Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Can of This, Can of That >

Can of This, Can of That

Can of This, Can of That

Old 03-09-2021, 11:56 AM

Default Can of This, Can of That

It's the end of the week and time to go shopping. I'm always digging through the pantry to find something to put together until I shop. The fresh produce is just about gone, so what to do? I love just throwing a few cans of things together to come up with something yummy. Here's one easy recipe I've come up with.

Spicy Chickpea Saag

2 cans of chickpeas, including the liquid
1 large can of green enchilada sauce
1 can of coconut milk, Lite
1 small can of tomato paste
broth cube
chopped onions
a few, big handfuls of baby spinach
curry powder to taste
garam masala to taste
garlic powder to taste

optional: some chopped mushrooms

Just throw it all in a pot and simmer until the spinach is done. Use less enchilada sauce if you don't want it hot and spicy. Serve with bread, or naan.

Have you got a "can of this a can of that" recipe to share?
Old 03-09-2021, 03:42 PM
Power Poster

Open a can of cream of mushroom soup, add a jar of sliced mushrooms, heat and serve over buttered toast. This is usually my go to meal during a busy day. I use to make homemade thick mushroom soup when the kids were home but now I go with quick and easy. LOL
Old 03-09-2021, 04:14 PM

I remember being at pot lucks in WI. To a crock pot toss in diced cooked bacon, browned burger drained, diced onions, can of corn, navy beans, pork n beans, green beans, diced tomatoes. Heat for 4 hours. Have French bread for dipping.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:49 PM

Onebyone: do you add milk or water to the soup or use it as it comes out of the can? (Thinking condensed type of soup and not the ready to eat type of soup). Whenever I see a recipe that calls for "can of cream of mushroom" or other soup, I never know if I should add water/milk or use as is. I wish recipes would be clearer on this.
Old 03-09-2021, 10:09 PM
DJ

What a fun thread!

I like a can of stewed tomatoes added to a can of chili. Makes it much more like home-made. Someone once asked for my recipe. LOL
Old 03-10-2021, 06:16 AM

DJ, I make a big batch of chili at least once every winter and I add a quart of my home-made salsa to it instead of tomatoes. Also I found I like it best with ground pork than ground beef. Divide it into 2or 3 half-quart containers, put one in the fridge for the week's meal and put the rest in the freezer for another time.
Old 03-10-2021, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

I use milk about 1/2 can if Campbell's condensed. The cream of mushroom ready to eat soup I don't add any liquid. I add milk to the tomato soup, really any Campbell's condensed I add milk, usually 1/2 of what it says to add. I also temper an egg in any chicken noodle soup. Makes it richer and more nutritious.
Old 03-16-2021, 04:44 PM

When I read this title, all I can think of is the wedding scene from the Godfather movie. One of the guests, when offered a canape says "what's with the can of peas?" I know, I have too much time on my hands. LOL
Old 03-17-2021, 02:12 AM

I love Campbell's soups for cooking.
  • ​​​​​​sear chicken thighs 3 minutes each side, then add can of soup(no milk or water) and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Cream of Asparagus, Celery, Mushroom, or poblano...
  • pot roast also. Soup in crock pot, then seared roast and slow cook. Cream of mush (of course) or French onion, Golden mushroom; I even used Clam chowder once!
Old 03-17-2021, 03:42 AM

Tropit, your recipe sounds interesting...I’ll have to give it a try. I do simple pork verde when pork butt is on sale.cube it into 1 inch pieces, brown it in batches in a large skillet or large Dutch oven then add large can(s) of green enchilada sauce, mild green chiles, cumin , oregano and garlic powder to taste and let it simmer for an hour or so until pork is tender. It goes great on rice with avocado, sour cream or other garnishes...you can sift out the pork and put it in a flour tortilla as well. It makes but it freezes well and I do them in smaller containers.