Figured if I did I would get a better one. This little 30 dollar one works well enough I haven't even bothered to replace it. Mine is small, just me using it, and it's perfect and so easy to clean.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

The food in the basket can be layered. Just stop half way and turn over as suggested for all meats. I can cook one or six pork chops in my Faberware. I experiment all the time with different foods cooked it it. I use an instant meat thermometer for all meats. I was thinking of trying peach halves and pineapple slices next. I loved roasted fruit. I may get a larger one but it really comes to counter top space and how it looks sitting out all the time it being bigger.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:38 AM

Well, thanks to all of the great comments I decided to order an air fryer I looked at every brand mentioned, as well as some that I found online, and chose a Corsori. Several reasons why: good reviews, warranty longer than many fryers, price, and (really good to hear) the customer service dept was described as very responsive and helpful. I ordered the large one and I am looking forward to learning how to use it. Thanks again. Now, favorite recipe recommendations?

Old 07-04-2020, 04:05 AM

I probably cook fish the most in mine. I'm on Weight Watchers. So simple, I put the fish on parchment paper and cut around about 1/2 an inch all around. I cook 3 at a time on racks. I sprinkle Paul Prudhomme's Seafood Magic on them, press the fish button and voila. Great fish. DS has cooked homemade potato chips, uses the mandolin. He brushes on olive oil, adds seasoning and cooks till crispy.