Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Beef Kidneys >

Beef Kidneys

Beef Kidneys

Old 08-13-2019, 06:04 PM

Default Beef Kidneys

There are probably a few members here who have had Beef Kidneys. My query is towards you.

What do they taste like?
Is the taste and texture like beef liver?
Any recipes you might share?

My husband and I are curious about them. I bought a package last grocery trip and prepared them for the dogs. I cleaned them up removed the fat and skin, whatever its called...lol They enjoyed them of course.

Both of us love beef liver, beef heart too which I cook often.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:49 PM
Power Poster

I enjoy beef liver and tongue but am leery of kidneys and tripe. My mother was Scottish and wasn’t a fan of those so never prepared them.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:22 PM
Power Poster

Mr Stitchnripper loves kidneys and hates liver although I have never made them. His father made them along with home made Spaetzle. I would guess not like liver but I’m sure someone in the know will post.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:40 AM

My grandmother used to make beef kidney stew. I loved that stew! Sadly I don't have the recipe. The taste is similar to beef liver but the texture is a bit chewier than beef liver. I do remember Nana soaking the kidneys in a brine for a number of hours prior to cooking but that is about the extent of my knowledge of her prep and/or cooking of them.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:30 AM

My mother never prepared kidneys. Said they had a slightly bitter taste. But I have never eaten any either.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:01 AM

I saw recipes for stew, kidneys and mushrooms as well as fried kidneys (looked like fried chicken livers). I am real curious about the taste and texture.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:27 AM

I wouldn't say the taste of kidneys is exactly like liver, but both are organ meats and have a lot of similarities.

I haven't cooked kidneys myself but I have had more than one steak and kidney pie as well as other people's family favorites like broiled lamb kidneys.

My hubby is trying to expand his world of food and has agreed (after a decade of saying no) to try some more things. Recently I cooked a package of chicken livers for the first time for him (I always cook the chicken or turkey livers that come with the birds for myself). He manfully ate them but said no, it wasn't going to be a big favorite. He will eat liverwurst maybe once a year or so. Sadly for me because I love braunschweiger but since I was diagnosed with too much iron in my blood I am supposed to stay away from liver. I looked up kidneys and apparently they are ok iron-wise.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:10 PM

Not a fan of Kidney. I cannot get over the fact that they smell like pee. I do buy pig kidneys for the dogs once in a while. They each get one and eat it raw.

There is a pub near me that is known for its Steak and Kidney Pie. Apparently if you want one, you either have to go early or reserve it ahead of time.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:29 PM

Kidneys were a frequent item at our house growing up. I couldn't get past the urine smell either. Mom would slice them, not all the way through, leaving about 1/2 inch at the bottom. She would put an onion slice between each slice in the kidney, lay a few slices of bacon over all, wrap in foil and bake for about 1 1/2 hours at 350 degrees F. One of my Dad's favorite--me, nah.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:31 PM

Kidneys were also a frequent meal when growing up...they were soaked in milk for three-four days...the first soaking the cats wouldn't even touch the milk...by the end of the soaking process there was no smell or taste what so ever...cooked with onions, liver, bacon and a pan gravy...a serving of mashed potatoes in the middle of the plate with the kidney mixture put in the center...yummy...