Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: cheese sauce

Power Poster

cheese sauce

mom would add a touch of dried ground mustard powder to cheese sauce to enhance the cheese flavor.

cheese saucec- white sauce with cheese added to it.

i do that with my mac & cheese too. hubby hates mustard, swears he can always taste it in anything, but nearly 40 years & he's never discovered the touch of powdered mustard i add to mac & cheese, macaroni salad dressing or anything else
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

I will have to try that. I make cheese sauce all the time.
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

I aggree with the mustard. A small dash of worchestershire is also nice.

~C

I'm glad I'm not the only one that sneaks things my DH doesn't like into foods. If he doesn't know it's in there, he'll eat it. I once fixed frozen squash and told him it was sweet potatoes. He didn't know the difference. I think it was a Green Giant product but I haven't been able to find it again. The color was the same as sweet potatoes.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Laughing! My DML always had to have Green Giant peas when she visited. Said she could tell the difference! So at the first meal I served them, kept the empty can under the sink, 2 weeks later when we had peas again they were the store brand. I hid that can, put the old can on the counter. When I asked if the peas were OK, she said yes, she could always tell Green Giant. My husband nearly choked trying not to laugh.

Blog Entries
    i've cooked for 40 years. Now hubby watches and says "don't put that in" I say I always put that in. He eats it , says he now doesn't like it. I make it same when he not watches, says it taste great. So now, I don't let him watch...lol

You all are cracking me up!!! Thanks for the laughs. I do it too, and my DH grumbles.
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Blog Entries
    Add a pinch of cayenne or smoked paprika with the mustard powder to further enhance the flavour. It does not make it hot, just gives additional depth to the sauce. Works well in cheese biscuits too.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tothill View Post
    Add a pinch of cayenne or smoked paprika with the mustard powder to further enhance the flavour. It does not make it hot, just gives additional depth to the sauce. Works well in cheese biscuits too.
    Oh yes, I do that too! If you want a real cheesy flavor, you can also add a little nutritional yeast. Lots of great ideas!
    ~ C

Originally Posted by Tothill

Quote Originally Posted by tropit View Post
    Oh yes, I do that too! If you want a real cheesy flavor, you can also add a little nutritional yeast. Lots of great ideas!
    ~ C
    i use smoked paprika or true hungarian paprika in many of my spice blends but never thought of adding to cheese sauce or mac n'cheese! thanks!! will do this next time!
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by roguequilter View Post
    Originally Posted by Tothill

i use smoked paprika or true hungarian paprika in many of my spice blends but never thought of adding to cheese sauce or mac n'cheese! thanks!! will do this next time!
    I buy smoked paprika by the pound in the bulk section and use it for everything. Same with "nooch" (Nutritional yeast.) If you try the nooch, just add a little bit...a teaspoon, or two. It can be overpowering if you use too much. (BTW, nooch supplies a lot of vitamin B12, which is often lacking in our diets.)

~ C

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I had to laugh at this thread. I have just spent 5 months with my daughter and SIL tending to my new grandson. SIL is the weekend breakfast cook and a really good one.

I had told them I didn't care for pumpkin...muffins, pie, waffles, etc. But one weekend, after several times of my requesting plain waffles for my plate, he made "cinnamon" waffles presented them for breakfast. I ate a couple and remarked how nice the cinnamon was. He and DD nearly choked trying not to laugh! Finally he said, "Yeah, these sure are good "cinnamon" waffles" and I could tell by the tone of his voice that I'd been 'had', the silly stinkers!!

We laughed about that the rest of the visit, but I found I still preferred my regular plain waffles and they didn't try to tease me again. Love those kids.

Jan in VA
    Here's my darling grandson with Mom looking at his first snowfall (Yes, in Savannah!!) and in the bath:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

These posts are so funny!!!
    Jan, your grandson is darling and your daughter looks just like you- I thought it was you!!!

Want to make restaurant/catering melting cheese? Much cheaper then buying it.
    This recipe is decades old and makes the best cheese dip.

Put 6 tablespoons dry milk and a 1/4-ounce packet dry unflavored gelatin in a blender or food processor.
    Blend briefly, just to combine.

Add 1 cup boiling water, blending just until smooth. IMMEDIATELY add 16 ounces shredded cheese.

8-ounce bags of shredded orange sharp cheddar cheese will work.

Process until the mixture is totally smooth.

Pour/scoop the mixture into your prepared pan. It starts setting up pretty quickly, so don’t dawdle.
    Gently pat the plastic wrap onto the surface; the less wrinkled the wrap, the smoother your final product.

Refrigerate for a few hours, until it’s set. Take it out of the pan,
    and make sure it’s wrapped securely – no bare surfaces showing.
    Refrigerate..
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    These posts are so funny!!!
    Jan, your grandson is darling and your daughter looks just like you- I thought it was you!!!
    Thank you, Susie! Both my daughters look like me, I feel, though they are from different fathers. It's those strong Brit/Scandinavian genes. Here is my other daughter with my older grandson.

Jan in VA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills

Yes, Jan, she does too! And your grandson is so handsome!!!!!!!

What do you mean by melting cheese? Is it used for fondue or veggies?

Is this like Velveeta? If so, Wow! Never ever thought you could just make a similar product!
    What size pan? How do you prepare the pan? I assume to keep the cheese from sticking???
    Another use for the Vitamix!

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    Want to make restaurant/catering melting cheese? Much cheaper then buying it.
    This recipe is decades old and makes the best cheese dip.....
    What an interesting recipe/idea. I love cheese dip/sauces and may give this a try. As a matter of fact I had Velveeta/Rotel dip last night with guacamole and Tostitos chips for dinner. Hate doing that, makes me feel so guilty, but the situation warranted it at the time. Thanks for posting it, OnebyOne.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills

I have made this before and it is what the many restaurants use. Especially the ones that use a lot of cheese for Mexican dishes. They make it by the tub full. I use a loaf pan, oiled. Easier to store in that shape. I have never thought any food product couldn't be made at home as long as I had the right ingredients. Great restaurants make everything from scratch, cost the fraction of buying pre made. Better the food the more customers the more staff to do the prep work in the kitchen.