Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Dish for Quilt Retreat

Dish for Quilt Retreat

Have an upcoming three night four day quilt retreat coming up. We share bringing the evening meal. I'd like to do a casserole or main dish that is portable and not too involved to fix....any suggestions out there? Thank you.

Baked ziti?? Boil the noodles, mix up ricotta cheese with an egg and some spices and a bit of sauce. Toss in the noodles; mix all together adding sauce as needed. Bake about 30 min. or so. Can be made up ahead and then heated at the retreat.

how about something crockpot...meatballs perhaps? I do a sweet and sour meatball that uses frozen meatballs. All you do is dump them in and let them cook. I usually serve them over rice, but not essential.

Lots of good easy recipes on the recipe part of this board.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Power Poster
    ​Real macaroni and cheese done in the crock pot.

Once when we had a sew-in someone made chicken chili. Then she brought Fritos and shredded cheese to go with it. It was a big hit.
    Lori

How about tamale pie? It's pretty easy. Just saute everything in a large skillet, dump it into a casserole dish and top it with a cornmeal batter and grated cheese. (Sliced olives look nice on top too...if ya wanna get fancy.) Don't make it too spicy...not everyone can handle that.

~ C

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    ​Real macaroni and cheese done in the crock pot.
    I get raves making grandmas Mac and cheese for potlucks. It’s quick to put together, 1 hour in the oven, add a salad, and dinner is ready.

Cook one pound of pasta and strain it. (I like to use radiatore, it holds the cheese best IMHO).
    Cook just until al dente, since it will be cooked again.
    Grate one pound of medium cheddar cheese.
    For seasoning, I use “Mrs. Dash” with the yellow lid.

Spray a deep, large casserole with cooking spray (unless you like the crunchy bits around the edges).
    Layer pasta, cheese, Mrs. dash, repeat three times reserving a little extra cheese for the top. (I am quite heavy handed with the seasoning and no one complains since there is not salt in it.
    Cut a cube of real butter into pats, and lay all over the top, pour two cups of milk over it all, season one last time, cover and place in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour.

You can make this ahead by not adding the milk until you are ready to put it in the oven. It does travel well in a cooler, just refrigerate until the oven is hot. Pour on the milk (that I carry in a drink bottle), and bake. Serve with a salad, and two or three choices of salad dressing. Nom...Nom...Nom! Yummy!

Never have had any leftovers. Grandma says this is the real way to make macaroni and cheese, and grandma was right about everything else, so.... Lol.

This recipe serves a good size group. (Gramma always asked grandma to crumble potato chips over “his half” which is good, but I do not like to add the extra salt.)
    Last edited by madamekelly; 01-07-2018 at 04:02 AM.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

What sauce recipe do you use? Sounds good!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bneuen View Post
    What sauce recipe do you use? Sounds good!!
    Were you asking me? If so, the milk, butter, and cheese form the sauce while baking. The pasta cooks a bit more which helps thicken it all. It is a depression era recipe, so no extras are in it. Doesn’t need them.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

The Beautiful Willamette Valley In Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
    I get raves making grandmas Mac and cheese for potlucks. It’s quick to put together, 1 hour in the oven, add a salad, and dinner is ready.

Cook one pound of pasta and strain it. (I like to use radiatore, it holds the cheese best IMHO).
    Cook just until al dente, since it will be cooked again.
    Grate one pound of medium cheddar cheese.
    For seasoning, I use “Mrs. Dash” with the yellow lid.

Spray a deep, large casserole with cooking spray (unless you like the crunchy bits around the edges).
    Layer pasta, cheese, Mrs. dash, repeat three times reserving a little extra cheese for the top. (I am quite heavy handed with the seasoning and no one complains since there is not salt in it.
    Cut a cube of real butter into pats, and lay all over the top, pour two cups of milk over it all, season one last time, cover and place in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour.

You can make this ahead by not adding the milk until you are ready to put it in the oven. It does travel well in a cooler, just refrigerate until the oven is hot. Pour on the milk (that I carry in a drink bottle), and bake. Serve with a salad, and two or three choices of salad dressing. Nom...Nom...Nom! Yummy!

Never have had any leftovers. Grandma says this is the real way to make macaroni and cheese, and grandma was right about everything else, so.... Lol.

This recipe serves a good size group. (Gramma always asked grandma to crumble potato chips over “his half” which is good, but I do not like to add the extra salt.)
    Thanks for the recipe, madamekelly. This sounds good!
    Shirley
    "We shall pass this way on Earth but once; if there is any kindness we can show, or good act we can do, let us do it now, for we will never pass this way again." Stephen Grellet

I’m going to suggest “Ham Balls”. Make up ahead and put in crockpot when you go.

5 lbs ham loaf meat (or grind 3 lbs ham & 2 lbs pork yourself) Our meat market has ham loaf all done
    2 cups quick cooking oatmeal
    2 cups milk
    1 or 2 eggs

I put in my Kitchen Aid to mix (half at a time, the whole recipe is too much for the bowl.) Dump in large bowl and make balls. I use a large cookie scooper or about a small 1/4 cup. Use 2 large lightly cookie sheet pans with sides. Make sauce: 1 cup cider vinegar 3 cups brown sugar (I cut this back). 1 cup water 2 Tblspns prepared mustard. Whisk together in saucepan and heat to just boiling. Pour over ham balls, bake 90 minutes at 350. They freeze good.
    Recipe came from a cafe.

Quote Originally Posted by tranum View Post
    I’m going to suggest “Ham Balls”. Make up ahead and put in crockpot when you go.

5 lbs ham loaf meat (or grind 3 lbs ham & 2 lbs pork yourself) Our meat market has ham loaf all done
    2 cups quick cooking oatmeal
    2 cups milk
    1 or 2 eggs

I put in my Kitchen Aid to mix (half at a time, the whole recipe is too much for the bowl.) Dump in large bowl and make balls. I use a large cookie scooper or about a small 1/4 cup. Use 2 large lightly cookie sheet pans with sides. Make sauce: 1 cup cider vinegar 3 cups brown sugar (I cut this back). 1 cup water 2 Tblspns prepared mustard. Whisk together in saucepan and heat to just boiling. Pour over ham balls, bake 90 minutes at 350. They freeze good.
    Recipe came from a cafe.
    2 corrections: it’s a lightly “greased” cookie sheet and disregard the “small” 1/4 cup.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShirlR View Post
    Thanks for the recipe, madamekelly. This sounds good!
    That should have read “Grandpa wanted Grandma to put potato chips on top of his piece before baking”.

Right now my potluck recipe is the Chinese Coleslaw. It uses precut cabbage and has no mayonnaise in it. Keeps well in a cooler. Just google for the recipe and lots come up with many variations. You can choose your favorite. DH likes the ramen noodle crunch and cashews.

Shepherd's pie?
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

We had this for breakfast, but it was sooo good we asked for it again at supper that night!!! Big crockpot of milk gravy with pork sausage crumbled in it. Then on the side were big, big homemade biscuits to split and spoon the gravy mixture over. It was delicious with a fresh fruit salad, and anytime of day!

Tamale pie? Sounds interesting...

My DH and I enjoy Fritos Pie. Add handful of Fritos to bowl, pour hot chili over it, sprinkle with shredded cheese and repeat. Serve it with salsa and sour cream. I make it in individual bowls. You could take a pot of mild chili and bring bottle of hot sauce for those who like it spicy.