Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Do you use a Butter Bell? >

Do you use a Butter Bell?

Do you use a Butter Bell?

Old 01-30-2017, 06:10 PM

I don't know about brands but I have a round one which works great and one that is more of a square type. The square one will have the butter fall out of it easier so I prefer the round one.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:23 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
I asked original question. We live in Midwest, where Summers can get humid. When I grew up, butter came in 1 lb hunks, not quarters and Mom put the whole lb on the table, never had mold. We are winter vacationing in TX and mold I found (1 time) surprised me. I'll probably get a Bell, because I think they're kind of a novelty, but my reason for asking was to see if there's a favorite brand.
This is the one I use and have sent as gifts. It holds 1 full stick of butter and has good reviews. The price of butter bells is all over the map on Amazon; this is a really nice one that comes in several colors.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016L4RME...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Jan in VA
Old 01-31-2017, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

The round ones are a pain to get the butter in. I use the rectangle one. I haven't found a use for cold hard butter except for some baking. I don't allow crumbs or smears of other foods in the butter. A utensil is used to get butter out of the keeper to the food, not used to spread and go back to the container. Even the young grands know to do this. Same with mayo or other spreads. Do not spread and put the utensil back in the jar. That is a big no no in my house.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

If you leave the butter stick in the wrapper, opened of course, the bowl stays much cleaner and fresher.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:45 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
The round ones are a pain to get the butter in.
It's really no problem at all. Let the butter soften on the opened paper wrapper, then use it to smush the butter into the bowl and smooth the top a bit. Easy peasy!! Have never had a problem with mine in 5 years!
Old 01-31-2017, 05:35 PM

Oh my gosh, no don't use the whole container to spread it. Yuck, no, what I meant by it falls out easier with the square type ones is that it seems to fall out back into the water dish and then next time I lift it up to use it the big clump of butter is floating around in the water. And yes, we use utensils in my household too...
The round ones are a pain to get the butter in. I use the rectangle one. I haven't found a use for cold hard butter except for some baking. I don't allow crumbs or smears of other foods in the butter. A utensil is used to get butter out of the keeper to the food, not used to spread and go back to the container. Even the young grands know to do this. Same with mayo or other spreads. Do not spread and put the utensil back in the jar. That is a big no no in my house.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:53 AM

I'm original poster. Found it new in box, not used $6.99 at Don-Wes Flea Market yesterday. Love it already.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sandra-P View Post
Oh my gosh, no don't use the whole container to spread it. Yuck, no, what I meant by it falls out easier with the square type ones is that it seems to fall out back into the water dish and then next time I lift it up to use it the big clump of butter is floating around in the water. And yes, we use utensils in my household too...

I meant no utensil is used to spread the butter and then used again to get more butter. My bell has handles so I can lift the butter part out of the water and set it back in without any water being spilled and no over flow. Never had butter get in the water. I don't use the invert butter bell.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

This is what I use:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]567557[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]567558[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails photo-1-5-.jpg   photo-2-6-.jpg  
Old 02-05-2017, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

This is what I use:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]567557[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]567558[/ATTACH]
thats what I use too. I posted a link to one on Amazon. I have a stick of butter in there right now. Half used. Still good.