Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Another Holiday is almost here what are you having for dinner. >

Another Holiday is almost here what are you having for dinner.

Another Holiday is almost here what are you having for dinner.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by juneayerza View Post
Neesie, can you explain what finjuna is? I couldn't find it on Google.
Finjuna is kinda like the Italian granddaddy of pizza but without the cheese. My FIL's family was from Sicily and his mother and sister would fix finjuna, each New Year's Eve. It has a thick crust (think thick crust pizza) and that is covered with a thick, red sauce, which is then baked until it's almost dry. Some folks put anchovies on top (we don't).
Old 12-10-2014, 08:00 PM

Our family will be at our oldest daughter's home. She should be recovering from a knee joint replacement done Dec 19th,so we'll need to respect that. Everyone voted for Costco lasagna,a bag of salad...I'll try to get some cookies made with the DGKids that day. Since I'm not having it at my house, i' ll just go along with the vote. I think that's what happens when the kids take over..
Old 12-10-2014, 09:53 PM

Thanks Neesie - Inquiring minds want to know
Old 12-11-2014, 04:10 AM

Several years ago I decided to simplify Christmas and I have done different things. One year brunch, one soups, one finger foods, one shrimp boil. My family still expects me to plan and have the day at our house. I enjoy doing it but wonder what will happen will I can't.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:37 AM

We had a huge Thanksgiving, so our Christmas will be more snacky type foods. Little rye bread pizzas, Pioneer Woman meatballs, cheeseball, Knorr veggie-spinach dip with veggies, plus a variety of cookies and candies.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:39 AM

Wanted to share our favorite Cheese ball recipe. Quick, easy and we all love it. 3 - 8 oz. pkgs cream cheese, softened; 1-2 packages(or jars) dried beef, cut in tiny pieces; 1 T. Accent, 1 T. Worcestershire, 1 bunch green onions chopped.
Mix cream cheese with dried beef, Accent, Worcestershire then stir in onions. I roll in chopped pecans before serving.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:42 AM

We will be in Arvada CO. We plan to have a boneless rib roast, red potatoes, green beans (mine will have slightly toasted almonds), peas with onions if we can find them. That's all.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:44 AM

Oh I forgot. For dessert we will have a rolled chocolate cake withe whip cream filling.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:46 AM

Our Christmas eve gathering is always vegan. I'll be making 2 vegan soups (Minestrone and potato) with home made bread. Hummus, veggies and pita chips for snacking. It is always a challenge to cook vegan. Christmas Day it will be pork loin or ham. For the big family gathering at son's house, it will be pulled pork sandwiches and munchies.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:46 AM

DD is coming over on Christmas day and we always have a good time. We are making rock cornish hens with orange glaze, traditional bread stuffing (my Mom's recipe), roasted white potatoes, roasted sweet potatoes, roasted carrots, roasted onions, cranberry conserve, and green bean casserole, with wine to drink. For dessert we will have lemon bars with coffee and brandy. I can't wait.