Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Can you freeze meat loaf? >
  • Can you freeze meat loaf?

• Can you freeze meat loaf?

Old 09-01-2017, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv
    When I make meatloaf, I make a lot of it. Some of it is made into the traditional meat loaf, some is made into what we call 'meat loaf burgers'. A meat loaf burger can be thawed in a few hours, and it is wonderful when cooked on a
    George Foreman grill. so there is no need to pre-cook. But pre-cooked isn't bad, either. I love cold meat loaf sandwiches! Have also made small meat loafs and roasted them in muffin pans when the family is starved and can't wait for a big meatloaf to completely cook.
    Meat Loaf burgers! what a great idea! As a single person, my meat loaf recipe is too much, so I always freeze some of it after baking. A quick meal to fix on days when I would rather sew than cook. Next time, I will shape some of it into burgers, bake and freeze, heat and eat on a bun! Thank you Cathy, for the "duh! why didn't I think of that" moment!
    Old 09-01-2017, 04:55 AM

About a year ago I broke my wrist and my brother came over and we made "to go" meals. One was meat loaf. We (he) prepared the meat loaf, cooked it and let it cool just a smidge. Then I lined up 6 of containers with the snap-on lids and added one slice of meat loaf to each. We then added a nice size glop (a professional measurement term) of mashed potatoes. I snapped on the tops and took them to the freezer. I could handle preparing a veggie like carrots, frozen corn, frozen peas. The meat loaf was wonderful. Just popped the container in the microwave, top lifted to allow the cooking steam to escape just before my veg was finished cooking and Ta-Da I had a good meal that was portion controlled and tasty. Go ahead and freeze your meat loaf. It will be fine! Yum, Yum.
    Old 09-01-2017, 05:23 AM

I purchase my meat in large quantities , come home make my meatloaf's up wrap in plastic & freeze .I thaw completely then cook as usual . Taste like you just made it . I also make up my taco meat,cook & freeze w/plastic wrap pushed down on it then freeze , no freezer burn that way also spaghetti sauce same way. Yes I do about 20-25 pounds at a time.
    Old 09-01-2017, 05:37 AM

Great idea. I'm going to try this. I'm vegetarian and I make a grain meatless loaf(looks like the meat one) and my husband is a meat lover. So I make mine and freeze but I like the muffin idea.
    Old 09-01-2017, 05:49 AM

I freeze meat loaf all the time. And just about everything else I bake. I never bake it longer like some recommended, I wonder why they do that ?
    Old 09-01-2017, 06:58 AM

I had kids with assorted food 'quirks' and allergies (meals were so fun!). I spent sunday night preparing meals. I used the muffin tin method of cooking and freezing. The kids had their own freezer containers and I would have things like meatloaf, turkey burgers and non meat proteins precooked. I also froze muffin tin size servings of mac n' cheese and rice mixtures (also froze cupcakes and vegan cookies). This way they could grab stuff after school and nuke it. Took a bit of planning, but so much easier, cheaper and healthier than alternatives. BTW, I had 2 vegans, 2 vegetarians and 1 carnivore who had a gluten intolerance!!! Good thing I love to cook!!!!
    Old 09-01-2017, 07:28 AM

I was thinking of the TV dinners. You get just about anything frozen in them.
    Old 09-01-2017, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by toverly
    Yes, I bake and freeze in muffin size cups, then flip them out and store in a Ziploc freezer bag.
    Me too, love having just the right portion no matter when I want meatloaf.
    Old 09-01-2017, 10:37 AM

When I am lucky enough to have some left I freeze it.I will sometimes slice and put in small pkgs so we can pull out for sandwiches when we want.We are having frozen meatloaf for supper tonite...of course I will thaw it first! Dee
    Old 09-01-2017, 11:12 AM

Thanks, everybody. Looking forward to doing some cooking this weekend and stocking up the fridge.