Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Dish for Quilt Retreat >

Dish for Quilt Retreat

Dish for Quilt Retreat

Old 01-06-2018, 05:49 AM

Default Dish for Quilt Retreat

Have an upcoming three night four day quilt retreat coming up. We share bringing the evening meal. I'd like to do a casserole or main dish that is portable and not too involved to fix....any suggestions out there? Thank you.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:58 AM

Baked ziti?? Boil the noodles, mix up ricotta cheese with an egg and some spices and a bit of sauce. Toss in the noodles; mix all together adding sauce as needed. Bake about 30 min. or so. Can be made up ahead and then heated at the retreat.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:08 AM

how about something crockpot...meatballs perhaps? I do a sweet and sour meatball that uses frozen meatballs. All you do is dump them in and let them cook. I usually serve them over rice, but not essential.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

Lots of good easy recipes on the recipe part of this board.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

​Real macaroni and cheese done in the crock pot.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:21 AM

Once when we had a sew-in someone made chicken chili. Then she brought Fritos and shredded cheese to go with it. It was a big hit.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:35 PM

How about tamale pie? It's pretty easy. Just saute everything in a large skillet, dump it into a casserole dish and top it with a cornmeal batter and grated cheese. (Sliced olives look nice on top too...if ya wanna get fancy.) Don't make it too spicy...not everyone can handle that.

~ C
Old 01-07-2018, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​Real macaroni and cheese done in the crock pot.
I get raves making grandmas Mac and cheese for potlucks. It’s quick to put together, 1 hour in the oven, add a salad, and dinner is ready.

Cook one pound of pasta and strain it. (I like to use radiatore, it holds the cheese best IMHO).
Cook just until al dente, since it will be cooked again.
Grate one pound of medium cheddar cheese.
For seasoning, I use “Mrs. Dash” with the yellow lid.

Spray a deep, large casserole with cooking spray (unless you like the crunchy bits around the edges).
Layer pasta, cheese, Mrs. dash, repeat three times reserving a little extra cheese for the top. (I am quite heavy handed with the seasoning and no one complains since there is not salt in it.
Cut a cube of real butter into pats, and lay all over the top, pour two cups of milk over it all, season one last time, cover and place in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour.

You can make this ahead by not adding the milk until you are ready to put it in the oven. It does travel well in a cooler, just refrigerate until the oven is hot. Pour on the milk (that I carry in a drink bottle), and bake. Serve with a salad, and two or three choices of salad dressing. Nom...Nom...Nom! Yummy!

Never have had any leftovers. Grandma says this is the real way to make macaroni and cheese, and grandma was right about everything else, so.... Lol.

This recipe serves a good size group. (Gramma always asked grandma to crumble potato chips over “his half” which is good, but I do not like to add the extra salt.)

Last edited by madamekelly; 01-07-2018 at 04:02 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:25 AM

What sauce recipe do you use? Sounds good!!
Old 01-07-2018, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by bneuen View Post
What sauce recipe do you use? Sounds good!!
Were you asking me? If so, the milk, butter, and cheese form the sauce while baking. The pasta cooks a bit more which helps thicken it all. It is a depression era recipe, so no extras are in it. Doesn’t need them.