Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Corned Beef...for 100? Gulp. >

Corned Beef...for 100? Gulp.

Corned Beef...for 100? Gulp.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:37 PM

Have you seen or used these large ro*asting p*ans?

http://www.nesco.com/products/Roaste...-Roaster-Oven/

They are well-liked on a cooking forum I read.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:00 PM

I bake my corned beef long and low on a rack with it all encased in foil. The person I cook for says it's the best he's ever had. There is a very large amount of shrinkage.
I second the idea of cooking one before you do enough for 100.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:39 AM

I have done corn beef for a large gathering several times. Buy the best piece of corned beef you can. If you can purchase it at a store that sells to restaurants. Add the packet of spices that comes with it or make your own. I always cook mine the day before. Slice it and wrap it in aluminum foil. The next day I just warm it up in the oven.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:51 AM

I am not being sarcastic when I say: Do what you would do if serving 10 and multiply by 10. It's just a different meat so get corned beef instead of pastrami. I'm not a chef so really have no business commenting at all, but I don't see the difference. I would like to learn how that makes any difference.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by llong0233 View Post
I am not being sarcastic when I say: Do what you would do if serving 10 and multiply by 10. It's just a different meat so get corned beef instead of pastrami. I'm not a chef so really have no business commenting at all, but I don't see the difference. I would like to learn how that makes any difference.
I'm not much of a cook, but I can handle cooking something for 10. For 100? I see it as a huge difference. Like 90 people
Old 12-06-2017, 04:19 PM

Yes, I have a suggestion. Call all of your friends and ask to borrow their slow cookers. Put a couple briskets in each, some cabbage, black pepper and other seasonings, and a few carrots. Cook all night. Easy Peasy. It helps with these things to be Irish....lol.

Last edited by madamekelly; 12-06-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:39 PM

LOTS of Prayer, oh my,my, my. Best wishes and let us know how everything turns out.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:28 PM

Granddaughter made the latkes for our celebration the last few years. Get someone to help. Pass out jobs.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
I was under the impression I was doing Pastrami, but was just informed yesterday that the Director now wants corned beef for her Hanukkah luncheon.

I've been a chef for along time and I have never done corned beef before, much less for a crowd this big. Add latkes and all the rest and I'm pretty sure I will have a few more grey hairs by then.

Any hints/tips/prayers for doing corned beef for 100?

Watson
I used to know my way around a professional kitchen...way back when.

Sorry, I don't mean to add to your woes, but it sounds like your biggest problem might not be the corned beef, but the latkes. You're going to need to make a couple hundred of them and they'll have to stay hot and crispy. A large, flat grill will help. They should be served fresh and hot off the stove, so save them for last. Also, don't let the shredded potatoes get dark. Keep them in icy water until ready to use, then pat them so they are really dry before you fry them.

As for the corned beef...If you have enough burners, I'd get several large pots of corned beef briskets simmering on the stove and cook them for about a couple of hours. (I'm just guessing. You should look up the cooking time in a cookbook.) If you want your CB a little drier, then I'd then transfer the large chunks of cooked meat on to sheet pans, put them in the ovens and cover with foil the last half hour, or so, just to give it a little crunch on the outsides.

I'm not an expert, but I think that's the route that I'd go. Good luck and Happy Hanukkah!

~ C
Old 12-10-2017, 07:37 AM
DJ

I don't know how soon you are doing this, so maybe I'm too late with this suggestion, but ...

On St. Patrick's Day we go to a local Irish pub/restaurant where they serve corned beef at a buffet table. If I had to do it, I would call them and ask them for suggestions, since they have already "invented the wheel".

I hope it all goes well for you.