Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Banana Nut Bread >

Banana Nut Bread

Banana Nut Bread

Old 11-16-2015, 05:59 AM

I can't drink buttermilk unless I add a little sugar, but it is great for baking. I use it to thaw out chicken, it makes the chicken more tender and moist. Buttermilk helps the coating stick for frying chicken or making Southern chicken fried steak. We love buttermilk pie and I have a super simple delicious buttermilk chicken recipe that doesn't taste like buttermilk.
I cook for the youth at church twice a month and the teenagers ask for the buttermilk chicken. Maybe the rest of the food I make is so bad the buttermilk chicken is the best alternative! LOL!
Old 11-16-2015, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by lwbuchholz View Post
I don't always have buttermilk either and read somewhere that you can use milk with a tablespoon vinegar to replace it. It works! I did find powered buttermilk too.
Lynda
You're right, Lynda!
Old 11-16-2015, 06:36 AM

Thanks for sharing. Would love a piece of that. I have also froze buttermilk to use later.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:13 AM

For any recipe that calls for buttermilk, I use regular milk and add lemon juice and it seems to work. You could use vinegar I suppose, but I prefer lemon (real or in a bottle).
Old 11-16-2015, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the recipe. I,m going to try it.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:22 PM

I use the powdered buttermilk, learned about this on the cooking show with Alton Brown. I keep in the fridge in it's original container and then in a Ziploc baggie.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by lwbuchholz View Post
I don't always have buttermilk either and read somewhere that you can use milk with a tablespoon vinegar to replace it. It works! I did find powered buttermilk too.
Lynda
A tablespoon of lemon juice also works. I add it to a cup of milk, in our case 1%, when I make biscuits.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Buttermilk! I pass on any recipe that calls for it.....don't like it, so I would have to buy a qt. Just to use a bit, then throw rest away! I understand there is a way to use reg. milk by adding, I think vinegar, but never tried that......has anyone here tried?
Buttermilk is a very important ingredient in very many recipes. I takes just a few drops of vinegar or lemon juice to sour the milk. Then it is used the same as buttermilk. Most chocolate cakes call for buttermilk, and when the recipe calls for buttermilk, it usually calls for baking soda. Some use a little baking powder, too.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
It's only a third of a cup...the bananas flavor takes over the entire bread taste anyway......If you don't want to purchase the buttermilk, just use plain milk. Another note, a tablespoon of vinegar with a third of a cup of milk might be a little too much.
A half teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar would work for 1/3 cup.