Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Do you or did you bake with your children? >

Do you or did you bake with your children?

Do you or did you bake with your children?

Old 06-29-2016, 08:19 AM

I baked with my kids a lot because my mom baked with us so I thought that was what every mom did! My 25 yo DS's girlfriend was amazed that he can bake and that he had memorized my chocolate chip cookie recipe (not the one on the chocolate chip bag). One day my 23yo DD had a friend over and said let's bake cookies. The friend thought they had to go buy refrigerated cookie dough first. She'd never baked cookies from scratch!
Old 06-29-2016, 08:29 AM

I've baked with little ones since I was a teen. Started with Haystacks cause that was no cook and proceeded from there.
Each of my kids learned to bake/cook starting with standing on a chair beside me. It's astonishing how well they can handle a knife at a rather young age. Now my son does most of the cooking at his house and his wife bakes - both with their little helpers. DSIL and DD both cook and bake with their kids. And when everyone is home the little ones help whomever is in charge of the kitchen.
I can hardly wait till my knees are better - knee replacements needed - to bake with the grands!
Old 06-29-2016, 09:19 AM

I don't remember cooking or baking with my Mother, but she was a great cook. I was a terrible cook when first married, but learned as I went along. I cooked and baked with my children, and also with my grandchildren.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:25 PM

I worked full time at a very demanding job and raised three boys. The youngest one was type 1 diabetic from age 3.5. We all baked and cooked together. By the time they were in high school they did dinner on various nights. You're so right; it was great bonding time. It was also practical. Now they are adults with families and they can all cook for their families. If they want cookies, they can make them. Sadly my grand children do not live close by so I can't bake and cook with them.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:02 PM
Power Poster

yes, I baked with my 3 girls. We started out with Christmas cookies and went from
there. They are all good cooks now.
I've also baked with my grandkids. I've never had one that didn't want to help in
the kitchen. We took lots of pictures and made lots of memories.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:56 PM

I baked with my children when they were small and now I am baking with my granddaughter - who is 2 - when she comes over to stay. She stands on a stool next to me and holds the hand beater in the bowl as well as pouring in flour, sugar, liquid etc.

A lifelong skill being taught in a fun atmosphere.

P.S. She also sits on my knee when I am sewing and is fascinated by the machine needle going up and down. Teach them young I say.

Last edited by busy fingers; 06-29-2016 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

I always baked with my daughter. She baked with her son, my grandson. They both love baking...
Old 07-02-2016, 06:36 PM

We( my siblings and I)learned to bake, cook and can helping our parents.
I always baked with my kids-from the time they could stand on a stool next to me. They do the same with their kids.

Last edited by bakermom; 07-02-2016 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:40 PM

I baked a lot of cookies for the Xmas holidays. My sugar cookie recipe makes 100. So to help me, I let my DD have a party with her friends. I thought I would get all my cookies decorated with their help. But NO. What they didn't eat they carried home. We did this several years and my DD and friends still talk about the cookies they baked. What fun
Old 07-04-2016, 06:18 AM

I worked with a lady who had a tradition of shopping with each of her grandchildren for a cookie jar. Every so often she had individual baking days with them. They would bring their cookie jar, bake, and take home a full jar to share with their family. No one felt left out and each had their turn. I think it is a great tradition.