Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Crockpot Granola >

Crockpot Granola

Crockpot Granola

Old 10-19-2021, 05:28 AM

That certainly sounds easy - I need to try it! I love granola with yogurt. Homemade granola is a bad thing to have around here as I can’t stop eating it!
Old 10-19-2021, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

For the hesitants in making this .......... While I never have made such, the best Nuts and Bolts I have ever made were in the crockpot! Just be sure to leave the lid ajar (or a bit more than such) or you'll have a wilty mess from all the humidity that builds in a crock!!
Old 10-19-2021, 10:33 AM

I made it using coconut oil and it turned out great. I cooled it overnight and it is now in quart jars, vacuum sealed, for later while I use a pint for now.
Thank you for the recipe and temp setting.
Old 10-20-2021, 03:52 AM

I have lots of sorghum molasses. I wonder what I'd get if instead of honey? I know,- I should just test, but is there any reason I should not? And another ?? should the nuts be added before or after cooking?
Old 10-20-2021, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
I have lots of sorghum molasses. I wonder what I'd get if instead of honey? I know,- I should just test, but is there any reason I should not? And another ?? should the nuts be added before or after cooking?
Nuts before and dried fruit after.
Old 10-22-2021, 02:28 AM

Thank you, Tranum, for posting this. I made it yesterday, and it turned out great!
Old 10-22-2021, 04:28 AM

UPDATE: I made another batch yesterday and cut oil down to 1/4 cup. Success - so I’m doing that from now on.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:49 AM
Power Poster

I also made it on Wednesday and used this recipe and what I learned from this post to modify and make my own. I did cook it on low the whole time and I did not toast it in the oven afterwards. Also I only did oats 8 cups and then the last hour or so added 2 cups whole almonds and two cups chopped up dried figs. It turned out great. You just have to be sure to stir frequently with a wooden spoon to prevent burning. Also I just put in coconut oil first, coating the sides at the same time instead of spraying. then I added all the other ingredients and mixed. I left the wooden spoon stand in the oats and that is how I kept the lid on a crack. I will definitely be making this recipe again.
Old 11-11-2021, 10:06 AM

I’m gonna try this thanks! I've made Bravetart's granola from Serious eats recipe and I have to say I've been really impressed. Soaking the oats in buttermilk beforehand puffs them slightly and makes them come out more crispy instead of hard. Using wheat germ gives it a nice toasty flavor, and using sugar, instead of honey or syrup, allows the oats to bake for longer before the sugar starts to caramelize, making sure it's nice and dry and crispy, and not soggy or burnt tasting.
Old 11-11-2021, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by topazann View Post
I’m gonna try this thanks! I've made Bravetart's granola from Serious eats recipe and I have to say I've been really impressed. Soaking the oats in buttermilk beforehand puffs them slightly and makes them come out more crispy instead of hard. Using wheat germ gives it a nice toasty flavor, and using sugar, instead of honey or syrup, allows the oats to bake for longer before the sugar starts to caramelize, making sure it's nice and dry and crispy, and not soggy or burnt tasting.
That looks like a great granola recipe. I've been using America's Test Kitchen's granola recipe for years, altering nuts and fruits as desired. I like that it uses maple syrup (the real stuff, not colored corn syrup) as the sweetener and am wondering how that might work in the recipe you've linked. Hmmm....