Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
cheese sauce >

cheese sauce

cheese sauce

Old 01-21-2018, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Tothill
Add a pinch of cayenne or smoked paprika with the mustard powder to further enhance the flavour. It does not make it hot, just gives additional depth to the sauce. Works well in cheese biscuits too.

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Oh yes, I do that too! If you want a real cheesy flavor, you can also add a little nutritional yeast. Lots of great ideas!
~ C
i use smoked paprika or true hungarian paprika in many of my spice blends but never thought of adding to cheese sauce or mac n'cheese! thanks!! will do this next time!
Old 01-24-2018, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by roguequilter View Post
Originally Posted by Tothill
Add a pinch of cayenne or smoked paprika with the mustard powder to further enhance the flavour. It does not make it hot, just gives additional depth to the sauce. Works well in cheese biscuits too.

i use smoked paprika or true hungarian paprika in many of my spice blends but never thought of adding to cheese sauce or mac n'cheese! thanks!! will do this next time!
I buy smoked paprika by the pound in the bulk section and use it for everything. Same with "nooch" (Nutritional yeast.) If you try the nooch, just add a little bit...a teaspoon, or two. It can be overpowering if you use too much. (BTW, nooch supplies a lot of vitamin B12, which is often lacking in our diets.)

~ C
Old 01-27-2018, 09:43 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I had to laugh at this thread. I have just spent 5 months with my daughter and SIL tending to my new grandson. SIL is the weekend breakfast cook and a really good one.

I had told them I didn't care for pumpkin...muffins, pie, waffles, etc. But one weekend, after several times of my requesting plain waffles for my plate, he made "cinnamon" waffles presented them for breakfast. I ate a couple and remarked how nice the cinnamon was. He and DD nearly choked trying not to laugh! Finally he said, "Yeah, these sure are good "cinnamon" waffles" and I could tell by the tone of his voice that I'd been 'had', the silly stinkers!!

We laughed about that the rest of the visit, but I found I still preferred my regular plain waffles and they didn't try to tease me again. Love those kids. <3

Jan in VA
Here's my darling grandson with Mom looking at his first snowfall (Yes, in Savannah!!) and in the bath:
Attached Thumbnails first-snow-2-1-3-2017.jpg   26220287_10211255163791014_2526314757312891624_n.jpg  
Old 01-27-2018, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

These posts are so funny!!!
Jan, your grandson is darling and your daughter looks just like you- I thought it was you!!!
Old 01-27-2018, 11:08 AM
Power Poster

Want to make restaurant/catering melting cheese? Much cheaper then buying it.
This recipe is decades old and makes the best cheese dip.

Put 6 tablespoons dry milk and a 1/4-ounce packet dry unflavored gelatin in a blender or food processor.
Blend briefly, just to combine.

Add 1 cup boiling water, blending just until smooth. IMMEDIATELY add 16 ounces shredded cheese.

8-ounce bags of shredded orange sharp cheddar cheese will work.

Process until the mixture is totally smooth.

Pour/scoop the mixture into your prepared pan. It starts setting up pretty quickly, so don’t dawdle.
Gently pat the plastic wrap onto the surface; the less wrinkled the wrap, the smoother your final product.

Refrigerate for a few hours, until it’s set. Take it out of the pan,
and make sure it’s wrapped securely – no bare surfaces showing.
Refrigerate..
Old 01-27-2018, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
These posts are so funny!!!
Jan, your grandson is darling and your daughter looks just like you- I thought it was you!!!
Thank you, Susie! Both my daughters look like me, I feel, though they are from different fathers. It's those strong Brit/Scandinavian genes. Here is my other daughter with my older grandson.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails 8989639_1487987427.0635.jpg  
Old 01-27-2018, 07:23 PM
Power Poster

Yes, Jan, she does too! And your grandson is so handsome!!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2018, 09:16 PM

What do you mean by melting cheese? Is it used for fondue or veggies?
Old 01-28-2018, 05:29 AM

Is this like Velveeta? If so, Wow! Never ever thought you could just make a similar product!
What size pan? How do you prepare the pan? I assume to keep the cheese from sticking???
Another use for the Vitamix!
Old 01-28-2018, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Want to make restaurant/catering melting cheese? Much cheaper then buying it.
This recipe is decades old and makes the best cheese dip.....
What an interesting recipe/idea. I love cheese dip/sauces and may give this a try. As a matter of fact I had Velveeta/Rotel dip last night with guacamole and Tostitos chips for dinner. Hate doing that, makes me feel so guilty, but the situation warranted it at the time. Thanks for posting it, OnebyOne.

Jan in VA