Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Another Holiday is almost here what are you having for dinner. >

Another Holiday is almost here what are you having for dinner.

Another Holiday is almost here what are you having for dinner.

Old 12-13-2014, 04:16 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by sailsablazin View Post
Since our older kids live out of the state, it is just the college kids and DH here---not as crazy as usual---and we miss it!
We will have glazed ham, cheesy potatoes, green bean casserole, rolls, sweet potatoes, TONS of Christmas cookies for dessert. (maybe a cheesecake since I found a super recipe). Since I am still recovering from Achilles surgery, this must all be done on a scooter and will the kids helping.
Christmas eve has always been potato skins and shrimp cocktail...
Man, Marcia,
I'm coming to your house this year...all my favorite edibles and gimpy like you! I realize how much worse my back is now that I sat all those weeks, so not doing too much standing or walking far now. I'm so glad you'll have the kiddos home with you. Was the baking the cookies you mentioned here? Tell us what kinds!

Hugs,
Jan in VA
Old 12-13-2014, 05:14 PM

My two sons and their families are going to the in laws this year at noon so will come here in p.m. with who knows what for food. My career woman daughter and I decided we would have brunch at midmorning and do cheese and fruit plus whatever else we think of...
We have been going to eldest son's house for noon but I am open to change. I know I cannot do the big meal anymore.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:08 PM

Enchiladas, tamales and all the fixings (and I'm not even Mexican, but love Mexican food). Had turkey, dressing and fixings Thanksgiving so kind of easier for Christmas day. Made fudge today and maybe divinity in the next few days. Love divinity; hope I don't eat it all before Christmas.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by sash View Post
Enchiladas, tamales and all the fixings (and I'm not even Mexican, but love Mexican food). Had turkey, dressing and fixings Thanksgiving so kind of easier for Christmas day. Made fudge today and maybe divinity in the next few days. Love divinity; hope I don't eat it all before Christmas.
I would love to be there for the Mexican food...My Favorite! ( I'm not Mexican either, but could eat it almost every meal!)
Old 12-21-2014, 11:28 PM

We had a really big meal Thanksgiving, with all usual trimmings. I decided to change gears for Christmas. I will bake spiral-cut glazed ham, trying my DM's pork dressing, candied sweet potatoes, buttered potatoes, steamed corn, cranberry salsa, broccoli-cheese, rolls, jalapeno cornbread, deviled eggs. Have all kinds of cookies, pound cake, pecan pie, zucchini loaf, banana nut bread, fresh apple cake. That's all I can think of right now....but a lot of the desert goodies, I have made in small loaves for gift baskets...along with spicy crackers, peanut brittle, cheese logs and fudge.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:08 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by nanacc View Post
I would love to be there for the Mexican food...My Favorite! ( I'm not Mexican either, but could eat it almost every meal!)
I love Mexican, too! I'm convinced cilantro and cumin have addictive properties....my story and I'm sticking to it.
Jan in VA
Old 12-23-2014, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by rjwilder View Post
I guess we're backwards, we had lasagna, salad and garlic bread for Thanksgiving. So we're having turkey and all the trimmings for Christmas. Oh and the pies, I love pie, forget the turkey just give me the pie!
My theory is dessert should precede dinner, not follow it......but nobody listens......
Old 12-23-2014, 07:38 AM

Christmas Eve night is mine. I am serving Fillet, asparagus, butter lettuce with mandarin orange salad, mashed potatoes (my grandson's favorite). For after dinner there will be ginger snaps and lemon curd. Christmas day is at my sons and daughter-in-laws house. It will be eggs benedict for breakfast and then snacks all day...just a fun and relaxing day....so much easier than in years gone by.