Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Anyone have any good Vegan recipes--main dish etc.?? >

Anyone have any good Vegan recipes--main dish etc.??

Anyone have any good Vegan recipes--main dish etc.??

Old 02-26-2014, 06:33 PM

Garbanzo Stew

6 tablespoons Olive Oil
3 medium-sized Onions, chopped
2 Bell Peppers, chopped (not finely)
8 large Garlic Cloves, minced
2 cans Garbanzo Beans, including liquid in can
1 can Stewed Tomatoes, diced
6 medium-sized Carrots, skinned and sliced
7-8 Potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 tablespoon Salt
1 tablespoon freshly ground Black Pepper
1 tablespoon Flour

- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat
- Add onions, brown very well, stirring regularly
- Add peppers and garlic cloves, sauté for two minutes
- Add garbanzo beans and three cans of water
- Add stewed tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, salt and pepper
- Cover and simmer for 35 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes
- Add just enough water to flour to liquefy and stir into stew
- Cover and simmer for five minutes over low heat

Serves - 8
Old 02-26-2014, 06:34 PM

Green Bean Stir-Fry

1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
1 teaspoon Sesame Seeds, toasted
1 teaspoon Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon Peanut Butter
¾ pound fresh Green Beans, trimmed
4-½ teaspoons Olive Oil

In a bowl, combine the soy sauce, garlic, sesame seeds, brown sugar and peanut butter, set aside. In a large skillet, stir-fry the green beans in oil until crisp-tender. Remove from the heat. Add the sauce mixture, stir to coat. Yield: 2 servings
Old 02-26-2014, 06:34 PM

Thanks, Jenn! I have a bag of red quinoa I've had for months and haven't tried....will now! Also the Lentil salad, got some green lentils yesterday, and needed a salad dressing! Keep those recipes coming!!
Old 02-26-2014, 06:36 PM

I'm not a vegan, but I have a friend who is. Above are some recipes that I have prepared for him that I like too. I didn't include the dessert recipes since you are trying to lose weight.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by donna13350 View Post
My best "go to" vegan meal is spaghetti squash...you can bulk it up with mushrooms, olives, tomatoes...anything you're in the mood for.
You do really have to learn a lot before just diving into vegetarianism...you will need B vitamins for sure, as they are very hard to get in sufficient quantities without red meat...
I wanted to get a spaghetti squash yesterday but they didn't have any....will get later. I've been taking B vitamins and B12 for a long time so should be ok there. There's a Whole Foods store here and they have classes which I may try when the weather gets a bit better. Their deli section is to die for and a good place to try new dishes. Thanks for the suggestion and feel free to send more along!
Old 02-26-2014, 06:44 PM

I have a Whole Foods cookbook that I hadn't used for years so got it out and will try a favorite recipe from it, called Kitchree....a lentils and rice dish that, eaten with good yogurt is, they said, a complete protein.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:30 AM

I am vegan, for the last 2 years, after being a vegetarian for about 35 years. I do take a B complex daily, high in B-12 because you can only get that in red meat. I am healthy, as a matter of fact, at now 64 grand years, my eye doctor told me to keep up my lifestyle, I am mono-vision 20-20 and he can see via my eyes I am super healthy. Vegan isn't difficult, when I feel I need protein I add legumes to my meals. I eat a variety of nuts, avoid grains because they contribute to inflammation, and snack on fruits and veggies. I have a ton of energy because animal products slow your digestion. Once you transition you will find you feel so much better. I am an animal fanatic, I don't put down meat eaters or hunters, but for the life of me I can't understand how someone can look at the innocence or beauty of an animal and then willfully hurt one, but that's me. Good luck, enjoy your transition as an adventure and investment in your future.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:20 AM

Thanks for the recipes.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Retired Fire Chief View Post
I am vegan, for the last 2 years, after being a vegetarian for about 35 years. I do take a B complex daily, high in B-12 because you can only get that in red meat. I am healthy, as a matter of fact, at now 64 grand years, my eye doctor told me to keep up my lifestyle, I am mono-vision 20-20 and he can see via my eyes I am super healthy. Vegan isn't difficult, when I feel I need protein I add legumes to my meals. I eat a variety of nuts, avoid grains because they contribute to inflammation, and snack on fruits and veggies. I have a ton of energy because animal products slow your digestion. Once you transition you will find you feel so much better. I am an animal fanatic, I don't put down meat eaters or hunters, but for the life of me I can't understand how someone can look at the innocence or beauty of an animal and then willfully hurt one, but that's me. Good luck, enjoy your transition as an adventure and investment in your future.
I have been vegetarian for 43 years and I am seriously looking into becoming vegan now too.I have health issues but not are from not eating meat.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:57 PM
Power Poster

Living to an old age and never eating fish,shrimp,chicken,beef and especially eggs, bacon and sausage would not be living in my opinion. When you recover from surgery protein should be eaten to promote healing. To each his own.