Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
All Those Vegan Burgers Out There! >

All Those Vegan Burgers Out There!

All Those Vegan Burgers Out There!

Old 06-05-2019, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
I'm sorry about your IBS diagnosis. My DIL was just diagnosed with Crohn's disease and I'm at a loss as what to feed here when she comes up for a visit next week. She has to be on a very bland diet with no fats, no dairy, very little meat, no whole grains...no fresh veggies, or fruits either. I think that I'll make a new post for that subject. Maybe someone else has an input.

~ C
The best ...... tell her that you are at a loss, and ask her to help you.
That will show her that you truly care and are there to support her,
rather than risk making choices that are totally wrong!

Good Luck!
Old 06-05-2019, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
If you choose to eat meatless then why choose foods that look like and mimic meat? I find that rather odd.
Are you aware of why vegans choose to eat meatless? Many vegans were not always vegans. They may like the taste of meat. I’m curious why it matters to non vegans what they eat and what they call it. As long as no one is proselytizing to the carnivores who cares what vegans eat and call it?

I’m not a vegan but I am choosing to eat less meat and more vegetables. I do not eat red meat anymore but I remember how good it tasted. I used to enjoy a good hamburger. With recipes like tropit’s I still can without clogging my ateries with red meat.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
I just realized that the seitan burger recipe that I use is probably online, so here it is:

http://www.isachandra.com/2014/02/ch...stylee-seitan/

-I use garlic powder instead of onion powder because I LIKE garlic.
-I prefer not to use that much soy sauce, so I add a little more veggie broth and salt. (It needs to be salty because a lot of salt leaches out when cooking.)
-A 1/2 cup of cooked, peal barley really adds some nice texture to it, as does the garbanzo beans. You can also try adding some minced carrots and celery.
- Have fun with the herbs that you add. I like lots of herbs for flavor.
- I do NOT boil my patties. I shape them, then wrap them in parchment paper and then put them in a steamer to cook until firm. Make the patties very thin because they like to puff up and get too thick when you cook them. If they're too thick, then just slice them in half.
- If your patties come out too rubbery, try adding more garbanzos and other veggies to break up the gluten bonds.
- Cook them in a little bit of olive oil so that they brown nicely.

While I don't like to trick anyone into eating vegan foods, I did forget to tell my kids that these were non-meat patties once and served them up. I don't think that anyone even knew.

~ C

PS: The author of this recipe, Isa Chandra Moskowitz is a well loved, vegan, cookbook writer...I'd say that some would consider her the, "God Mudda of Vegan Cooking."
thank you for this, tropit and for your tips for cooking these. We’ve been eating the Beyond Meat burgers, but they’re pricey so I appreciate you’re sharing this.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:07 PM

JanieW...I agree, the Beyond Meat burger patties are really good, but wow...so expensive! I got some on sale and I was ok with that until I realized that there were only 2 patties in the package.

This recipe is not like the Beyond Meat product. The Beyond Meat patty is kind of loose in texture and pink inside. This recipe is for burgers that are firmer, thinner and have a little chew to them. You may not like it as it is.

The good news is that it's easy to modify this recipe to make it your own. If you like a softer patty, try adding more garbanzo bean flour, or additional veggies, or legumes. Also cook it through, but don't over cook it. That's why I like to steam them instead. Sorry, I don't have info on how long to cook them, but I do unwrap one once in awhile, while they are steaming, to see what the texture is like. If it's still gooey inside, then it goes back into the steamer. After they're done, I keep them wrapped in the parchment paper and put them all in a plastic bag, then in the freezer.

Use whatever spices you like. I love putting a splash of liquid smoke on the patties when they're done. Smoked paprika is also good to put in when you are mixing things up. I haven't tried corn kernels, or rice, but those might be yummy.

Also be aware that vital wheat gluten sticks to everything! If anyone tires this recipe and has questions, I'm happy to help.

~ C
Old 06-14-2019, 02:22 AM

I like the black bean "burgers" too, and think they are by Morningside Farms. While I am not a vegetarian or vegan, I have had great luck losing weight by eating a vegetarian diet. Other diets like Atkins or South Beach get too monotonous for me because I like to cook. Going vegetarian satisfies my interest in cooking new things. Right now, I do eat meat including hamburgers, but I like the taste of the "burgers" that don't taste like meat so eat them too. One thing I don't like = tofupups!