Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Calling All Wine Lovers! >

Calling All Wine Lovers!

Calling All Wine Lovers!

Old 05-26-2023, 08:44 AM

We just had a week of "Pinot Fest" in our area. Our valley is so small. It's crazy time when the crowds arrive. Our area is known for very good Pinot Noirs. The Anderson Valley runs SE to NW all the way to the ocean, so the cool fog and ocean influence comes in at night, which Pinot Noir grapes love.
Old 05-26-2023, 08:47 AM

The shrimp New Orleans looks good! Shrimp is more affordable than it used to be. I always have a bag of frozen shrimp in the freezer. I'll have to try that...yumm
Old 05-26-2023, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

tropit- that recipe looks like the one. I don't recall the ketchup though. Since she wouldn't let us in "her kitchen" it's a mystery how it was actually made
Paul's going to make it and see if it tastes like Mom's. I told you I married my mother haha.

A funny thing about my sweet Momma- she wouldn't let us in her kitchen but the minute I got a wedding ring she expected me to know how to cook. Huh?????
My sister and I are no cooks but our 2 brothers are fantastic cooks! Dad never boiled water!!!!!!

My cooking skills aren't that bad though. My kids told me I made a lot of good things while they were growing up. I love making certain things but I'm not creative in the kitchen at all. I make great sauce and a few other things. We made "real food" for our kids and our kids all cook well. They've also told me that nobody their ages knows how to cook. My oldest son, especially loves to entertain and he said people are aghast at what he makes, no matter what it is. And a lot of times it's nothing fancy, just homemade!

Last edited by SusieQOH; 05-26-2023 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-28-2023, 06:17 AM

My kids can cook. My daughter was a born natural and was cooking in the kitchen and creating recipes from when she was only 3 years old. I still have her recipe for "Lemon Noodles." She really should do more in the food industry. She works for a vineyard/winery now. My son can cook, but he lacks some basic knowledge about putting things together, like how much baking powder to use, or how to create a perfect sauce, or gravy. But, he can make a mean pizza.

I should look in my Julia Child's cookbook to see if that shrimp recipe is in there. I'll keep you posted.
Old 05-28-2023, 06:25 AM

Speaking of Pinot Noirs...We lived in the Santa Barbara area for over 30 years. When we first moved there, there were only a few vineyards in the area and none in the Santa Rita Hills. That land was so poor, no one wanted to buy it and it went for really cheap. Babcock and Sanford vineyards came along and everything changed. Both wineries put out some amazing Pinot Noirs! It turned out that it was the perfect climate for that grape and that poor soil only added to the quality of the wine. Now, that area is a prime wine producing area. The entire Santa Ynez and Lompoc Valleys have become a highly sought after wine appellation and that "cheap land" isn't so cheap anymore.
Old 05-28-2023, 04:51 PM
Power Poster

My Mom loved Julia Child and had her cookbooks so maybe it's in there.
Old 05-29-2023, 05:21 AM

Your lunch sounded very yummy.🙂
Old 05-29-2023, 07:20 AM

I started WW again today. Good thing that wine is on the list of food allowed.
Old 05-29-2023, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
My Mom loved Julia Child and had her cookbooks so maybe it's in there.
You can watch the original Julia Child shows on PBS. It's fun!
Old 05-29-2023, 07:28 AM

We have a small, wine store in our tiny town. It's been there about 5 years, but I just ventured into it a few weeks ago. The proprietor, Wendy, really knows a lot about wine and has worked in various aspects of the industry, including time in France. She sells wines from all over the world, but especially French wines. It's interesting to talk with her and try some of her selections. She also sells cheese and other goodies, which I'm going to have to stay away from...for awhile.