Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Crawfish Pie >

Crawfish Pie

Crawfish Pie

Old 03-22-2011, 04:11 PM

Its crawfish season here in the south...
2] 8 inch pie shells..
1 pound crawfish tail meat
2 cups bread crumbs
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup onion
1 bell pepper chopped
1/4 cup parsley
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons green onion
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup water.
Bake pie shells for 10 minutes.Set a side.
Chop tail meat..Add bread crumbs and seasong.over low heat, melt butter and cook vegies..Cook for about 10 minutes..Then add bread crumbs and crawfish..Mix well and simmer another 10 minutes..Add water and simmer for 5 more minutes..Pour into pie shells and bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes..You may top it with fress grated parmesan cheese...Serve with french bread...
Old 03-22-2011, 04:15 PM
Power Poster

I'm going to a crawfish boil in the next few days. They fix hot dogs for me:). But it is still fun to eat and fellowship:)
Old 03-22-2011, 04:29 PM

When can I come eat?
Old 03-23-2011, 06:18 AM

Ohooo yeaha, This sounds so close to what I remember my Aunt Sue making. However, there aren't any real recipes. We always just wing it with what we have or feel like at the moment. The major difference is the final prep. Aunt Sue would take the filling and fold it into the a square rolled shell, about the size of a hot pocket, and make individual pies, or walkin' pies as my cousins called them.

Oh, now that reminds me of those hot fried apple pies from the other side of the family. And I call myself watching my diet. ROFL
Old 03-23-2011, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

Sounds yummy! Never had them. Bf went on a trip to LA, and the man who he was buying a tank from invited him for Supper....BF loved them!
Old 03-23-2011, 08:06 AM

I remember catching Crawdads in the creek as a child in WV. Grandma would make some of the best tasting stew with them!

I would take a round barrel hoop with burlap fabric sewed onto it, with small pieces of meat or fish tied to it and a pair of ropes on it. I'd drop it in the water and let it set, Crawdads have a very good sense of smell. And when they get their claws on food, they won't let go, all it takes is to raise the hoop and remove any I wanted to keep. The others would sometimes still be on it when it was lowered again into the water.

Wonder if today's Crawdads/Crawfish are "farm" raised?
Old 03-23-2011, 09:11 AM

Saw this recipe and knew you had to be a southerner. I'm from your sister state, Mississippi. Thanks for the recipe!
Old 03-23-2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
I'm going to a crawfish boil in the next few days. They fix hot dogs for me:). But it is still fun to eat and fellowship:)
Awww come on, you gotta try the crawfish !!! Yum :)
Old 03-23-2011, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by olebat
Ohooo yeaha, This sounds so close to what I remember my Aunt Sue making. However, there aren't any real recipes. We always just wing it with what we have or feel like at the moment. The major difference is the final prep. Aunt Sue would take the filling and fold it into the a square rolled shell, about the size of a hot pocket, and make individual pies, or walkin' pies as my cousins called them.

Oh, now that reminds me of those hot fried apple pies from the other side of the family. And I call myself watching my diet. ROFL
Memories .... yes my grandma made wonderful fried apple & peach pies too, and sometimes pear from her pear trees
I'm hungry for them now too :)
Old 03-23-2011, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
I remember catching Crawdads in the creek as a child in WV. Grandma would make some of the best tasting stew with them!

I would take a round barrel hoop with burlap fabric sewed onto it, with small pieces of meat or fish tied to it and a pair of ropes on it. I'd drop it in the water and let it set, Crawdads have a very good sense of smell. And when they get their claws on food, they won't let go, all it takes is to raise the hoop and remove any I wanted to keep. The others would sometimes still be on it when it was lowered again into the water.

Wonder if today's Crawdads/Crawfish are "farm" raised?
Yes they are all farm raised now, still mostly in LA and Southeast TX ... but watch out at the store for the packaged, cleaned tail meat. Check the labels, some are imported from China/SE Asia ... we don't buy those