Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Easiest apple crisp recipe ever >

Easiest apple crisp recipe ever

Easiest apple crisp recipe ever

Old 09-30-2014, 07:07 AM

Sounds easy, but shouldn't there be oats?
Old 09-30-2014, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
Sounds good, and don't be afraid of the butter. You are going to be hearing more about eating butter.
Some scientists are finally catching on to the fact that the processed fats (margarine) are much worse than they thought. Our brain needs fat, no matter how old we are. And it should be good natural fat, like butter, bacon or coconut oil.
You are so right about the brain needs fat and I get mine from the 3 items you mentioned.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:07 PM

I would reduce the sugar by 1/3rd, not peel the apples and use whole wheat flour.

Actually, I make crisp with whole oats instead of flour, and just add, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter. My grandchildren call it, "Grammie Crisp"...it's one of their favorites.

I have always tried, and so have my children, to make food as healthy as possible. Obesity (35lbs overweight) is a disease that 38% (I think) of Americans suffer from. I know that over half of us are overweight. It can lead to diabetes, osteoarthritis, heart disease, (even children are being diagnosed with diabetes and high blood pressure))...not fun things to have. Now if I could just stop at one serving.....LOL!

Oops sorry....off my soapbox now....
Old 09-30-2014, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

Perfect! I have three very large and very sour Granny Smith apples that are too sour to just eat as is. I will try this recipe.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Wintersewer View Post
I would reduce the sugar by 1/3rd, not peel the apples and use whole wheat flour.

Actually, I make crisp with whole oats instead of flour, and just add, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter. My grandchildren call it, "Grammie Crisp"...it's one of their favorites.

I have always tried, and so have my children, to make food as healthy as possible. Obesity (35lbs overweight) is a disease that 38% (I think) of Americans suffer from. I know that over half of us are overweight. It can lead to diabetes, osteoarthritis, heart disease, (even children are being diagnosed with diabetes and high blood pressure))...not fun things to have. Now if I could just stop at one serving.....LOL!

Oops sorry....off my soapbox now....
Your recipe sounds great. I'm for less sugar, whole wheat flour or less flour, period. And the apple peelings are wonderful, too.
On my soap-box now. Try eating more fat (see my previous post) and less sugar or no sugar (well once in a while is OK) I lost 30 pounds eating 2 eggs every morning fried in butter. The egg protein helps me feel full until about 11:30. Then it's time to make lunch. When I am away from home, I eat sweets, but don't make them at home unless it is a carrot cake, pumpkin cake, or zucchini cake; made with real carrots, pumpkin or zucchini. Or apple and pear things with little or no sugar. Then I hide the leftovers. Out of sight, out of mind.
Enough soap-box already. Good luck on your good apple crisp.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
I don't think the type of apples really matters. We went apple picking and I picked two types that I don't know the name of. One was a yellow apple that was tart, the other looked like a Mac and was sweet. I used both types and it came out fine.
I think the type of apples make all the difference in the world, and you will, too, when you taste your apple crisp made with the right apples. We used to have Wolf Rivers, so I'm spoiled. Those trees are both gone now, but they were huge. Taller than our two story house.

My sister has the best tasting apples. I always know when I taste her apple bars at a pot luck or funeral. They are wonderful. I don't know what kind they are, but a baking apple that gets mushy when cooked is usually good.

We had an apple tree in our front yard that I wanted to get rid of. The apples were just not worth the work. No flavor at all. So my husband cut off all the branches that he could reach and piled dirt around the trunk. It died. Good riddance.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:57 PM

Great recipe -- though I like the idea of using oats. Wouldn't decrease the sugar since I have Granny Smith. I was also thinking this might be good with blackberries...

My Mom used to make apple crisp with cheddar cheese in the crumb crust.

Last edited by QuiltnLady1; 09-30-2014 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:30 AM

We fixed this Apple Crisp right after reading this recipe. It was wonderful and very easy.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:24 AM

I've made this recipe for years. It's also great with peaches! Love, love, love it.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:42 PM

Sounds like a great and easy recipe. can't wait to get some apples and try it. Thank you for sharing it.

PS, I am 82, never gave up the butter, will use the whole amount of sugar, and the flour sounds great to me. I eat my oats for breakfast.