Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Easy Angel Food Cake >

Easy Angel Food Cake

Easy Angel Food Cake

Old 04-29-2014, 03:31 AM

Default Easy Angel Food Cake

This is so quick and easy!

In a large bowl, add one box of Angel Food Cake Mix. To that, add 1 - 20 oz can of crushed pineapple, juice and all. With a spoon, mix well. It will bubble up, and turn into a frothy thing of beauty. Pour into a greased 9" X 13" pan, and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. This is so moist and wonderful, it does not even need to be frosted!
Old 04-29-2014, 11:58 AM
Power Poster

It is a delicious cake .... if you want to switch it up, instead of the pineapple use any can of prepared pie filling and follow the same recipe! You can put them into angel cake pans too, if you do not want a 9x13 cake.

My favourite combo is probably the apple pie filling with extra spice added to it. Second to that would be the Black Forest combo, using cherry pie filling as well as 1/3 cup bakers cocoa mixed in with the dry ingredients. Trim it up with a dusting of icing sugar and/or a wee bit of whipped cream!

I love this recipe as I can keep a box and can almost endlessly, in wait of that last minute need to make a cake problem when I don't have the ingredients and/or don't have the time!

ENJOY!!!!!
Old 04-29-2014, 10:19 PM

I just made one with lemon pies filling.
This recipe is also good for folks who can't eat or allergic to eggs or dairy.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:57 AM

Regarding egg allergies, angel food cake (the boxed mix) has the eggs already in it, in the form of powdered egg whites.

Example:

http://www.duncanhines.com/products/...food-cake-mix/

Sugar, Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour (Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Wheat Starch, Powdered Egg Whites (Egg Albumen, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate [Whipping Aid]), Leavening (Monocalcium Phosphate Monohydrate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Potassium Bitartrate). Contains 2% Or Less Of: Corn Starch, Maltodextrin, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Modified Cornstarch, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean And Cottonseed Oil
Old 04-30-2014, 03:23 AM

What size of lemon pie filling do you use? How does it turn out?
Old 04-30-2014, 04:41 AM

I made this recipe some time ago and it was rather tough and chewy...any ideas as to why that was??
Old 04-30-2014, 05:46 AM

I have made this recipe several times and we add Cool Whip to the top before eating, my friend uses vanilla pudding mix with Cool Whip added and says her family loves this. She is diabetic and uses the Sugar-Free pudding mix.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:23 AM

I made this cake for Easter dinner. Already had the mix on hand. Easy Peasy and delicious.
My dtr told me that Angel Food cake mix is getting hard to find. Sure enough, I was shopping
a few days later and no AF mix on the shelves.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:37 AM

Different fillings will make the denseness of the cake different. I.E. I used key lime pie filling (standard 15 oz. size) and the denseness was more firm and maybe 2" thick when cooled. More like a spongy bar cake. I used strawberry/rubarb and the cake rose really high and sank down to the 2" or so and was more dense. Lemon will be similar to the key lime. The chocolate filling left it a bit less dense. Same with the pineapple...probably because of the extra liquid in the can. The cherry was good but the taste was faint. It needs something else ....as topping maybe or add the cocoa powder. Because you aren't adding any other liquids that the box says the cake will not rise like a normal angel food cake and will be more dense and less fluffy in texture. This is what you might think as "tough and chewy" that makes it more like a bar cake.

Last edited by craftygater; 04-30-2014 at 06:42 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:18 AM

My mother called this "dead cake". She kept the ingredients on hand so that when the church called and needed food for a funeral, she could whip this up. She would stop and buy Cool Whip on her way to the church.