Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Cold counter tops >

Cold counter tops

Cold counter tops

Old 12-28-2017, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

I do all my bread kneading and shaping on parchment paper sprinkled with flour. I don't like to have the mess on my counter top to clean up. My counter tops are butcher block so it seems to be room temp. I let my dough rise in a pre heated low warmed oven.

Tip: If parchment paper won't lay flat, wad it up and then smooth it out. Lays flat on the counter and on a cookie sheet.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
I live in the northeast and my counters are cool to the touch in winter. When I knead dough, I don't do it long enough to inhibit rising. When I want to let dough rise, I preheat my oven for a minute or two before covering and setting dough to rise in it.
I just turn on the oven light,it warms the oven very well also the dough. Did just the light to rise my pizza dough on Sunday.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:04 PM

Thanks, everyone, for the info. Interesting how we always make do!
Old 12-28-2017, 02:37 PM

What kind of yeast do you use?
Old 12-28-2017, 02:58 PM

You got lots of great advice already.

I have an oversized wooden cutting board that I use for kneading bread dough and rolling pie crust. My house is on the cools side and I never have any problem with dough rising. If the room is too cold, it will take longer for the dough to rise, but it will eventually rise, even in a fridge.

I too, make cinnamon buns the night before and leave in the fridge overnight.

I also keep yeast in the fridge or freezer, it does not harm the yeast for it to be kept cold. I use a brick of yeast every 6 months or so.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
I found that the best place for dough to rise in my home is
under the warmth of the lights in the fan above my stove.
I let my dough rise in the microwave. Works perfectly. I make the dough in the biggest Tupperware bowl I have. (Holds a gallon or two. Large "That's A Bowl"?) Then I put a large glass of water into the microwave and get it boiling. Set this hot glass of water into the back corner and put the bowl of dough into the microwave. Close the door and set a timer. The dough rises faster in this warm moist environment.
If it starts to run over, it makes a mess, but it doesn't hurt the dough. Don't ask me how I know that. That's why I use the timer.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

I love making dough and appreciate all these great ways to make it rise!
Sorry I have no advice about cold counters though.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
I let my dough rise in the microwave. Works perfectly. I make the dough in the biggest Tupperware bowl I have. (Holds a gallon or two. Large "That's A Bowl"?) Then I put a large glass of water into the microwave and get it boiling. Set this hot glass of water into the back corner and put the bowl of dough into the microwave. Close the door and set a timer. The dough rises faster in this warm moist environment.
If it starts to run over, it makes a mess, but it doesn't hurt the dough. Don't ask me how I know that. That's why I use the timer.
Holy Cow! How big is that microwave?
Old 12-29-2017, 12:07 PM

I knead the bread dough in my Kitchen Aid mixer with a dough hook. I turn my oven light on,and its warm enough to rise the bread without any heat setting.

My microwave is large enough to cook a small turkey in it...up to about 16 pounds. Just 15 minutes, turn, repeat until all sides are done. Put paprika on the turkey before putting it in the microwave. Use to do it before we took our youngest to the baby sitter before school started. She wanted some food for him from time to time and that was quick and easy to do. I only used butter ball turkeys.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:20 PM

I do the same thing and I also use my microwave when I make cultured vegetables...it's a nice cozy environment. We no longer use the microwave for cooking because of the negative effects on the nutrition in the food, so I'm pleased to have a use for it.

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post