Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Anyone have an Instapot? Do you like it? >

Anyone have an Instapot? Do you like it?

Anyone have an Instapot? Do you like it?

Old 07-03-2017, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
The prime day is July 11, right? I am curious to see how that works...relatively new to Amazon shopping....

buying one for dd will not teach her to cook, just how to read a recipe for a quick meal...but that's a start and better than ordering out!
Actually, it starts late on July 10th here in the U.S. I think it's 10:00pm Eastern time, but Google to check. It goes on for 30 hours. Although I've been a Prime member for years, I never paid attention to Prime Day until now. As far as I can tell from Googling, you just have to check their website regularly to click on "lightning deals" and other deals. They offer something new on sale every 5 minutes. I am putting things I am interested in into my cart, hoping they might email me when it goes on sale (or maybe the sale price will appear in the cart if I check it). I don't want to get caught up in buying stuff I didn't know I needed until it went on sale.

You're right about the daughter cooking. What I'm thinking is that I could make a meal in my Instant Pot, place a freezer bag inside a similarly shaped container and freeze the meal in that, then she could place the freezer bag in warm water until she can slide the meal into her Instant Pot and thaw it and warm it up there. At least she would get a couple of good dinners a week at home that way. It's going to take some time for her to learn how to cook. Starting with how to chop an onion. My lovely dd is a wonderful person who is doing well at her first job, but learning how to cook had to take a back seat growing up because she needed so much extra time for school work (learning disabilities).
Old 07-04-2017, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
Ditto!!!! We got one for Christmas as we loved our stove top pressure cooker. So, this one came with no instructions and way to many buttons and timers and everything that we don't have a clue how to use. First time we tried it, we just kept pushing buttons and mysteriously got it to work. Then, tried it three more times, took the food out and prepared it the normal way.
This is pretty much my experience.Was excited to get the Instant Pot...... & very surprised at having to learn on my own. The "Manual"is a joke.So many things you try are "never again"to me.

On the other hand,if you want to buy one,use your own judgement.Hope it works for you.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:03 AM

Yes, I agree their manual is a joke, but I do love my instapot and so do 2 family members who have them. They cook up lots on the weekend and have food for all week when they get home from work, thanks to the instapot. We all know eating out is expensive and in many ways, bad for us. GS cooks and takes leftovers to work. In the beginning, coworkers asked where he got that because it looks and smells wonderful. I can't stress this enough- look at the savings when you cook at home.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

There is so much on google that it almost makes the manual obsolete. I love my two instant pots. We are eating in more. Less processed foods. Once you make one or two things in it it becomes easier. Kind of like threading a new sewing machine!
Old 07-04-2017, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
There is so much on google that it almost makes the manual obsolete. I love my two instant pots. We are eating in more. Less processed foods. Once you make one or two things in it it becomes easier. Kind of like threading a new sewing machine!
And again, the online communities on FB and other sites are a treasure trove of helpful tips, information and recipes that have been tried and fine-tuned.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:41 PM

FYI - The Instant Pot 6 Quart Duo (the one WITH the yogurt function) is on sale on Amazon right now ... $20 off with free 2-day Prime shipping! I don't know when the sale ends. It doesn't say. But if you've been thinking about getting one, this is an awesome deal.

Edit: Here's a link. Hope it's okay to post. It's not an affiliate link. Just a regular link.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLYWNYQ
Old 07-07-2017, 07:01 PM
Power Poster

Thanks so much, moonrise! I went and ordered 2 -- one for me and one for my daughter.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Thanks so much, moonrise! I went and ordered 2 -- one for me and one for my daughter.
Awesome! I paid full price for mine back in October, and love it so much that I don't even mind that I didn't save the $20! LOL!
Old 07-07-2017, 08:28 PM

I've made beef and broccoli, lamb tagine, refried beans, bone broth, hard boiled eggs (I have my no-fail-on-the-stove method, but can honestly say I was impressed), yogurt, and even corn on the cob (I usually grill that, but I like that I didn't have to keep an eye on it, just set it, listen for the beep from the living room, and set a timer on my phone for it to naturally release).

I'll try more things, but those were all quick and easy.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:38 PM

I ordered my InstaPot one morning directly from Target (just regular shipping) and it was delivered to my door the very next day by Noon !! All the stars must've been lined up right for that to happen! I was stunned.