Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
All Those Vegan Burgers Out There! >

All Those Vegan Burgers Out There!

All Those Vegan Burgers Out There!

Old 06-01-2019, 01:43 PM

Beef, Elk or Buffalo. No fake stuff and I eat my veggie's separately.
Old 06-01-2019, 02:49 PM
Power Poster

Chiming back in. I was listening to the radio in the car and they read off the ingredients in the new McDonald? Meat free patty. Boy that was a long list of chemical sounding names. When I go to McDonalds I get a happy meal.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:16 AM

Oh gosh...I'm so sorry...I forgot to post my recipe for homemade vegan burger patties. I'll try again this week. But for now...Here's a rundown on ingredients:

Vital Wheat Gluten
Garbanzo bean flour
Garbanzo Beans, crumbled in food processor
Cooked Pearl Barley
minced onions
garlic powder
cumin
smoked paprika
salt
pepper
vegetable broth

Everything is mixed together, divided and made into thin patties. The patties are then wrapped in parchment paper and steamed in a steamer until they are solid. They tend to shrink up back into a ball when they're steaming, so after they're done, I'll sometimes cut them in half. They can be stored in the fridge, or freezer.

I'll post more details and quantities of ingredients this week. I have to get out my recipe and transcribe it.

~ C
Old 06-04-2019, 11:43 AM

I just realized that the seitan burger recipe that I use is probably online, so here it is:

http://www.isachandra.com/2014/02/ch...stylee-seitan/

-I use garlic powder instead of onion powder because I LIKE garlic.
-I prefer not to use that much soy sauce, so I add a little more veggie broth and salt. (It needs to be salty because a lot of salt leaches out when cooking.)
-A 1/2 cup of cooked, peal barley really adds some nice texture to it, as does the garbanzo beans. You can also try adding some minced carrots and celery.
- Have fun with the herbs that you add. I like lots of herbs for flavor.
- I do NOT boil my patties. I shape them, then wrap them in parchment paper and then put them in a steamer to cook until firm. Make the patties very thin because they like to puff up and get too thick when you cook them. If they're too thick, then just slice them in half.
- If your patties come out too rubbery, try adding more garbanzos and other veggies to break up the gluten bonds.
- Cook them in a little bit of olive oil so that they brown nicely.

While I don't like to trick anyone into eating vegan foods, I did forget to tell my kids that these were non-meat patties once and served them up. I don't think that anyone even knew.

~ C

PS: The author of this recipe, Isa Chandra Moskowitz is a well loved, vegan, cookbook writer...I'd say that some would consider her the, "God Mudda of Vegan Cooking."

Last edited by tropit; 06-04-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

If you choose to eat meatless then why choose foods that look like and mimic meat? I find that rather odd.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:15 PM

Right on there. Tried one but my mind said No Way.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:22 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
If you choose to eat meatless then why choose foods that look like and mimic meat? I find that rather odd.
Isn't that just the question?

............... and to call the foods meat? or meat names, like burgers,
even though they are not meat!
Old 06-04-2019, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
I just realized that the seitan burger recipe that I use is probably online, so here it is:

http://www.isachandra.com/2014/02/ch...stylee-seitan/

-I use garlic powder instead of onion powder because I LIKE garlic.
-I prefer not to use that much soy sauce, so I add a little more veggie broth and salt. (It needs to be salty because a lot of salt leaches out when cooking.)
-A 1/2 cup of cooked, peal barley really adds some nice texture to it, as does the garbanzo beans. You can also try adding some minced carrots and celery.
- Have fun with the herbs that you add. I like lots of herbs for flavor.
- I do NOT boil my patties. I shape them, then wrap them in parchment paper and then put them in a steamer to cook until firm. Make the patties very thin because they like to puff up and get too thick when you cook them. If they're too thick, then just slice them in half.
- If your patties come out too rubbery, try adding more garbanzos and other veggies to break up the gluten bonds.
- Cook them in a little bit of olive oil so that they brown nicely.

While I don't like to trick anyone into eating vegan foods, I did forget to tell my kids that these were non-meat patties once and served them up. I don't think that anyone even knew.

~ C

PS: The author of this recipe, Isa Chandra Moskowitz is a well loved, vegan, cookbook writer...I'd say that some would consider her the, "God Mudda of Vegan Cooking."

Thanks so much for this. I like your enthusiasm for eating clean. Been a vegan since before it was a word. Will try your burger recipe too. Thanks so much. I'm always looking to try different stuff.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:24 PM

Thank you so much for this recipe. I have also gone plant base. I used to have to look for a bathroom as soon as I entered anywhere because I could not trust myself. I was diagnosed with IBS - which I really think is a label when they can't help you. On the news tonight the government is now saying white meat is just as bad as red meat. However, they may change that again next week LOL. I do admit that I have probably run into more bad recipes than good ones. That can be discouraging as they really do take a lot longer. I always go plant base unless this is not a choice - then do my best as to not make others uncomfortable. I love Morning Star and will look in our grocery stores for Beyond Meat. I have not liked any brats - so anxious to try these.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
Thank you so much for this recipe. I have also gone plant base. I used to have to look for a bathroom as soon as I entered anywhere because I could not trust myself. I was diagnosed with IBS - which I really think is a label when they can't help you. On the news tonight the government is now saying white meat is just as bad as red meat. However, they may change that again next week LOL. I do admit that I have probably run into more bad recipes than good ones. That can be discouraging as they really do take a lot longer. I always go plant base unless this is not a choice - then do my best as to not make others uncomfortable. I love Morning Star and will look in our grocery stores for Beyond Meat. I have not liked any brats - so anxious to try these.
I'm sorry about your IBS diagnosis. My DIL was just diagnosed with Crohn's disease and I'm at a loss as what to feed here when she comes up for a visit next week. She has to be on a very bland diet with no fats, no dairy, very little meat, no whole grains...no fresh veggies, or fruits either. I think that I'll make a new post for that subject. Maybe someone else has an input.

~ C