Bacon

Old 12-24-2023, 08:05 AM

When I get a pound of Bacon, I cut it in half, then half the halfs and freeze three of them in separate packages. I cook the 4th one in my microwave on my bacon cooker. This is about 3.5 strips. That is enough for me for 1-2 meals.
Old 12-24-2023, 09:08 AM

I do like bacon, but don't like the lingering smell in the house. When the weather is good, DH will cook it outside on the grill. If I do it inside, I do it in the oven.

When i say I like bacon, I like it by itself. With eggs or pancakes, for example, or - when garden ripe tomatoes are available, in a BLT. On burgers, or in casseroles, that's a hard no for me!
Old 12-24-2023, 03:40 PM

We love bacon and have some in the fridge all the time. It's a staple. It's very versatile - we eat it for breakfast (healthier than cereal), at lunch time on sandwiches, on salads for dinner. Wrap it around asparagus, meatloaf, jalapenos.... bacon makes everything better.

My husband makes his own. It is SO much better than commercial bacon!
Old 12-24-2023, 03:44 PM

This yummy jam followed me home from a craft fair.
Attached Thumbnails img_2173.jpeg  
Old 12-24-2023, 04:07 PM
Power Poster

The packages of bacon, even name brands, are not what they used to be. The packages are smaller and they don’t seem to smoking and aging it so it has little flavour. I buy a thick sliced specialty bacon because bacon should taste like bacon.🥓
Old 12-25-2023, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
We love bacon and have some in the fridge all the time. It's a staple. It's very versatile - we eat it for breakfast (healthier than cereal), at lunch time on sandwiches, on salads for dinner. Wrap it around asparagus, meatloaf, jalapenos.... bacon makes everything better.

My husband makes his own. It is SO much better than commercial bacon!
I totally agree. Bacon makes everything better!!

Lucky you with a husband who makes his own bacon. Yum!
Old 01-11-2024, 04:16 AM

Bacon pizza is heaven on earth…for me. Those big "take and bake" fresh pizzas at Walmart. We love them! I think I could eat a lb. of crisp bacon just wrapped in sliced bread. Bacon is my fave pc of pork, maybe of all meats.
Old 01-14-2024, 08:07 AM

Sometimes I will make a vegan bacon. I know...sounds yucky, but some of the recipes are pretty good. Most importantly for me, they are far less fatty. Some recipes call for using portabella, or shitake mushrooms as the main ingredient, others call for eggplant strips, tofu, carrots, jackfruit and tempeh. I've even seen a recipe that uses rice paper, but that didn't sound too appetizing. I don't really think of them as "vegan" but just smoked and glazed veggies and a nice change-out for bacon.
Old 01-14-2024, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

I took a big platter of fried bacon to a potluck Christmas event. Every piece was gone in minutes. I save bacon grease for seasoning beans, greens, and brown gravy.
Old 01-14-2024, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I took a big platter of fried bacon to a potluck Christmas event. Every piece was gone in minutes. I save bacon grease for seasoning beans, greens, and brown gravy.
Lol that is freaking brilliant!!
Next potluck I'm invited to, I will do this, although I think I'll try the recipe where you spread sriracha sauce on top of the bacon strips, then sprinkle brown sugar on top and bake in the oven. Sounds delicious.